What are some natural ways to achieve a better sleep?

Rory Boutilier, Registered Professional Counsellor

I use a client-centered, solution-focused approach. Particular interests in: depression, anxiety, life stress, change, and self-injury.

redxxsunflowervol6
One can began to work out before heading to bed at night. This will help one fall asleep and stay asleep. I also find it is easier to fall asleep if one takes a break from their phone before falling asleep at night. Reading or something similar to calm the mind before resting may also help. I believe finding something that is soothing and helps you to relax before getting into bed is beneficial. Creating a routine may also help, if you get used to doing something it becomes a way for your brain to associate behaviors with sleep.
Anonymous
Hello, I too have struggled with sleep issues for my entire life as has my entire family. Are used to get up in the middle of the night and clean the house or get up and eat because I couldn’t sleep which only made the problem worse. Then I started to dread going to sleep so I go to bed really late and then I had a lot of trouble getting up in the morning so I was grumpy etc. Here is how I solve my sleep issues. The first thing I did was I put up black out curtains such that no light comes through the window at all and there is no nightlight or any other light in my bedroom. The second thing I did was have quiet time in the hour before bed which means no screens no talking on the phone no fast music no running around the house even if I feel energetic to get my body into a calm state. The third thing I did wasI had to eat very lightly at night because indigestion will really disturb my sleep. The fourth thing I did was to stop worrying about not being able to sleep – I wake up often in the middle of the night and what the doctor told me it was that even if I lie there with closed I rest it’s at least 50% of the benefits of sleep. All myself that even if I’m not sleeping I’m getting some benefits and just by lying there with my eyes close I would drift back to sleep more than if I got up and started playing on my phone. I have also read that if you have a sleep routine, that helps train the body to automatically get ready for sleep. For example there was a time in my life where I would set an alarm for an hour before bed and I would go and wash my face brush my teeth lion bed and do some stretches write in my journal and do some deep breathing. I need to get back to that because it was very helpful and I started to be able to sleep at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning. If something is really bothering me, I try to get it out of my system by journaling about it or calling a friend or doing some exercise. I’ve come along way from the days of only sleeping until 2 AM. Oh one other very important thing that worked for me was to never look at the clock when I would wake up multiple times in the night because my brain would tell me 4 AM as close to 8 AM I may as well just get up. These habits have worked far better for me than sleep aids or melatonin. Good luck to you!