How many hours of sleep do I need in a night?

Susana diaz, lpc

I believed that to be a successful therapist is to be able to empathize and connect with all clients. My work with clients is to help them identify resources to cope.

cashmeredreams
It varies from person to person. It is usually accepted that a person should get between 7-8 hours a night, but some people have been okay on just 3-4 hours. Others might need 11-14 hours to feel refreshed.
Arkelight
You need between 7-9 hours of sleep per night depending on your age, circumstances, etc. Under sleeping and Oversleeping can have negative effects on your health.
ChibiGinger
It depends on the Person. Most People are saying that you need 6 - 8 hours. I am only sleeping max. 4 hours at night and my doc says that it is all right as long as I am not tired in the day.
wonderer
While they say 8 hours of sleep is ideal, many people can survive on less then that. Many adults can live with 6 hours of sleep a night. It really depends on the individual what works best. If you are feeling exhausted when you wake up or feeling like you need a nap in the middle of the day it could be you aren't getting enough sleep.
Ej
It should be noted that the amount of sleep varies from person to person, age to age, and lifestyle to lifestyle. It is recommended for most healthy adults that 7.5-9 hours is ideal and even more for teenagers. The aforementioned standards are also recognized by the National Sleep Foundation and should be advocated as such; no simple answer is warranted or permissible to all individuals as universally acceptable. In essence, there is no magical answer. Tinkerbell wouldn't like that answer. :( The scenario provided is the "U-turn" example, and applies to adults. One one line is short-duration sleep, usually measured between 3-5 hours of sleep. Shortness in sleep leads to increase in body mass index (BMI), increase risk in diabetes and heart disease, increase risk in mental illnesses, and so on. On the other line is too much sleep, typically referred to as more than 8-9 hours depending on the study. Although there is strong evidence linking too much sleep as a negative, it should be noted this is still refuted as correlation (the likelihood of sleeping too much leads to negative impacts) doesn't necessarily mean causation (sleeping too much IS harmful). Using this knowledge provided, it would be best to consult the family physician as they would be able to consider all of your biological and social variables. Some researchers (Youngstedt and Kripke) even believe those sleeping more than 8 hours a day would benefit from decreasing sleep to 8 hours max just as those with increased appetites would benefit from controlling eating habits. Since the studies are ongoing, adapting, evolving, and changing, it would be best to consult the family physician for the most accurate answer, or seek a professional in the appropriate field who specializes in this area.
Rollinginthedeep
Typically spending 6-8 hours sleeping works best for me, I think somewhere in that range is reasonable.
Teasley4031
I think that the hours of sleep one needs at night is going to vary person to person. I think a minimum of 6 hours is what's needed, but some people need more. Now yes, you're going to get the occasional person that SAY they only need 2-3 hours of sleep per night and while they might be able to function during the day, are they able to really reach their full potential had they gotten a good nights rest? I think people need to be aware of the signals their body is sending them, if your body is indicating it needs more sleep to function properly, then get more sleep (without oversleeping! There's such a fine line between the two)
zzz
Each person has different needs. To find out your own pattern, you can try setting up an alarm to wake up at the same time everyday and pay attention to at what time at night you usually get tired enough to sleep. Usually it will be a little more or less than 8 hours, often more for teenagers.
SoaringSky
January 2nd, 2015 11:46pm
Almost anyone you ask this question would say 8, but from my experience, it depends on what you're used to. I have suffered from insomnia for years, and have gotten by on very little sleep. Now that I've made serious progress with my anxiety and my sleeping problems, I find that while I am able to sleep for longer periods of time, especially with the aid of medication, I feel worse than I do when I sleep very little. For me, the most I can manage is 5 or 6 hours or so.
ScreenNamesAreHardToChoose
When I was at my best, I was sleeping a solid consistant 6 hours a night, although you should be fine sleeping up to 8 or 9 hours, as long as it's the same consistent amount of time, and at roughly the same time you go to sleep and wake up. Any more than that, or if the time you go to sleep/wake up is at different times from day-to-day, then you will notice some grogginess during the day, and you may not function very well mentally.
tealGrapes4767
@cashmeredreams has a point, it depends on the person. I personally think that we must sleep between 8-9 hours a night. And it it is good to make a nap after having lunch every day if it's possible. This helps us to be active during the day.
Anonymous
Well, it's always different. It depends on how I feel. When I'm very stressed, I tend to sleep more during the day. And other days i dont have a choice on how much i sleep because school.
Anonymous
For teens between thirteen and seventeen years old, about nine hours of sleep is the doctor recommended amount.
OrangeSlices
This does vary person to person, usually though a person should get between 7-8 hours a night, maybe even 9! But I have known some people that rely off 3-4 hours. I myself need about 12 hours to even feel brand new again and ready for a new day. They say 7-8 hours (From what I've read in articles and such) Best of luck though, get as many Z's as you can! :)
Mandymb12497
About eight to nine hours of sleep every night is a healthy sleep. Most people get around eight hours
Maddiejb202
It depends on age. if you are 16 and under i recommend around 8. 17 and up can have about 6-7. that is a realistic answer though. the proper recommended amount is 9-10 for ages 15 andunder. Also, 7-8 For 17 and up.
floatingonclouds
Please, please try to get 9 hours and 15 minutes every night at least! Especially if you are a student... when you learn new things at school, your brain has it freshly stored in your memory. When you go to bed, all of what you learnt has to be processed in a certain amount of time. So if you sleep late, your brain has less time to process all that information!
Anonymous
May 3rd, 2016 3:07am
You need eight hours of sleep in a night. Well, something that I heard on the radio was seven hours and forty-six minutes.
Anonymous
at least 7-8 hours a day if you practice polyphasic sleep maybe atleast 4 hrs
Anonymous
I think about 8 hours
MariaCuddleBunnyCx
In my opinion, I believe anything from 7-9 hours. Any less will leave you drowsy however, any more will also leave you in an unhealthy state!
ErinKay
It depends on age and many other different factors. The average is 8. The goal is to find a time where you wake up feeling refreshed. It's also important to wake up in the right time of your sleep cycle so you don't feel groggy.
healingHelp
Varies from person to person, age is an important factor. Children or the elderly need around 10 hours sleep a night, while adults are usually suggested to have around 8. But find what works for you, some people are fine with only 5 hours sleep, some can't survive having less than 10 hours!
enjoyiableForest82
7 hours of sleep maximum. If you can't 6 will be okay but it I very important to rest your body, if you don't it might cause long term problems
Anonymous
It depends on how old you are, what you do during the day, and how early you need to wake up and the difficulty of the things you need to get done. I'd say, if possible, get 6-8 hours of sleep each night, if not more. If you can't do it one night, it's okay. You're going to be fine, I promise.
Daisy9600
8 Hours is usually best in most cases, its really positive to get a good nights rest. If you dont get enough sleep this can have an affect on your mood, motivation and well being.
thoughtfulApple41
This depends on age and individual. For the most generic and we 5 to 8 hours is good. If your a teen you need more because your brain is doing more neural clipping than at any other time. As you age you need less sleep. To much sleep can be just as detrimental as to little. For myself I find I function best with 3 to 4 hours and then an afternoon nap of about an hour