What does it mean when your dreams feel so real?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

CLMarshal57
"A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep." This quote, even though it's from a fairytale, spouts some truth. When your dream feels so real that you are surprised to find that it wasn't real, it might be showing what you really want.
Anonymous
It means you are doing a great job in trying to achieve your dreams and that you should not stop what you are doing but instead keep moving forward.
hopefulRainbows30
That means that you're very near to them. Whatever you're doing, just keep on and if you can do it even more. Just hold on and stay focused on your plan. :)
Anonymous
dreams feeling real simply means that you are fortunate and your intellect is very effective... you seem a very lucky person
carefreeFish41
In my opinion when your dream feels real, all of my senses are available, Sight, smell, touch, hear, taste
CuddlyOasis98
When the dreams feel real I believe that some incidents that happen in our daily life our dreams get influenced by them so it might be the things that you dreamt about something that happened in real life or something related to it.
HereToHelpYou742
I think if yours dreams feel real that your subconscious is telling your conscious something that you need to think about or notice.
Anonymous
when l wake up from an intense dream l feel like l lived it, it’s so real. l an actually exhausted when l wake up, like I️ just lived another life. What does this mean?
pleasinglyPoetic
These experiences are often referred to as "lucid" dreams, in which the dreamer experiences a dream that is so vivid so as to be (nearly) indistinguishable from reality. However, the dreamer often knows that he or she is dreaming, which detracts from its realness. As for what it means, the answer is probably simple: nothing! Lucid dreams are a normal form of dreaming, and some people experience them more than others. There may be certain behaviors that can make you more or less prone to lucid dreaming, but there's no harm or risk in lucid dreaming. However, like any dream, certain people are prone to sleepwalking, which can potentially be dangerous. To conclude, there's no objective "meaning" to lucid dreams; you're completely free to make of them what you will!
Arabella1125
Dreams feel real because of the neurochemistry of the brain. It is because dreams are based on input from our senses and processed by our brain, also during sleep our primary senses except vision, are functioning.
Andrei2090
Only actions can build the bridge between dream and reality. They are different realms. When the two become one ( let us exclude mental dysfunctions and illnesses haha) it simply means you did the right thing to achieve your own little close to perfect scenario in life.
Anonymous
I'm not sure that it means too much, but real dreams can be a good way to highlight the emotions that you are dealing with at the moment. By analysing dreams we can try to see what we need to address in our lives.
Anonymous
Firstly, my understanding for the "purpose" of a dream is to resolve unfinished thoughts left over from the day before. They occur every night, but we only remember certain ones for their strange nature, desirable experience, or fearful story lines. Also, dreams can use symbolism to represent hidden meanings that are specifically relevant to the dreamer. So to conclude, I believe the reason our dreams feel real sometimes is because of what has happened to you, and your powerful reaction to this.
Mbali313
It means it felt so lucid, it seemed like you were awake and actually able to feel and think. Maybe even intentionally carry out the dream even.
Bazerous
I think it means that you've been subconsciously reminded of something meaningful or important to your life. It feels real because it spoke to you in a way that's very true to your life. I think it's partially a representation of your mind trying to work through something - sometimes I think it can show how something is influencing you right in front of you without you even knowing it.
thekidhelper
I personally feel if a dream feels so real you could almost reach out and grab the closest object (depending on what it is.) It could really happen. All depending on how realistic your dream is.
Zac001
For me I try to look at what my dream might represent. What I might be trying to tell myself unconsciously.
MissMeghan
When your dreams feel real, Your probably experiencing Lucid dreaming, a state of dreaming where everything seems... Very real
Anonymous
Real dreams for me mean things I am often struggling with in my real life, but that I run away from.
Lutherwalker9
It means that you have been experiencing a phase of dreaming called the Rapid Eye Movement(R.E.M.) Sleep.
LiveLaughLearnLoveSoSelfishly
January 2nd, 2016 12:12pm
When you can't different between reality and the dream world, though sometimes theres not alot of difference between the two!
casicanhelp
It means that you're in a very deep sleep and your brain is in the REM state, where your dreams seem real. Whilst asleep, your brain is transferring memories into a "hard drive".
softRecipe37fart
I'm at my best when my dreams feel super-real. It's like I'm always awake but never tired, I'm always being hit with inspiration for tons of things when my dreams feel real because they help keep things clear and in perspective by reminding me of what's real and what's not. It's different when I have bad super-real dreams though.
OpenedEyes
Over the years in my experience, dreams that feal real are the ones that either trouble you the most or that you want so desperately to happen. It may not be exactly perfect so give or take some desire and thought when realizing that your imagination has also participated in such ways.
FriendlyBibliophile
When my dreams feel so real, it seems like I am living in an entirely different world- a world with new possibilities, ideas, opportunities and relationships. A world where I can be whoever I want to be.
illbreakfree
I am not dream expert however I do know that dreams is our thoughts still processing while we are asleep. There are different types of dreams. I believe that dreams are linked to our daily lives and feelings and emotions. Depending on our lives, our dreams change. When we are stressed sometimes our dreams are just as stressful or confusing. Sometimes we dream our biggest fears or what we desire most. I think dreams expose our truest and deepest feelings.
Lost0ne
When your dreams feel real it usually means that you are in a deep sleep so your body is fully relaxed. It can also be a result of your subconscious truly believing, fearing or wanting something to happen so it occurs in your dreams and seems very real.
Anonymous
it means as if you are almost experiencing it. but don't worry, you know it's a dream already, don't think your dreams are so special.
EnlightenedLux
dreams can be interpreted to having real life meaning, but how realistic they feel typically does not mean anything specific or unique.
Malte
I think if a dream feels real it is the closest you can get to the things your mind is dealing with at the moment.