Why can't I sleep at night?

Stacey Kiger, LPC

My belief is that therapy is not about giving advice, but joining you on your journey

Anonymous
November 1st, 2014 3:32pm
In a few studies, they say that you should not go onto technology an hour before you go to sleep. Also having caffeine anytime after the late afternoon can affect your sleep. A good technique is to write down on a piece of paper what you need to do or is worrying you and therefore you would not need to think so much before you sleep.
Anonymous
November 1st, 2014 4:35pm
Maybe you over think at night, it's normal because you do lot of things in the morning and evening and it all comes at night, maybe you can talk with a listener so you leave it all and try to rest :)
zchowdh
One big reason that you might not be sleeping at night is because you are thinking too much. Try to write down all your thoughts before you sleep.
Anonymous
You are worrying too much about something going on in your life. You are stressed about something that you may be suppressing. Try to talk it out with someone.
guyinasuit
Not being able to sleep at night could be linked to depression or anxiety you may have, or may just be because you have got insomnia.
Humera
Try to let go of all the thoughts sitting on your mind. Write everything down on a piece of paper and put it out of mind. Hope that helps my love
kaycspace98
Not sleeping can be caused by a myriad of reasons. It can be something as simple as changing your diet and exercising more. You also might not realize that something deeper is keeping you awake. It's always best to talk to someone to get those feelings out so you can feel calm and relaxed at night.
Anonymous
Insominia is a condition where you have difficulty sleeping at night. The major causes of this condition are excessive streas, regular take of caffine , improper diet. A proper management is the best cure It is always not necessary to sort out things in life. Time is such a powerful weapon to be used to heal your situations. Once you understand this you climb a ladder to reduce your stress. Donot go to skeep on an decided hour. Sleep only wgen your eyes cant bear it.
GracieMc7
At night time can be a time when you're brain over works and becomes more active than you need it to be! You could try calming exercises before bed or even meditation to calm your mind and body before trying to sleep!
Anonymous
There are a lot of possible reasons behind sleeping problems. You might be having trouble sleeping if you're worried or stressed about something. Sleep quality can also be affected by depression. Apart from that, some medications can cause symptoms of insomnia, for example clarinase tends to make me restless at night.
sweetkitten99
April 22nd, 2016 5:52am
you probably have sleeping problems, like insomnia or maybe even sleep apnea. also, there could just be a lot on your mind and it distracts you from getting a good night's sleep. lack of sleep is one of the many symptoms of depression, but i don't know if you're depressed or not, so....
Anonymous
Maybe it could be if you are taking medication (If not ignore this part) it might interrupt your sleep schedule. Try using less electronics at night and make sure your bed is comfy enough for you. If you are still having trouble tell your doctor this.
wonderfulCupcake00
Is this the first time this happened ? Are you thinking something? Are you worried ? Are you alcoholic? Are you on drugs? Did you change your sleeping pattern recntly? Did you exercise 1-2 hours before sleeping? Is your stomach full? Are you hungry? Hormonal imbalance? These are the factors that may affect your sleep :)
YouMeanToMe30
There so many reasons that you might cannot sleep. see if these might be the reason : using computer a lot - any medical reason - still having too much energy
callizo96
Sleep deprivation can be caused by several factors, but stress and anxiety are the most common ones.
erenflowers
There is a very wide spectrum for sleep disorders, and the causes and effects will vary from person to person. Insomnia is commonly caused because of stress, but other things can effect how well you sleep. Certain types of medication, eating schedules, etc., can effect it. When your brain activity is high, it's nearly impossible to sleep, which is why people relax to go to sleep. (Stress, usually.) For example, when you have a nightmare, eventually adrenaline hormones will shoot up that brain activity and you'll wake up. Usually the easiest thing to do to get some rest is find what relaxes you. Also, don't be afraid to shake your schedule up until you find what sort of thing works for you.
clucky
Sleeping is what helps us feel better in many ways. Often stress, anxiety, etc. can make it more difficult to get a good night's rest. It is important to remember that you can get a good night's rest by following some simple steps. For example, having a relaxing bath before going to bed can make it much easier to fall asleep, and don't forget to limit your caffeine intake! Furthermore, doing mindfulness exercises, or even physical exercises can be useful for helping us sleep. Remember that you can discuss your sleeping patterns with your doctor at anytime, and they can refer you to other specialists who can help / prescribe you some medication to make it easier to sleep. You do not have to suffer insomnia alone. Happy sheep counting! :)
MysticalOracle
Sometimes you have to much on your mind to sleep or you may have insomnia if you are having trouble sleeping you should probably try to focus on one thing and try to not eat sugar or caffeine for at least an hour or two before bed
gracefulForever57
overthinking? I know what that's like, don't go on your phone before bed, it tempts you instead read, or do a crossword puzzle something that you will doze off to, I've done it and it really helps
Anonymous
Why you most likely can't fall asleep, is because you worry too much about the past or future. Well, that is my experience.
Nathan2015
At night you tend to over think and your brain is trying to process all these thoughts at one go but unfortunately can't so in turn stops you from sleeping at night .
Emmathefriendlygiant
You could be stressing about something without realizing. Mental wellbeing is just as important as your physical wellbeing.
Anonymous
You should probably talk to a parent and/or doctor about this. It's possible that you have insomnia or maybe you're just depressed. But only you can figure out you.
truepal1900
I personally find it difficult to sleep at night when I have had a uneventful day so to prevent that i always try to do something new or exciting most days
Anonymous
Do not sleep during the day. Try to have a journal and write down all your feelings down before attempting to fall asleep. Turn off all the lights. Maybe investing in a white noise radio if you do not have one. Put down electronic devices
BreezyAdventures
You may be under stress! Try and relax before you go to sleep, but don't go on your phone! Blue light may disrupt sleep!
Anonymous
there might be something on your mind that is really bothering you. or maybe you suffer from sleep anemia and need some medicine. i used to take Meletonin, and that works.
amiableEyes21
I can't diagnose, but I can't because I have insomnia, which is easily treated. Go to a doctor or a counselor. They can tell you what to do. It also might be that you are upset, in which case talk to a counselor.
Anonymous
At night my mind races. I hear music, so I listen to music to make it stop resulting in memories or reminding me of embarrassing moments. Some are good memories. If I'm anxious or have plans I can't sleep because I am planning out every detail in my head. I have nightmares from anxiety sometimes resulting in not being able to go back to sleep as well.
HereToHelpYou742
if you have an anxiety disorder you may ruminate about events that have happened and your mind makes them seem worse and you cant stop thinking which prevents sleep