If I sleep too much, is it my own fault that I'm so tired all the time?

Cassandra Coleman-Heppler, LCSW, LICSW

I believe that problems are separate from the person having them and that our own stories and how we look at our own stories directly influences how we perceive those problems

MeiMei97
That sounds harsh. Assigning blame - whether it's to someone else or to ourselves - rarely (if ever) does any good. Perhaps, you could try examining the reasons that lead you to sleep too much and then try out ways to counter those factors. You may find that more constructive and empowering. Good luck to you. :)
wishfairy
There can be lots of reasons why you sleep too much. Firstly you must make sure that when you sleep you sleep undisturbed. Sometimes we sleep "a long time" but we wake up a lot and then we don't feel rested in the morning. Lots of sleep can also be a symptom of depression or other medical problems or you can simply be exhausted after a long stressful period and it is your body's way of healing. Whatever the reason, the answer is no- it is not your fault. If you are troubled by the fact that you are sleeping too much I suggest the first step would be to talk your medical doctor and make sure there is no medical reason for it. He will be able to help you or send you to the right person to help you with your problem.
Anonymous
No,sometimes we sleep because there is something more than just being tired.If it starts becoming a serious problem,and persists with feelings of sadness,worthlessness and loss of motivation you may consider telling your doctor.
Anonymous
Well. why do you sleep all the time.......................................................................................................................
Anonymous
Sleeping a lot does usually promote a sedentary lifestyle. Averaging 8 hours a night is usually best. It may not be the specific reason you are tired, but sleeping over 10 hours a night does usually psychologically promote more sleepiness.
mellowforsure
It is definitely not your own fault. There could possibly be an underlying health issue such as a sleep disorder, a thryroid problem or depression. It is best to consult with your doctor to try to nail down the reason you are so tired and take care of it.
Anonymous
Sometimes sleeping too much can make me tired. Its something I struggle with a lot, but I find some light exercise and good sleep hygiene can really help!
SilentSerenityy
Sleeping too much can make you feel tired which is kind of ironic. You should get up when your body naturally wakes you up.
yourhope
Nope it can also be a medical problem or may be due to insufficient diet. Try to improvise your diet. If you play a lot reduce it.If the problem is still there better consult your physicia
Apanda
Being tired can be due to a lot of different things. Sleeping too much can definitely contribute to that. This doesn't mean being tired is your fault, just that you might want to try other things to increase your energy. Consider working out, eating healthy, spending less time on the computer, and getting involved in activities. In the meantime, try reducing your sleep by 1/2 hour. It's possible you;re waking up at a bad point during your sleep cycle.
politeFish31
No, sometimes you could be just going under a lot of stress, you're genuinely tired or sometimes there are medical reasons. Listen to our body to work out why it is that way. It may mean that you might need to take some time out for some self care. It is normal to sleep to heal your body
Anonymous
It is not your fault. You just sleep a lot, and that is just the side-effect of it: tiredness. If you do not like that feeling of being tired all the time, try playing with how many hours you sleep every night, to see what is the best number of hours for your body. Also, try setting your alarm clock 1 hr. 30 minutes before you are really supposed to wake up, so, you have time to just lay there, and /slowly/ wake up, instead of having to wake up running. (I just figured out it helps me. I just need to try to do it more often.)
chale
While sleeping patterns do affect tiredness levels, sometimes things like iron levels, eating patterns, vitamins, daily activities, and other things impact sleep too! I find for myself that my anxiety usually causes me exhaustion despite how much sleep I get. Or if I have too much going on in life at the moment, that takes a toll too. Take a look at your current living habits and see if anything else may be affecting you. Worst case, it might be worth while getting your iron checked, because that usually has a huge impact on energy levels.
Anonymous
It may be that you are tired for a different reason, other than lack of sleep, if getting a lot of sleep doesn't seem to help. I hope you feel better soon!