How do I stop over thinking at night?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

NaturalScience
If you want to stay up, and tune out your thoughts, try reading or watching a new video/show/movie. Learning is a great way to stimulate our thoughts and occupy our minds. Another strong option is to create something. This provides you with an outlet for your thoughts and feelings, and has other psychological benefits, as well! Write a short story, or poetry, or diary entry. Paint. Make music. Meditation can also be effective to help control overactive thoughts. Visualization is especially useful for me. If you find these are not enough to quiet your mind, sleep is another great option. Exercising before the end of your day (which releases endorphins), consuming warm milk or turkey (which contain tryptophan), or simply listening to some relaxing sounds (rain is my favorite) might help you find peace in a good night's sleep.
HeyItsMeZoe
Listen to music without any lyrics, talk to yourself quietly, read, watch a movie, or write it all down before going to sleep (I find this really helps for me).
enigmaticMoment64
It's good to find a way to acknowledge, and then put aside the worries that are suddenly demanding attention. Try a few things out and see how they work for you. Making a short list of "what to think on", or "what to do" can really help some people! Maybe a diary can serve a similar function to write down what is in your mind, so there's no need for it to repeat itself. Maybe a few things that reduce stress (meditation, sports ..) can help too.
magicsparklerainbowpony
No one method works for everyone. That said there are a few things I can recommend you try, based on my own experiences. The first is to avoid technology and/or social media for an hour or two before bed. I also heartily recommend meditation as a way to calm the mind. I have had a great deal of success with essential oils, specifically lavender and chamomile. Chamomile tea is also good for calming. Best of luck!
Anonymous
I personally listen to music, or play video games. Just do anything to keep my mind busy. In bed I meditate till I fall asleep, or focus on thinking about positive things or upcoming projects I want to work on. Doing yoga everyday helps me be in a good mood and be relaxed throughout the day, so I do it every morning.
MilaMaric1
Write down your thoughts, write a book about your feelings and thoughts. Or draw it
SparklingStarbuck
Its simple. Think of only one thing. That one thing should be your ultimate goal of life. In sleep we attract all the prominent thoughts. So the best thing to do in this situation is to sleep over our goals and make it happen. May the joy be with you:-)!!!
ladycat946
You can try to listen to music or to watch a movie and fall asleep on it. You could try to take a bath before going to bed, so your body will be prepared to rest. You can make a list or write in a diary about what you have to do tomorrow or about your worries. :)
Anonymous
I simply think of new possibilities or new ways of understanding what worries me about them. I realize that Probably someday she will be out there, or that problem will be solved by me, and taht it just isnt right now.
HopieRemi
When I can not stop thinking at night, what I do is write down my thoughts until I have gotten them all out of my head and onto paper, and I analyze those thoughts so I understand them.
here4you201
This is what have helped me along my journey when I encountered sleepless nights. I don't think about trying to go to sleep, I just try to relax and let sleeping comes to me. Diaphragmatic breathing technique helps as well.
Joner2016
You should read books or listen to some good music to divert your mind. Or else you should try stretching your body.
Anonymous
Music, if you have a window look out into the night sky or go outside, think of the vastness of space and all the stars, Klingons, vortex, anomalies, quasars, black holes, nebulae, and how they all go on forever and ever, infinitely, then use your mind to go past it all, past the universe itself you can picture it, there is nothing there. That is where sleep is, where we all sleep.
Anonymous
I like to write down everything on my mind that night...good and bad. this way I know im not just going to forget it but I can leave it all alone so I can sleep. I remind myself I need this sleep or everything becomes harder and harder to cope with. sometimes I find relatable soothing songs and listen to some before bed!
TheBuddy
Write down your thoughts on paper. Then decide to leave them there on the paper and revisit them in the morning. They are now on paper so you don't have to remember them and can go to sleep. You might find in the morning that your problems aren't as bothersome as they were the night before.
Anonymous
I stop over thinking at night by drawing and doing things that I love. It really makes me feel happy and doing things I love guides me in the right direction.
Pleiades924
I have so much trouble falling asleep due to overthinking. It's as if every fantasy, every memory, every thought you can imagine comes flooding into my brain. My trick: ambiance. There are apps for Android and iPhone, plus software and websites online. My favorite is the app Lightning Bug. It offers so many sounds you can mix together for the perfect ambient experience. Just focus on those sounds that make you feel relaxed and you'll fall asleep faster and easier.
Tiffany88
Make sure to always go to sleep when you're physically worn out. If that isn't naturally achieved try exercising before bed and taking a relaxing shower. Don't bring electronics to bed with you except perhaps an mp3 player or ebook reader. No caffeine.
Anonymous
In order to stop over thinking at night, it can help to organize your thoughts before going to bed. For example, if you tend to over think about how you are doing at school and your grades, it can help to make lists of courses you are taking, and prioritize them in, say, the order of easiest to hardest,make lists of the readings/assignments, and then assigning days of the week to each other. When you get to bed and feel like you are over thinking, you can recall the lists you made to reassure yourself that you have it under control. Another method is to decide to focus on something specific, like a song (preferably a positive song) in bed.
Anonymous
Name your bed only a space to relax. Make yourself some tea or something along those lines, and read a book or listen to relaxing music. Also asmr videos can do wonders! Hope this helped :)
TranquilLavenderFields
Try and set up a routine at night. Perhaps a herbal tea, book, or and a bath. Remember to avoid telephone/tablet screen lights as these can effect how relaxation for many hours, post event.
Anonymous
Try reading a book because it distracts you and also tell yourself that you're not going to over think anything tonight and you're going to bed or whatever ...
Proportionality
I tend to watch tv to keep my mind on something. It helps to relax me, although there are some things you just cant not think about.
BatmanAtYourService
Overthinking is bad when done out of limits. You can try distracting yourself with music...meditation...novels...movies...games...mindfulness exercises at 7cups :) just take care of yourself...only you can pull yourself out of the trap. Better if you try to look into the root cause and work towards it :)
Anonymous
I understand that people tend to start thinking at night as its calm and relaxing. One way that would help is to put on some music that you like and either sing with it or listen to the lyric.
Ency
Usually what I do is I come up with a song that makes me feel better (one I make up or one I heard somewhere else) and then hum it to myself using the lyrics to block out unwanted thoughts. Eventually I drop off to sleep.
Brianna129
Great Question! Try getting a Journal. Every night before bed write down whatever comes to mind. When you are down put the Journal down and close your eyes.
featheringcrescendo
Try to focus on something else. Think about your favourite television show, or book. Take a break and relax. Doodle something to distract you.
Anonymous
I've had this problem for a long time, I'm a chronical insomniac so I understand the feeling, it may sound cliché but counting sleeps really helped me, or try singing a lullaby in your head, it can really relax you😊
anonymous9irl
Maybe try doing things to distract yourself or do things you find calming. Watch a movie, listen to music, read a book, have a bath, sleep if you can. Overthinking can be quite worrying sometimes I understand that, so distracting yourself from the thoughts might be something to try, good luck