How do I stop over thinking at night?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

clareangelica
To stop over thinking at night, I find it so helpful to set a night time routine and follow it daily. Giving myself a routine helps me focus on my own wellbeing rather than whatever else is bothering me. Two things that really help ease over thinking at night time are journalling and meditation. Journalling is perfect for getting out all of your stresses and worries, allowing you to better think through your feelings. Once you right down everything you're feeling in a journal, I find it to be relieving, those negative thoughts out of my mind and only existing in the journal. Meditation works in a similar way. Meditating before bed allows you to process and let go of whatever is bothering you, focusing on calmness and serenity. Guided meditation really helps to ground yourself and your thoughts, making you less likely to become overwhelmed by your thoughts throughout the night.
Anonymous
December 3rd, 2020 3:15am
I think it would be helpful to create a schedule that you follow at night. This way you get your body used to knowing that at a certain time or when you start doing certain things it's time to go to sleep. Also, it might be helpful to write out your thoughts. You could write out your thoughts using paper and pencil. You could write in a journal that you keep by your bed, or on random pieces of trash/scratch paper. You could also try just typing out your thoughts on your computer or phone. You could do this by using your notes app, writing in a word processor, texting/emailing yourself (or keeping it in the drafts section), etc.
pinesandpalmtrees
I use grounding exercises to reorient myself to the present, like 54321, i.e., five things I can see, four things I can feel, three things I can hear, two things I can smell, one thing I can taste. Then I breath in and out slowly, expanding my stomach (not my chest) and making the exhale longer. This helps me almost every time. I also make a point to "schedule" my worrying. I make lists and problem-solve twice a day--once in the morning and once in the evening around dinner time--not too close to bedtime. When I feel myself dwelling too much, I remind myself of my schedule and that ruminating doesn't help me. These techniques help me almost all the time. I hope they can help you, too. :)
lia2804
Hi! Overthinking is something many of us are susceptible to. It is a part of human nature and you should not feel ashamed when you do so. One possible way to overcome overthinking is to complete a relaxation ritual before sleeping. This can help to clear your mind and place you in a comfortable mindset. I personally use the free app Pzizz which has a sleep guide that takes you through the processing of drifting of and allows you to personalise the track as you would like. Try to normalise this routine as your mind will then recognise the realization ritual as a sign that deep sleep is near.