What to do to get better sleep?

Danielle Gonzales, PsyD

Hello! My name is Dani, I am a Psychologist and registered Psych Assistant. I have a passion for helping a different types of clients from all diverse backgrounds!

effectator
I struggle with insomnia, and I've found the best 2 ways is to either find a very quiet song/playlist that stays about the same volume throughout (songs you like of course) and let the natural progression of your thoughts on the song drift you to sleep. The 4/7/8 breathing technique also helps. Breathing in through your nose for 4 seconds, holding it in for 7 seconds, then breathe out through your mouth for 8 seconds. And if seconds are a little long, try to time the counts to your heartbeat. Both of these ways have helped me get to sleep a little earlier.
admirableParadise40
Stay away from stimulants. Avoid caffeinated beverages (coffee, many teas, chocolate, and some soft drinks) after 1 or 2 p.m. — or altogether, if you’re especially caffeine-sensitive. Caffeine blocks the effects of adenosine, a brain chemical thought to promote sleep. Limit alcohol to no more than one drink a day, preferably taken at least two hours before bedtime. Alcohol interferes with deep sleep and can interfere with breathing. Stop smoking, and avoid secondhand smoke. Nicotine makes it harder to fall asleep and harder to stay asleep. Don’t nap if you can avoid it. If you can’t stay awake in the afternoon, take a 15- to 20-minute nap — that’s usually long enough to improve alertness but not so long that you feel groggy afterward. Don’t nap at all in the evening before you go to bed. (And no falling asleep in front of the television!) Exercise. Getting regular aerobic exercise such as walking, jogging, or swimming can help you fall asleep faster, get more deep sleep, and awaken less often during the night. But avoid exercise within a few hours of bedtime. Eat sensibly. Finish dinner several hours before bedtime. If you need a snack in the evening, eat a small serving of something you know won’t disturb your digestion, such as applesauce, yogurt, cereal and milk, or toast and jam. Dont watch the clock and count the hours. Establish a relaxing routine before bedtime. Consider meditation, a warm shower, listening to quiet music, or some simple stretches to loosen muscles. Avoid activities that might cause stress, such as work or emotional discussions. Limit fluids before bedtime. To minimize nighttime trips to the bathroom, don’t drink anything during the two or three hours before bedtime.
Anonymous
I put on my favorite tv show, Friends, and just have it in the background till I fall asleep because it keeps my brain focused on it so I don't have any anxiety thoughts.
HeleneNoel
Warm milk has been proven very effective for falling asleep. Other methods, like completely removing all electronic devices from you room and minimizing the usage of electronics during the day have also been proven to greatly reduce the sleeping lag by at least 30 minutes. This is mostly because of the reduction of neurological imbalancing cause by the blueish hue emitted from all electronic devices, which can be toned down by software and apps like flu.x.
LuminousMeadow
Set a bedtime routine for yourself that you stick to each night - brushing your teeth, changing into pajamas, setting your alarm - it helps get your brain into the mindset that now is the time we rest.
audreey
You could download apps in the Apple App Store called "Sleep Hypnosis" or look up a Youtube video to fall asleep too. The voices are always positive and will help you fall asleep with nice thoughts inside your mind.
WarmShadows
November 21st, 2015 3:20am
Stop eating two or more hours before bedtime. Stop or limit device usage 1 hour before bed. Get exercise during the day. Develop a relaxing ritual to follow 30-60 minutes before bedtime. Follow all other general health principles-each aspect of your health will affect every other aspect of your health.
Sventek
Exercise is a good way to a good night's sleep, typically during the day. Drinking warm milk or even non-caffeinated tea would also work well. The key is to ensure that you're limiting your caffeine intake and doing activities that help you exhaust your energy so that when you go to bed you're ready to sleep through the night.
lillitiger
Turn off screens, specifically blue light emitters,two hours before bed. Sleep in a pitch black room if you can, the less light the better. Drinking something warm (not sugar or caffeine) and eating some carbs within an hour helps. If you really need it take a Melatonin.
Aryore
Try googling "sleep hygiene". Sleep hygiene is all about having healthy sleeping habits, such as no screens two hours before bed, sleeping and waking up at the same times every day, turning off or covering all the lights in the room (even the tiny red switch ones) etc.
Anonymous
To get a better sleep, just half an hour before bedtime meditation on a soothing therapeutic music and also lighting a lavender scented candle to create a peaceful ambience for meditation. Meditation and also the calming scent of lavender did helped me to get a peaceful and better sleep because it relaxes and calms the mind. Besides that, having a cosy environment in the bedroom such as having a dim light and a comfortable bed also helps to get a better sleep. Lastly, thinking positively before bedtime is the important thing because a happy and relaxed mind helps very much to get a better sleep.
Anonymous
Naturally regulate your sleep-wake cycle. Make your room dark and star dreaming you'll fall asleep :)
Peacefulmeditation
Typically to get better sleep you first have to know yourself. Know your emotions and identify them to help you gain control over them. Next control your environment and make sure to make conducive to sleep.
ScreenNamesAreHardToChoose
Melatonin is an excellent natural hormone in pill form that you can buy from any supermarket/drugstore. Melatonin is the hormone your body produces in your sleep, so when you take a pill, it makes your body think that it's bed time. But because this isn't a "knockout drug" or an actual "sleeping pill", you need to be in bed, eyes closed, lights off, or however it is when you usually sleep. Otherwise it won't work if you're up and about. Melatonin takes ~30mins to kick in.
Anonymous
A warm bath with lavender oil or Shea bath bombs to help the body and I'd to relax. Lavender oil on your pillow case. There are also herbal teas that can aid in sleep like chamomile and sleepy time teas. There are also herbal supplements like valerian root, melatonin, and l-theanin.
Anonymous
First, don't drink or eat any caffine before bed. Next don't use and electronics beofore bed. Last, make sure you have the right bed for you.
CoffeeTeaAndHonesty
August 22nd, 2015 6:54pm
To get better sleep, I turn off all lights, make sure my bedroom is at a comfortable temperature, and stay away from my phone or computer. Studies show that people who use their phone before bed have a harder time falling asleep and their quality of sleep isn't as good compared to those who don't use phones before sleeping.
Losergoddess
August 23rd, 2015 1:31am
Do breathing exercising as you lay down. Breathe in while counting to six in real time, hold your breath for six seconds, then breathe out for six seconds. Take two to three normal breaths and repeat.
Aube777
I try to go to sleep at the same time every day and to quit all screens (ipad, computer, cellphone, etc) at least 30 minutes before going to sleep
ColorfulFern
To get better sleep you can wind down with meditation, prayer, drink some hot tea or milk, yoga, or something of the like(there are many ways to get wind down and get better sleep).
SimbaSonofMufasa
Find a routine that begins and ends your day in relatively the same manner. We are all creatures of habit and our bodies generally want to be in a routine. One half-glass of water before sleep helps me cool off and relax. Turn the phone off or download an app called 'Twilight' to reduce the blue LED in the screen and help your mind relax for sleep. These are my best tactics, hope they work for you too!
Anonymous
Some tips to get better sleep: 1) Avoid exercise a half hour before you go to bed 2)Don't drink caffeine after 12 pm (no matter what time you plan to go to sleep) 3)Don't bring anything to your bed. e.g. computer, homework etc. This way, when your body sees your bed, it will automatically think 'sleep'
KiForEverybody
in my personal experience, reading a book, taking a walk, talk with friends, taking a warm bath, hug and kiss, massage and positive thinking
BreatheItWillBeOkay
Well first I establish the reason why I am not sleeping. 99% of the time it is because I have a lot going in my mind. I treat myself like many parents would treat their toddler child. I have my dinner. I have a bath. I limit myself to activities that won't excite me. I take part in things I enjoy which relax me as well as tired me out. Reading, making lists of things I need to do, writing or watching a documentary.
lovemuffin890
Well, as I have experienced, expending time in the phone before sleeping makes your brain excited, so when you go to sleep, there's a problem. Also eating sugar, soda or an energizing drink after 7 PM can cause sleeping problems. I hope my answer can help.
Anonymous
Feeling crabby lately? Or simply worn out? Perhaps the solution is better sleep. Think about all the factors that can interfere with a good night's sleep — from pressure at work and family responsibilities to unexpected challenges, such as layoffs, relationship issues or illnesses. It's no wonder that quality sleep is sometimes elusive. Although you might not be able to control all of the factors that interfere with your sleep, you can adopt habits that encourage better sleep. Start with these simple sleep tips. 1. Stick to a sleep schedule Go to bed and get up at the same time every day, even on weekends, holidays and days off. Being consistent reinforces your body's sleep-wake cycle and helps promote better sleep at night. There's a caveat, though. If you don't fall asleep within about 15 minutes, get up and do something relaxing. Go back to bed when you're tired. If you agonize over falling asleep, you might find it even tougher to nod off. 2. Pay attention to what you eat and drink Don't go to bed either hungry or stuffed. Your discomfort might keep you up. Also limit how much you drink before bed, to prevent disruptive middle-of-the-night trips to the toilet. Nicotine, caffeine and alcohol deserve caution, too. The stimulating effects of nicotine and caffeine take hours to wear off and can wreak havoc on quality sleep. And even though alcohol might make you feel sleepy at first, it can disrupt sleep later in the night. 3. Create a bedtime ritual Do the same things each night to tell your body it's time to wind down. This might include taking a warm bath or shower, reading a book, or listening to soothing music — preferably with the lights dimmed. Relaxing activities can promote better sleep by easing the transition between wakefulness and drowsiness. Be wary of using the TV or other electronic devices as part of your bedtime ritual. Some research suggests that screen time or other media use before bedtime interferes with sleep. 4. Get comfortable Create a room that's ideal for sleeping. Often, this means cool, dark and quiet. Consider using room-darkening shades, earplugs, a fan or other devices to create an environment that suits your needs. Your mattress and pillow can contribute to better sleep, too. Since the features of good bedding are subjective, choose what feels most comfortable to you. If you share your bed, make sure there's enough room for two. If you have children or pets, try to set limits on how often they sleep with you — or insist on separate sleeping quarters. 5. Limit daytime naps Long daytime naps can interfere with nighttime sleep — especially if you're struggling with insomnia or poor sleep quality at night. If you choose to nap during the day, limit yourself to about 10 to 30 minutes and make it during the midafternoon. If you work nights, you'll need to make an exception to the rules about daytime sleeping. In this case, keep your window coverings closed so that sunlight — which adjusts your internal clock — doesn't interrupt your daytime sleep. 6. Include physical activity in your daily routine Regular physical activity can promote better sleep, helping you to fall asleep faster and to enjoy deeper sleep. Timing is important, though. If you exercise too close to bedtime, you might be too energized to fall asleep. If this seems to be an issue for you, exercise earlier in the day. 7. Manage stress When you have too much to do — and too much to think about — your sleep is likely to suffer. To help restore peace, consider healthy ways to manage stress. Start with the basics, such as getting organized, setting priorities and delegating tasks. Give yourself permission to take a break when you need one. Share a good laugh with an old friend. Before bed, jot down what's on your mind and then set it aside for tomorrow. Know when to contact your doctor Nearly everyone has an occasional sleepless night — but if you often have trouble sleeping, contact your doctor. Identifying and treating any underlying causes can help you get the better sleep you deserve.
heartfulleigh60
Be intentional! When the sun goes down, it is an invitation to begin unwinding. Depending on the person, this process looks different; it made all the difference for me when I began to realize unwinding IS a process and to treat it kindly .Candles, comfy clothes, caffeine-free tea, books, showers, no technology. Anything and everything to help release what occurred throughout the day and whatever will allow you to rest your head comfortably. Sweetest of dreams are headed your way with the proper mindset and intention.
Anonymous
There are many things which a person could do to get to sleep but there are only few things which could help him to get a better one, i have tried sleeping on a floor and it is recommended by many physician as it helps breathing thus leading to better sleep and you feel more refreshed after waking up and your spine get better health.
Flowerthingy
drink some tea about half an hour before i go to sleep, read/ draw before sleeping, listening to soft music, or make my room cooler
WesternCanada1
calm your mind, do not eat heavily at night, try to avoid thinking about problems before going to bed, read a book and, if all that that fails, try 5mg of melatonine , if it is allowed where you live( In the USA and Canada you find it at any drugstore). It's natural. No worries.