What to do to get better sleep?

Danielle Gonzales, PsyD

Hello! My name is Dani, I am a Psychologist and registered Psych Assistant. I have a passion for helping a different types of clients from all diverse backgrounds!

hoppingpen
Sleeping well can be difficult. If you have trouble sleeping, try getting on youtube and finding a guided full body relaxation video. They were very useful to me, and really helped me get a quicker, more restful sleep. Also, reserve your bed for sleeping and sexual relations. Never read or get online while in bed. That makes the mind subconsciously reserve the bed for those times, and get you in the right mindset for restful sleep.
Jess1898
I like to play out scenarios in my head or sometimes if I am really struggling to get to sleep, I do simple breathing exercises to relax my body.
scathachthewarrior
Hello! There is this usual stuff like opening window or wearing comfortable clothes. Do something relaxing before you lay to bad - e.g. read for a while, feed your fishes, solve a sudoku. Don't drink coffee (tea either). These relaxing activities will help you to ease your mind of stress, so you won't think about it too much before falling asleep. Don't go to bed when you feel negative emotions, always try to release a little. Be sure that your room has the right temperature and fresh air. Try to lear to set your alarm earlier, not when you're in bed allready. It will ease you of the "i will sleep only for seven hours" feeling. But don't try to hard. Sleep is a peacefull process, you should not force yourself :)
shoshho
read a good book or even a scientific one or have a cup of warm milk with no sugar at all or watch a small tv show
Anonymous
Focus on one thing, like a book you read or a movie you watched. These things are now problematic and should help you drift off.
Supergirl94
This I feel entirely depends on the individual. You could take a relaxing bath/shower, you could drink some hot tea/cocoa or some like hot milk before bed. Read a little bit or do something small to distract your mind before bed and lay down (Something to get your mind off of the days events and anything you are thinking about for the future). Listen to music, do guided meditations. :) Whatever is relaxing for you! Also setting a time when to go to sleep and when to get up usually helps your body, having a wacky sleep schedule tends to stress your body out and make it more exhausted.
Anonymous
I personally like to use an app called nature sounds. I set the timer so it doesn't go on all night and I try to concentrate on the sound - it helps to distract your mind from over thinking about different things which prevents you from sleeping. I usually find that I fall asleep before the sound finishes. I like listening to the thunderstorms sound. Also, avoid using your laptop/phone/TV etc an hour before you go to bed. Maybe try to read and you will fall asleep easier
Anonymous
Make sure your room is well venitalted. Make sure your room is relaxing, not to much clutter and no electronics. Make sure you relax before going to bed. Make sure you have a good pillow and matress. People underestimate the importance of those.
Anonymous
To get better sleep I try to have a better pre-bed routine: get some exercise that day, take the dog for a walk, meditate and have a cup of tea.
Anonymous
Turn your phone off for 30 minutes before you go to sleep. Try listening to some asmr. A new study suggests keeping your feet out in the open away from the blankets :)
sumansam
You might wanna stop using any kind of electronic devices at least before an hour of sleeping. Also, try keeping the room a bit on the colder side.
Em
You can exercise (regularly!), try to keep a regular sleep schedule so not to throw your body off too much, create a relaxing, cool environment in your bedroom right before you go to sleep, leave your bed just for sleeping (and hanky panky!), don't eat meals that are too heavy at night as they'd keep you awake for digestion, try maybe cutting down on caffeine and smoking, and try to make relaxation your overall goal, rather than sleep. Deep, smooth breaths, and don't think about sleeping — think about relaxing your head, mind, brain — if you fall asleep, excellent — if you don't, you've rested your mind and body! :)
Emily619
In order to get a better sleep every night, try listening to calming music (instrumentals) as you fall asleep, or try counting.
Anonymous
Develop a bedtime routine. I attempt to go to bed at the same time every night, but I know that is unrealistic for some people. Do something that is relaxing like listening to soothing music and doing a crossword or even reading a book. Avoid using technology or checking the news or blogs/social media. These things will just make your mind wander even more and keep you from relaxing.
Anonymous
Sleep is very important for a good health and the general well-being of a person. Getting enough and quality sleep could have an enormous impact on one’s life and activities. Having better sleeping habits is essential. Some methods to have a better sleep are: *Set a regular bedtime * Exercise daily *Avoid napping during the day in order to have a better night sleep *Sleep in dark and cool rooms * Do not drink alcohol at least 3 hours before you go to bed. *Avoid negative thoughts before sleeping * Do not eat at least 2 hours before going to bed. * Avoid heavy meals for dinner *Relax or meditate before sleeping *Create a bedtime ritual * Do not use television, smart phones, tablets, laptops and computers before going to sleep. * Drink a cup of tea (camomile) before sleeping * Set a daily wake up time. Wish you a better sleep :)
pureatheart25
you could try meditation, good diet can make sleep better, and try relaxing cd. You can try to make routine and go to bed at same night , you have to retrain your body to get better at doing things. Try drinking some camomille tea.
xDzazterQueenXoX
There are so many things you can do to get a better sleep. It's possible that you just need to calm your mind - journal your thoughts before you go to bed, or focus on reading a good book, ensure you have the right pillow and a comfortable mattress. Practice deep breathing from your abdomen. Listen to music you find comforting while drifting off to sleep. Follow the same routine for bed each night - such as brush teeth, read for a half hour, then snuggle down into the covers for a good nights sleep.
AmazingEars15
Do not drink enegry drinks / coca cola before bedtime, try to relax and try to not eat a few hours before you go to sleep.
soundsculptor
I try to avoid using laptops or tablets/smartphones the last 30 minutes before bed-time. I also enjoy spending the last hour before sleep reading a good book while drinking a cup of homemade chai.
Applemu
Turn off electronics an hour before sleeping, read a book or listen to soft music to calm yourself down. Warm baths and nice smelling oils are also nice. Lavender oil was something my guardian used to put me and my sister asleep when I was younger.
ArielSoles
Turn off electronics including your phone Drink some decaf tea before bed Listen to instrumental music on low volume Wash your sheets and pillow cases Use a fan or turn your air conditioning a few degrees cooler Use pillow mist with lavender or eucalyptus Use body lotion with lavender or eucalyptus Depending on you, close or open windows and curtains Find a four-legged buddy to cuddle
Samantharenee
Be sure that you are not cold or sleeping in a cold room as it can cause nightmares, melatonin is a wonderful natural sleep aid that you can get from any super market.
Anonymous
I could suggest a warm shower or bath before bed, meditation, listening to peaceful music, or if you don't have any medical conditions preventing it - take a bit of melatonin to help you sleep. A pleasantly cool bedroom and comfortable bed definitely help as well!
MolarPole
Melatonin can be used as a temporary fix, it loses its potency over a 12-16 month period though. It's an over-counter drug due to it being found naturally in foods we eat. Alternatively, certain teas are good such as chamomile. Avoiding using computers and phones before your sleep is actually majorly beneficial, if nothing else download flux, a free software that automatically darkens your screen later in the day. Getting plenty of sunlight during the day is also nice. Avoid doing strenuous work right before sleeping as well. Do plenty of exercise.
TristanJamez
Well, for one never eat something have before going to bed. Try to eat something light, like dry cereal with no milk, or a protein bar, or toast with butter. If you are going to eat before bed, eat at least 2 hours before you go to bed. Go for a run, a jog, or a simple walk. Work out, take a shower, sip on some chamomile green tea and relax. Melatonin can help you get more sleep if you feel like some other things don't work.
jessinwonderland
To get better sleep, I have a relaxing cup of caffeine-free tea about an hour before bed time. I turn off all screens, get in to my comfiest pyjamas, and curl up to read. Sometimes I journal, but I avoid stimulating things like caffeine and the white light from the screens of electronics. If I'm finding it particularly difficult to sleep, I use a guided mediation track or sleep sounds to help lull me in to dreamland.
poofinessence
So many things...go to bed at the same time every night. develop a routine, in which you do the same thing every night before bed, to get your mind in the "bedtime" mindset/mode. Don't look at your phone or any other electronic devices in your bed. Don't sleep with the TV on. Make the room as dark as you can. Consider buying a new, more comfortable pillow. Consider an over-the-counter, non-addictive sleeping aid. Melatonin works really well after it builds up in your system after a couple of weeks. Sleepy time teas can work, if you haven't used them a lot before. Yoga nidra recordings/guided relaxation. White noise, rain/water/storm sounds online. Go on a walk or exercise before bed. The possibilities for better sleep are endless!
DarlingSupport
Based on my personal experience, I've found going to bed earlier helps. I relax in bed for a while before I fall asleep. I typically meditate, read, or talk to friends during this time.
Egaeus
Relaxation is the key. To be agitated before you go to sleep, is to be agitated within your sleep. Take some fifteen minutes before you get into bed to calm down, meditate or just stare blankly at a wall. Make your mind at ease. Make your body at ease. Your sleep will improve.
TaylorW
to get a better nights sleep i like to meditate and clear my mind of bad thoughts and worries and focus on the positive