What does it mean when your dreams feel so real?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
Dreams can be an extension of what your mind is already thinking, feeling, worrying about, etc. They are essentially an extension of the life you are already living, even though they do not happen in reality.
Varee
April 22nd, 2016 11:53am
There are many different intrepretations of dreams and dreaming in the world. I come from the perspective that dreams are one part of us trying to give another part of us a message about how we're feeling or how we're living. So from my point of view, dreams relate to situations we're actually living through, that touch on deep emotions we feel (sometimes that we bury deep down). Last night I had a series of nightmares that touched on three things I'm feeling very deeply at the moment and they felt so real, that I felt sad for a good hour after waking-up, and came on here to talk them through with a Listener. I've bought some books about dreams and their meanings, written by a psychologist. They help me make a connection to a situation I'm not happy about.
Anonymous
You might be talking about lucid dreaming.
Anonymous
You may be experiencing something called "lucid dreaming" it is when you are dreaming and realise that you are in a dream or you may be just getting really vivid images during your dream
NaturalScience
Dreams are a poorly understood part of the human experience. There are many hypotheses regarding what dreams are, and why some people experience "lucid" (or very real feeling) dreams. Some drugs, such as alcohol and marijuana, can suppress our ability to remember and experience dreams. If you are using drugs regularly and stop suddenly, you can experience increased dream activity (or at least it feels that way). Another possibility is a change in lifestyle, location, health, diet, or other factors that affect our sleep patterns. As long as you wake up feeling refreshed (after a full night's sleep), there is probably nothing to do worry about. Try and enjoy the experience.
befree87
everyone has dreams some people believe they may mean something or you have just been thinking about something before you go to bed
XsetarehX
thats called vivid dreaming when your dreams feel so real that even when you wake up, you cant tell if the dream is over or you think that it really happened.
Lovetheskinyourin
Dream experience feel real because they're based on input from our senses and processed by our brain, during sleep our primary senses except vision, are functioning. We begin our sleeping life believing that dreams are real because we are born dreaming.
Benji2020
January 23rd, 2019 2:36am
I have always had a very special relationship with dreams. I, like others before me, have lived my dream life in a world that is always the same. The characters, the locales, even the sounds and smells are all recurring. I am like many of you out there. I am a Dreamer. Capital D. For me, Sir Benji, Lord of Slumberland, is just as important a character as the me of the waking world. Because of these things, I feel like I can be honest with you. My life has been a rocky road. I have had good times and been very happy. I have also been through horrors and crushing sadness. As many of you dreamers can attest, it is in these darker times that the dream world takes on greatest import. I feel that our minds know when we need an escape. When we are crying out for succor, our personal sandman comes to sweep us away to sweet bliss. Now I know that not everyone has pleasant dreams. I am no exception. There have been times when the walls of Slumberland Castle crumble and monsters appear at every turn. At these moments I see it as an opportunity to be the brave leader that the Slumbering Legion deserves. I like to hope, for myself as well as for all of you, that our dreams not only comfort us in turmoil, but also help us to work through our hardest situations. When our dreams feel very real, I think it is our inner selves reminding us to take care and to be strong. Finally, to you other dreamers out there I would like to say that you are not alone. When the nightmares lay siege to your castles, call on the Slumbering Legion. I'll send them straight away!
Soldrew2015
It could mean that it's a suppressed memory from the post. A dream that closely resembled a true event. Perhaps, something that you might have seen or heard unconsciously as well.
beautifulOcean
Some people have different opinions on this, but I just think it means that you are very deep in sleep. I don't really think it has anything to do with it being more real or fake, but that's just my opinion!
Kart12
Most of the time what we dream is totally imaginative and nothing happens in real, one should not focus on what has happened in dream
HelpWisely
Absolutely nothing at all. Dreams are just dreams, when you open your eyes it is not a part of your reality. Always value the reality that you can actually know and experience in your awaken and conscious state. Nothing else is ever real.
BlackcatDM3
Sometimes your dreams could mean something that is happening in real life, E.G if you are falling maybe you fell out of bed.
Anonymous
It means that you have a strong memory! That you are actually able to recall every single detail, no matter how short the dream was.
HopieRemi
The dream could have been a memory. Sometimes also the dreams feel so real because your subconscious can be a powerful thing. I wouldn't think so deep into it though. Your dreams cannot hurt you.
Anonymous
I think that everyone have this sometimes, you can feel very happy or sad after you wake up. The best thing is just to forget it and not to bother you.
Here4u2smile
My dreams always feel so real that I wake up crying or feeling insecure but dreams are dreams. Not reality.
Anonymous
Often, dreams are just representative of our subconscious sorting things out while we sleep. -- Alternatively, sometimes dreams represent actual memories such as those of traumatic events, in which case they may feel like reliving the experience. -- However, it is important to note that our perception of reality and 'what is real' is largely a collection of senses, feelings and signals that our brain relays to us through our nervous system and other body systems. Some dreams can feel real because our brain is doing a great job of relaying these sensations to us even as we are asleep, and to the subconscious mind there is no difference. This sometimes explains why people feel true terror in their dreams, or the true feeling of falling, or feel as though they have had out-of-body experiences while sleeping, or have reflexes in their sleep like kicking. It is all a series of signals from our creative and functional brains. (This realization causes some people to wonder how we even distinguish what reality is at all. It's a valid question that philosophers have asked for centuries!) -- It does not necessarily need to mean anything, but what do you think it means? You are the expert on you, so it's possible that whatever you think it means has real valid influence on you and that's important, regardless of what others may say! Have you considered keeping a dream diary?
Anonymous
It means that you can see it actually happen to you through you're mind just like something you would do in real life.
ElaineSaysHello
You are most likely experiencing vivid dreams, or if you're seeing a similar occurrence when you're awake, you could also be experiencing deja vu.
Anonymous
In my experience, dreams that are very real are closely linked to either strong emotions or recent events. When your dreams become more realistic, they’re probably drawing more from reality. Seeing as dreaming is your brain’s way of processing things, it makes sense that a very important emotion or event will take precedent. I’ve had this be expressed in very loose ways where the dream feels completely detached from reality, but incredibly real. Or in dreams that directly parallel events or feelings. Either way, a very realistic dream is one you should probably think through and see if there’s something to learn or something to understand.
FawnFox
Many of us experience very vivid dreams. A few factors can determine why they are vivid: medications, alcohol consumption, level of depth of sleep, etc. Dreams are an accumulation of what happened during the day or recent events, thoughts, worries. They can at times leave you feeling like it really happened. And that's completely normal!
Manifestation
“The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question: "Is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we kill those people.” ― Bill Hicks
Anonymous
That your dream state is very active. Maybe do some google searching and read up on lucid dreams and false awakenings.
MalignantLove
Not quite sure if I'm interpreting this question in the correct context but... It means you've actually fought through it all to be at the top of your very own world. You've achieved all the goals you've set out to accomplish, overcome all of the obstacles in your path, and you've finally made it to the land where you dreamed the journey it would take you.
vad
reams are successions of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations that occur usually involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.[1] The content and purpose of dreams are not definitively understood, though they have been a topic of scientific speculation, as well as a subject of philosophical and religious interest, throughout recorded history. The scientific study of dreams is called oneirology
HeartbreakloverK
Dreams are a part of your unconscious mind, their thoughts that have been oppressed to the back of you mind, some are experiences that you've had to go through, and some just don't make sense, everyone dreams, men and women dream differently. If your controlling your dreams then its a thing called Lucid dreaming, this is where you have the ability to control what goes on not only in your conscious mind but your sub conscious mind too, Its completely normal and the people who can do it and feel everything its quite an amazing experience.
LittleBecky
I relate to this, when your dreams feel real it's likely to be a lucid dream. Where you can control the aspects of your dream and alter them.
LollyPolly
When your dreams feel so real? Well, I guess that depends on the dream. If it's bad and scary and nerve-wracking, then of course, you'd hope for the dream to end; for it to stop being a reality. But when you dream of nice thoughts, like escaping from a mundane cycle of life or even dreaming of doing something nice that other people may not consider to be worthwhile or special (but it is to you), that's when the dreams feel real and you feel happy; elated. One of my dreams (or should I say aspiration? - either way, it was something that I wished for) was to get into Uni and study what I want - not what other people wanted me to study, or do a degree which will give you guaranteed financial support in the future, but something which I have a passion for. I worked hard and that dream/aspiration became a reality. Sometimes it feels surreal to get a good education and I'm thankful for it everyday. Sometimes I think, "Ok, I got what I wished for, but what do I do now?". How do you progress from there? It's easy - find opportunities. Dream some more. Look for something that interests you and grab hold of it. If you don't seem interested in it, don't worry, just keep on looking. You're next goal is to fulfill another dream: to make another wish come true. Unfortunately, when you do want a dream to come true, it's not going to happen just like that. That's only in Disney movies. You have to work hard, be resilient. You may have heard the saying: "Hard work always pays off" - well, when you're working for something you really care for and want to make a difference, that's when work can become enjoyable. There may be ups and downs, but in the end, it's worth it. Don't let your dreams be dreams (if it's scary and you don't like though, just keep it in your head. Or talk to a listener - we're here to help). ;) ;)