What should I do when I have a lot of nightmares?

Kimberly Claudat, PhD

I'm a cognitive-behavioral therapist, here to support you in learning skills to cope with depression, anxiety, and painful emotions through a collaborative approach.

Ben1987
I personally always try to think something good before i go to sleep. Something i´m grateful for or proud of. I think it´s good if your thought are "positive" when you go to sleep. When i´m not able to sleep or when i´m struggling to stop "thinking" about the world, problems and so on, i´m telling me stories in my head. Stories about being a hero, having superpowers or being a magician. I know this sound weird, but i have had some of the best dreams ever when i tell myself such stories ;)
Anonymous
Nightmares comes because of worries of ours life,fears,emotions,the best way is try to visit psychologist
anonamoosefriend
When I have a lot of nightmares, I try to remind myself before I go to bed that I will be dreaming soon. That way when I am asleep in the dream I am more likely to recognize that I am dreaming and can wake myself up or at least remove myself from how real it feels. To address the issue outside of the bad dreams themselves and get to the root of it, I try to focus attention on the anxieties in my life that are causing the nightmares to begin with. Talking to friends or a licensed therapist helps set up an action plan to have a more rested mind and thus more rested sleep.
Anonymous
Not be scared of sleep. Look up lucid dreaming so that you can hopefully take a hold in your dreams !
Anonymous
I would recommend to visit a medic, having lots of nightmares may be a signal of a sleeping disorder, and it could change to another more serious problems. Also, it can make you feel scared, which can bring other disorders, like insomnia
wonderfulPurple52
just talk about the nightmare, It is good to talk , it release the tension and fear. You just need support when you woke up from nightmare. Don't be scared just understand it is just dream and there will be someone who will be there to support you when you get nightmare. Take care and try to find out the reason for the nightmare.
metalrob
You should loo up to a professional, so he can help you cause sometimes, relaxation doesn't work and we need a little bit of pro-help :).
terminallychill
December 22nd, 2014 4:02pm
Based on personal experience, I did a couple of things that lessened the nightmares and eventually helped me stop having them. First, I would write down or type what my nightmare was about (especially if it's a recurring nightmare) and look up the symbols from it. Sometimes when you piece all the symbols together, it could have some sort of meaning in your awakening life and make sense as to why you are having that nightmare. Once you realize what the nightmare means, you could address the problem in your personal life, which will then make the nightmares go away. Second, although this may sound a little superstitious, I looked at how my bed is positioned in my room. When I had sleepless nights and a lot of nightmares, I noticed that my bed was directly facing the door. There's a superstitious reason why they say you shouldn't face your bed to your door. Ever since I changed the position of my bed, I had less trouble sleeping. Third, if you want that little extra security like I wanted, hang a dream catcher on your window. I have a few hanging on my door, my window, and near my bed. And fourth, evaluate your sleeping position. Is your pillow too high? Do you breathe well in your sleeping position? Do you think you need to change your sleeping position? This could be a contributing factor to having nightmares. Ever since I did all of these things, my nightmares have lessened to the point where I barely have them. I hope this helped you in any way!
Arkelight
It depends on a lot of things. If you're having nightmares over a long period of time, then this could be a sleep disorder.
CalmingLily
Journalling before you go to bed might help get all your worries onto paper that you can leave behind before you sleep. Also yoga, meditation and thinking positive thoughts about yourself and the world before bed. If none of that helps, maybe try writing everything you can remember about your nightmares over a few nights and see if there's a common pattern; it might highlight an aspect of your life that is bothering you without you realising such as a relationship or school/ work worries.
EnchantedPepper
Try and relax before bed. If you have a heavy workload, try to give yourself an hour before going to bed to clear your mind. Try doing something you enjoy, it may be listening to music or having a bubble bath, the more relaxed you are before bed, you'll probably have a better nights sleep and less nightmares.
optimisticPond54
Studies show that drinking a cup of hot milk before bed, calms you down. Also, when you are lying in bed, think positively, for example about good memories.
OpenHear
Try meditation. Sometimes we just need to disconnect from our emotions and watch them pass away. Then you might avoid staying up late in front of the computer.
William0
Nightmares can be difficult to persevere through. Calling someone willing to listen to you for a little bit is always helpful. Knowing you are not alone or have zero help is a great way to make it past the night. Sometimes some nice memories or activities before sleeping is a great way to make sure you have no bad dreams.
Anonymous
I will talk to someone about it. Give them details about the dream, how long has it been occurring in order to feel better because then i know that i'm not going through it alone. If it gets to the point that it requires medical attention, I will not hesistate to get help.
NoNegativeVibes
Try doing this thing called "A dream journal" it actually helps when you have alot of nightmares so you can actually record what you've been dreaming about