What can I do to fall asleep faster?

Shawn Wilson, LCSW

I provide supportive counseling and psychotherapy. I utilize cognitive-behavioral and solution focused strategies to address client concerns. Personal coaching is available.

AndrePasolympia
Aware of my breathing.. aware of my body.. aware of my tension.. and let go all of them in the deepest bliss.. the infinite possibilities.. the abyss of love.. let go.. just let go.. and let your body and mind.. rest.. rest.. and rest..
Varna
Make sure have a peaceful environment. Try listening to melodious and soothing music. Massaging and oiling your hair regularly not only improves blood circulation but induces sleep as well. Taking deep breaths and concentrating on your breathing also helps you sleep faster. You can also try counting 1-100 and backwards in your mind while sleeping. Atleast one of these must work. Happy sleeping! :)
PhoebeKK
I don't personally know you but for me, I listen to music or read a book. Do you think that might help?
sofchologist
Try to feel the air getting in and out of your lungs, and try to focus on the feeling you get by doing it.
jennynenny143
Melatonin supplements are my secret trick! They are healthy, natural sleep aids with no drowsy after effects! Melatonin is stored in the brain, and can actually be found in a lot of foods. My old Psychology teacher used to tell us, "If you can't sleep, have a milkshake!"
fruitysunshine
Sleeping can be tricky for some as for rest of the others with the hard work and tiredness people sleep but for some no matter how much you work hard throughout the day you will be wide awake in the night or struggling to sleep. I think this is related to our peace of mind, if our mind is wandering with different thoughts and emotions are overflowing we are unable to sleep in the night. Usually when this happens to me I listen to tibetan bowl sounds - Close my eyes with a Shavasana yoga pose and listen to the sounds while deep inhale and exhale. Again my mind tries to wander but no matter what I try to bring it back again to concentrate the bowl sounds, It soothes my mind and stops all the thoughts, within minutes I fall asleep. This works for me, so it can work for you as well there are different music which helps us to sleep but personally I like tibetian bowl sound. There are other ways to sleep fast is to scribble a page with whatever thoughts are flowing on your mind that time. Hope this helps, thank you :)
bountifulWhisper17
To fall asleep faster, there are many methods that may help. These consist of listening to calm music before bed, staying away from electronics up to an hour before going to bed (i know, it can be hard to do this step sometimes), reading a book, meditating, trying to keep yourself awake (i know it may sound the opposite of what you want to do, but trying to stay awake tricks your mind into becoming more tired), slowly counting up to 100 (this helps calm your mind and helps prevent you to think about other things that may keep you awake), and keeping your room at about a 65 degree temperature (sometimes you may not be able to fall asleep if you are too hot). I hope this helps!
Silentmoon
If you want you can listening to ASMR, it's the the sound of whispering. You can find a lot of videos on the web. It's very relaxing
Harri
Getting some good exercise regularly through the day can be great, maybe going for a jog once a day.
conrad1337
Eating healthy and setting up a rigid sleep regiment is a very good start! Once you get into the habit of sleeping at a set time, you will find it easier to get to sleep!
ChrisRabin
Before you sleep, Take 5 deep consecutive breaths. Lie down and feel the load of oxygen in your brain :)
Seraphina
What works the best for me is having a humidifier and air purifier and clean sheets. I fall asleep like a baby!
Anonymous
One of my personal methods of falling asleep faster is putting on some calming music and relaxing your mind and body until suddenly you fall asleep without even realising.
Anonymous
you could make your bed only for sleep and don't do any major thinking. no use of phone and could listen to light music
Anonymous
A trick I used was to count back from one hundred by twos. If you are having trouble with a snoring roommate, use earphones to block it out. I suggest using something soft like rain or soft music.
Zoe14
I find it helps to try a number of things, and do what feels good that night! Some things which have helped me in the past are: bedtime yoga, valerian root tea, listening to an audiobook, or soft music, giving myself a foot rub, putting coconut or sesame oil on my body, taking a really warm bath and then hopping right into bed.
Anonymous
You could use sachets filled with herbs that protect you from nightmares and also help you fall asleep, be sure to use the right herbs.
TejVai92
I did suffered from insomnia and i did following activities which helped me a lot. I hope these suggestions help. To have faster sleeps you can include the following in your day. * Wake up early and do some workout or jogging. * avoid sleeping in the afternoon. * avoid coffee in the evening. * try socializing more with friends or relatives. * Maintain a good diet
Anonymous
What do you so before you go to sleep? Try reading before bed, listening to calm relaxing music. Avoid stimuli like television as they can often leave you think afterwards. Don't eat right before going to bed and don't go to bed on an empty stomach either. There are also some sleep applications that you can get that I have heard really help some people to sleep.
PashT007
Take time to allow your body to wind down. This will allow your body the time it needs to rest. No tv and read a book or something, this may help.
Anonymous
I think what made me sleep better is when I am more active and busy during the day. When I make myself tired from the day I tend not to stay up late thinking.
Anonymous
May 3rd, 2015 6:22am
There are many ways by which you can fall asleep faster,you can surf it in Google.But you have to remind yourself the main cause why you have difficulty falling asleep or why you want to fall asleep faster. Try to ignore over-thinking and close your eyes and try to sleep :)
mushymushroom
Some ways to help you sleep faster are: - Drinking warm drinks (make sure it's decaf!) - Listening to music - Having a nice phone call before bed - Cuddling or stroking a pet - Exercising before bed - Reading - Doing something boring - Close your eyes and count in your head - Write in a journal
Twokindears
Sometimes listening to relaxing music or reading a book may help you to wind down. It really depends on what is relaxing to you. Freeing the mind or at least trying to can also help. By this I mean not allowing the nagging or intrusive thoughts of today to carry over into the next day!
Rosealyn
Read! Do sudoku! Crosswords! Color! (my favorite) Getting away from a bright screen, like your cell phone, helps your body realize that it is time for sleep. Lower your lights and take time to relax.
magicallyMist84
If you read before you go to bed it calms your mind. I tend to be more comfortable when there is complete darkness, but some prefer a night light. Try to not think about all the things you have to do the next day.
picturesque03afterthought
You can try writing your thoughts down before going to sleep, it helps in clearing your mind and to some extent it also helps with over thinking. Apart from this some of the common things that can be done is to not drink coffee before going to bed, try not to use your bed fro anything but sleeping, stay away from blue light before going to sleep. You can even try listening to soothing music or anything according to your taste that can help you to relax.
JungRogers1950
Focus on your breathing and all of the sensations associated with it (sound of breathing, feeling of air passing through nostrils and throat, the rhythm of your breaths).
Anonymous
To fall asleep faster for me as having insomnia I am prescribed medicine to help me sleep. I also sometimes would read a book or listen to music to help me fall asleep a little a faster.
Anonymous
Build a night time routine, exhaust yourself physically by going to the gym, meditate, journal, draw, do anything that takes your mind off of things. Dim your room & limit access to monitors/ devices.