What could it mean if I am sleeping too much?

Penny Dahlen, Ed.D., LPC

I am committed to helping you find your passion, heal old wounds, and flow smoother in all aspects of your life path! I use a compassionate listening approach.

Anonymous
Sleeping too much can indicate depression or other stress related disorders. It can indicated an inability to cope with current stressors and the person may be feeling too tired to just deal with anything in life. There can also be a pathophysiological component to it where the person may be sick. Sleeping too much requires a person to seek professional and medical help because it can indicate underlying medical problems. I would advise someone to seek medical or professional help to really find out what is the reason behind their need to be sleeping too much, as it is not healthy.
Anonymous
August 22nd, 2020 11:22pm
Although I am not an expert from personal experience it could mean depression or that something is going on in your life that you may want to avoid. I've had periods of time in my life where I sleep most of the time to avoid life but sometimes the best thing to do is force yourself to do something you enjoy. But if you force yourself and you feel you cannot do it, don't get angry at yourself. It's okay, you're trying. If you're really worried about sleeping too much and you can consult a professional it may be the best choice.
PurplePancake4597
Sleeping too much could be a variety of things, it could be you're catching up on sleep if you haven't been sleeping enough. Though it can also be a sign of depression. I at least notice that when I personally hit a depressive episode, I have an increased need for sleep. If you're concerned about excessive sleep/sleeping, I would suggest that you speak with your doctor about your concerns. The reason I suggest the doctor, is because there could be a medical reason causing the sleep problems you are experiencing. If it's something else, they would be able to send you to the appropriate person to help you further.
Gabriel2250
It could mean that I am lacking motivation and avoiding the present moment. Oftentimes, I hope to fall asleep and wake up with an entirely new mindset but in reality, this is just fear-based procrastination. It is almost as if it feels safer in my bed and feels like an escape from reality. Too much sleep could also be a result of over exhaustion. Sleep is vital to a healthy body and mind, just be sure there is some structure behind it. I will typically give myself a bedtime and do some brief meditation beforehand as well as leave my phone in another room.
Duetelll
It could mean either of a few things: Depression, stress, emotional burnout, low nutrition, and other less common reasons. I deal with all four, which leaves me exhausted. Sleeping is the way the mind recoups after a long day. If one is going through a lot mentally, physical symptoms can show. We all know by experience stress will make you quite tired! As for depression, constant sleeping usually is due to lack of motivation/drive. Emotional burnout, as I call it, is similar to stress, but can include anger and other strong emotional episodes. If you are feeling quite strongly a lot of the time, the brain can become tired after dealing with all those feelings. Then there's a lack of nutrition, which can be caused by all different types of things. If your body doesn't get the nutrients it needs to function normally, your body will become lethargic and slow, ultimately leading to exhaustion. Find whatever you think is best when coping these issues, and if you believe there's something else causing your sleeping issues (medication side-effects, physical disorder), talk to your doctor for more information.
EmmaBoston
It could mean a variety of things, and not all of them are bad. It might be wise to still talk to your doctor in case there's a medical cause. You say you're sleeping too much- are you all of a sudden sleeping more? And are you feeling rested when you get up? Sleep is our body's way of repairing itself and resting. Its incredibly important, and honestly we probably don't get enough on most days to begin with! If you're encountering more stress or anxiety or depression your body may just need and want more sleep. If that's the case, working to care for yourself may make your sleep patterns return to what's more normal for you.
Anonymous
October 2nd, 2020 6:28am
Honestly I also sleep too much when I finally feel relaxed or on the weekends and it has always been a problem or something that confuses me a lot for a few years now. From what I experienced, it really depends on whether you are naturally sleeping at the right time and waking up at the right time or are you overworking yourself and needed that extra sleep. There are some reasons that you may be feeling tired and needs more than enough of sleep. Staying awake at night and using your phones can be causes of sleeping too much because you are using you eyes a lot and tiring your body and brain. Doing too much work or worrying too much can also stress your brain out even through you might not actually feel it. I found out that my energy was draining quickly and sleep was the only way I recovered. I hope my experience would help you understand some possibilities of oversleeping. If your condition becomes extreme or dangerous, please reach out to professionals. Remember there are always people willing to help you^^
Anonymous
It could be depression or if you're trying to avoid something or someone. Sleep is a way to get away from the present moment and can be an addicted escape if not under control. It usually means you prefer being by yourself and not interacting with the outside world or people in general. You can slowly isolate yourself from having to deal with people and instead just "sleep it off" and coming back to it. It can also be an early sign of depression as you're finding more comfort in a different realm and not being entirely present in the current one.
SukiSerenity5294
Sleeping too much could indicate many things. For example, you could be fighting off a virus. It could also mean that you are experiencing some mental distress. Getting enough exercise and eating a healthy diet can improve your energy level. If you are dealing with mental distress, speaking with someone can help you explore some of the mental stressors that are affecting you. If you have a person in your life that you can rely on, you should speak to them. Logging into 7 cups to speak with a listener might help you with the self-reflection needed to find some answers.
Anonymous
Sleep is very important. There are many reasons why one could sleep too much: * lack of proper sleep pattern * health conditions like infective diseases,OSA etc * mental conditions like depression and anxiety * sometimes it could be just because of one is too lazy one could try to see to follow a pattern to sleep. sleep at a regular time and get up at same time everyday for a month. If one could see a change then thats well and good, if not try consulting a doctor. As i said before sleep is an important part of well being.
Anonymous
Although i am not a licensed health care professional, I have been told multiple times that sleeping is a sign of depression. We tend to sleep more to escape real life, as its our comfort place. Maybe you are trying to avoid some thing in your life and that's why you resort to sleeping as a coping mechanism. I feel like journaling helps a lot, as when you put things into words they become a little bit more real and you tend to have a clearer answer as to how you are feeling, and sometimes even why you are feeling that way.
TGTristan
I oftentimes found myself desiring to sleep too much and it's very difficult to overcome. What I found to help is to try to get up every morning at the same time so my body knows when it's time to get up out of bed. Often times this can be difficult for people because they rouble falling asleep at the same time every night or have trouble falling asleep. What worked for me was to stop drinking caffeine and I felt more energized during the day as long as I made an effort to get up in the morning. In terms of what it might mean without knowing any of the details, you most likely view your bed as some kind of stress-free and safe place. This is perfectly fine and how it should be but there isn't much of a desire to leave so it becomes easier to oversleep. If you think this is the case, when you wake up in the morning, try to do stuff that gives you pleasure in the morning before you leave your bed.
Chidinmao
My sleeping habit changed right after college graduation. I only realized how much it has changed when after a month I haven't grumbled about my alarm waking me up as early as 4:30am and skipping my morning study time. I initially felt unproductive but then I felt relaxed as well. I realized my body needed much rest after the marathon study prep for final exams. On the other hand, it also became clear to me that I didn't have any goal set for the rest of the year to keep me active. I quickly made an intentional revision on my set goals for the year, and working towards improved my sense of productivity and kept my sleeping habit in check.
Mahad2804
Well sleeping too much in the best, could mean you're just too tired and exhausted, and in the worst, could mean you're suffering from a mental illness or disorder. There are a lot of other things needed to form a complete equation but if you're just sleeping too much and everything else is normal, then let it be. Sleep helps the growth cycle and a lot of other things, your brain gets some rest, so do your eyes, lungs, heart and mostly every other organ in your body. You can never get too much sleep. As long as all your other day to day errands are running smoothly, its nothing to worry about. If you are feeling like its interfering with those then its time to maybe evaluate yourself. See if you're feeling symptoms of depression, loneliness or any other disorder or illness and discuss that with a mental health professional. That is all I can think of right now. If you feel like you wanna talk feel free to contact me or any other listener, and of course if you can, get in touch with a therapist or psychologist. I hope that you're well and you stay that way. Stay safe and take care!
Anonymous
Sleeping "too much" could mean depression, since you're tired all the time and you just want to lay down. It could also mean you're escaping from some sort of problem in your life, and sleeping is the most efficient way to do that. It can mean you're overworked, tired, you do too much when you're awake and you just want to sleep. You can be feeling anxious about something which makes you want to avoid it as much as you can. It can also mean you just don't feel like you have the energy to live, and just want to not do things all day.
OnlyWhenitRains
I have plenty of experience with sleeping too much! I’m not much of a nap taker, so usually I’ll just sleep very late into the day. The reason I do this is because I feel like I have nothing important to do and also because I don’t feel motivated to do anything either. Often times I will go to sleep early when I’m at an all time low where I feel really down and just want to cry. Sleep makes me feel like I can escape my everyday life duties because of my lack of motivation. It makes me feel safe and secure, which is why I sleep very late in the day! At night I also have nothing to worry about too much, it’s a safe time. When I don’t have school I probably sleep for about 12 hours when I’m really down or feeling really lazy haha.