How much sleep should I get daily?

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

Anonymous
The amount of sleep one should get differs by age. Usually adults need about 7 to 9 hours of sleep on a daily basis. Teens and pregnancy women may need more. Some need as less as 6 hours, whereas some need 10 hours of sleep. Just make sure you feel relaxed and ready to start the day when you wake up. Doctors generally recommend going to sleep early and waking up early. Nutritionists also recommend taking afternoon naps to lift your mood, ease your stress and improve your performance at work. It is also a great way to take a break in the middle of the day.
Tenakha
Sleep required differs from person to person. 7-8 hours is considered average. If you are having issues sleeping try removing caffeine altogether, or at least try to only drink tea/coffee in the morning. Zero coffee/tea will definitely help you sleep better! I'm speaking from personal experience. Another trick is to avoid using screens at night time, the blue light from monitors, laptops and phones keeps the brain awake. If you avoid looking at bright screens one hour before you intend to go to sleep that will also help a lot. Some people need to play "white noise" to help block out outside noise. You can get a 'sound conditioner' device which sounds a bit like a fan - and that also aids sleep massively! Wish you all the best.
Anonymous
most adults need 7 to 9 hours, although some people may need as few as 6 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day. older adults (ages 65 and older) need 7-8 hours of sleep each day. women in the first 3 months of pregnancy often need several more hours of sleep than usual. young adults can get 7 to 9 hours of sleep as recommended by the national sleep foundation — with 6 hours being appropriate. less than 6 hours is not recommended. in conclusion, there is a large amount of diversity in the hours of sleep everyone gets based on the age group.
mamtasha22
Hey there! I hope you are having a nice day. That is an amazing question. How much sleep you should get can depend on your body. Commonly we know 7 to hours a day. But it can depend on your body and its need on how much sleep your body needs to feel rested and function properly. Some people need 4 to 6 hours of sleep some need 7 to 8 and some need 12 hours of sleep to feel rested. I hope the answer helped and you find out how much sleep works for you and helps you feel rested.
NinaBee
If you're a young child, 11-14 hours a day. If you're a teen, 8-10 hours. If you're an adult, 6-8 hours, I believe. But here's the thing! Kids and adults start to produce melatonin at around 9:30pm, if I remember correctly. But teens only start to produce that melatonin an hour and a half later, at 11:00pm because of all the funky brain development going on. So if you're a teen, take the time between everyone else's bedtime and your own to slow down, unwind and disconnect from outside stimulus. It'll make your sleep more, both in quality and in quantity. And yes, this means teens should be sleeping until 9:00am. Only 1 in 10 American teens get as much sleep as they actually need, and it's not only because of phones. Sleep well!
HugAddict
While everyone is different, humans on average needs at least 8 hours of sleep every day. For me though, any less than 10 hours is usually going to impact how sharp I am, so don't feel that you are abnormal if you deviate from the 8 hour average mark. If you are worried, consulting with your doctor is also a great choice to alert you to any potential issues regarding your sleep patterns, and to give you assurance that you appear to lead a normal life. Sleep has major implications on our mood and behavioral well being, so it's great that you are paying close attention to it. Good luck and happy sleeping!
royalEars2012
That depends on a variety of factors. Scientists have created a general guideline of how much sleep you should get daily, but there are exceptions. For instance, it is more important to get quality sleep than a larger amount of sleep. For instance, sleeping for three-four hours and getting a full REM cycle would be better in most cases than getting five hours of sleep where you wake up every twenty minutes. If it becomes a serious concern, consider bringing it up to your doctor who would be able to more accurately tell you how much sleep you need and methods to get that amount of sleep.
rainyFlute197
It varies from person to person. I probably need 8 hours of sleep to get up feeling refreshed and not grumpy. The important thing is to have a fixed time to wake up in the morning even if you go to bed late. If we keep on training our body and mind like that, our body gets adjusted and will feel sleepy automatically at the right time so that you will be get sufficient sleep. For example, if you wake up everyday at 6 am and your body needs 8 hours of sleep, we will feel automatically tired and sleepy by 10 pm.
Anonymous
Depending on your age, it can range from 6-12 hours. Although, I'm assuming most of you aren't babies, so it'd be more like 6-10 hours. Teens need 8-10 hours of sleep each night and adults need 6-8. Sleep is incredibly important for many different reasons. So, yes, you DO need it each and every night. And, no, you can't actually catch up on sleep over the weekend. That's not how it works. Random tip: if you're having a hard time falling asleep, try creating a sleep schedule. Having proper sleep hygiene is crucial to a good sleep schedule. Good luck, everyone! And sweet dreams!
Anonymous
National Sleep Foundation guidelines advise that healthy adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night. Babies, young children, and teens need even more sleep to enable their growth and development. People over 65 should also get 7 to 8 hours per night. Apart from the official recommendations, I personally like to figure out my 'sweet spot' myself, because each one of us is unique and we all use up different amounts of energy during a normal day. Some people might find that 5 hours is enough, although, some individuals may not be able to function properly without sleeping for more than 8-9 hours!
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2021 6:31pm
I always find that 7 hours is the right amount for me. Oversleeping can really affect me throughout the day, making me feel groggy and unmotivated and ironically, more tired too. I like to curb this by having a healthy sleep pattern. However, I think everyone is different and if need be, getting up to 9 can be important. Especially if you are a teenager/ young adult. Sleep is vital and can impact so many parts of our mental health and wellbeing. In order to feel my best, most refreshed, and motivated for the day ahead of me, I like to get 7 hours of sleep a night.
Fadedletters00
December 23rd, 2021 2:38pm
Ideally, resources say an adult needs at least 7-9 hours of sleep daily. Now, it also depends on the person, their health, medical history, and overall lifestyle when it comes to deciding their sleep window. There are monks in monasteries sleeping for 5 hours daily and still maintaining amazing health while there are college students suffering from a range of issues due to over-sleeping. I suggest you observe your own sleep pattern and decide how much sleep lets you be productive throughout the day. There are no hard and fast rules as to how much sleep an average adult needs. As long as we are having a beauty sleep of a minimum of 5 hours, I think we are good to go!
cheerfulIceCream
How much sleep one needs different from person to person. An average teenager needs eight to ten hours of sleep every night while an average adult needs about seven to eight/nine hours of sleep. Six hours of sleep per night may be enough for some. Woman in pregnancy tend to require more sleep than other adults.
brightTurtle5778
Well, I think we have all heard that 8 hours of sleep is ideal. However, I don't think that it is necessary for everyone to get that amount of sleep every night. I don't think that it is practical, considering that everyone's lifestyle is different, and some people might not have 8 consecutive hours in the day to spare. I know, personally, I have gotten 4-6 hours of sleep and I woke up feeling just fine for the day ahead. I think it truly depends on you personally. Whatever amount of sleep that revives you is unique to you. Remember, that naps can be your best friend!