Why do I have trouble sleeping after drinking?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

sumansam
You seem to experience trouble sleeping after drinking because the calories energizes your body. You might wanna tone that down, especially at night.
WesternCanada1
Among many other reasons, the problem is that the alcohol interferes with the levels of cortisol in your organism. Cortisol is responsible for your body to be ready to wake up, and its levels are higher right before you wake up and is low when you are ready to sleep. Drinking mess this all up.
Emily619
You have trouble sleeping after drinking because the alcohol causes you to be more alert, in a way, and not tired.
sweetSoul15
Alcohol can make You either euphoric or sleepy, some get excited others become hyper , it is the chemicals in the brain releasing some hormones on your blood stream causing you to feel either sleepy or hyper.
Anonymous
It's normal for you to have trouble sleeping after drinking. Why? Because your body cannot get a full night's sleep with alcohol in its system. Your brain never enters deep sleep mode when you're drunk, that's why it feels like when you wake up that you just closed your eyes and you haven't slept a bit.
Anonymous
you cant get sleep if you've been drinking because your body is thiking its awake from being up your body needs water to saty hydrated and sleep needs good body
xDzazterQueenXoX
Alcohol is known to have a lot of sugar in it, which can cause us difficulty sleeping, especially if you are drinking coolers, and other sweeter drinks.
AmazingEars15
Sometimes when I have consumed alcohol, especially in combination with energy drinks / coca cola, I think it is the caffeine in the mix drinks that make one have troubles sleeping.
tranquilDreamer99
Drinking has many impacts on the mind and your mood... It may cause your brain to constantly work. Feel free to message me with more questions/concerns!
lovelyPrincess09
In general, alcohol relaxes our muscles, and that is the case with our throat muscle. When we are sleeping, normally our throat muscle relaxes and alcohol can increase this relaxation causing you to fall asleep before your natural sleep cycle begins. But when your body completely metabolized alcohol, your sleep becomes fragmented and you wake up more often in the middle of the sleep. This could also lead to insomnia, I would suggest getting advice from a doctor if an severe symptoms arise. Also, it is generally not a good idea to mix sleep with alcohol.
Lovelydaytoday
Drinking messes with your body. Some people may react differently to it than others too, try to do it at a different time if it affects your sleep dramatically
JLL118
Drinking can sometimes affect the way that your mind works. For some people it aids sleep and for some it can affect the way you think and therefore cause it to be worse
Anonymous
Alcohol makes it difficult to stay asleep and sleep well, even if, at first, it helps you fall asleep quickly. This is because it can cause things such as snoring, night sweats, nightmares, headaches, and insomnia. It also is known to make you wake up much earlier due to it bringing you much more quickly into the REM stage of sleeping (which is easier to awaken from).
TristanJamez
Drinking alcohol tends to cause more anxiety, and depression traited effects. Alcohol is a depressant. In my own experience, it makes me sad, and it makes me think about things that I know I wouldn't normally think about when i'm sober. Just be careful when you're drinking, if you ever feel like you need to talk to somebody while laying in bed thinking about the worst possible scenario that can happen, just talk to somebody!! Hell, talk to me if you needs too!! :) I'll help you through it :P
poofinessence
I've noticed this in myself sometimes, too, when I will wake up super early or in the middle of the night if I had any type of alcohol before I fell asleep. I am not sure why this happens from a chemical/biologic standpoint, but I'm thinking it probably has to do with your body getting used to having the alcohol in its system, and then having to readjust to normal homeostasis when the alcohol is going through your system.
Rosealyn
From a science point of view, your body may be dehydrating. Drink some extra water between drinks and after!
Egaeus
Alcohol is an interesting substance. It messes with a lot of our senses and sleep is no exception. People who can't sleep drink so they get some rest, people who sleep like babies every night stay up because they're inebriated. The human body is a strange thing and even though we'd like to think we're the one in charge, that's not always the case.
JustAFriendlyCrystalGem
It could be what you drank, but it could also be a mental health problem that should be solved. You should see a medical professional.
Kallel
Drinking before bed (even if it is a little) can disturb your sleeping patterns. Alcohol tends to disturb a deep sleep, and when it begins to ware off, you go into what is known as REM sleep (Rapid eye movement sleep), which you can wake up easily from. Usually, you have about 6-7 REM sleep cycles, but when you drink, you usually only have about 2-4, which is why you feel tired when you wake up. Drinking could also make you have to get up in the middle of the night and use the bathroom, and you are actually getting rid of extra fluids instead of that drink, which is why you may feel dehydrated. Drinking could also disturb you by making you snore loudly, waking you up. Really, avoiding drinking before bedtime is the best thing to do. It takes about an hour to get rid of one unit, and that varies between people. Drinking things like water, milk, ect. would be much better. Even a single cocktail could disturb your sleeping pattern, so the best thing to do is to avoid any drinking of alcohol before going to sleep.
LadyAragorn
Your mind Is constantly thinking of other things. Drinking encourages the stimulation of the mind...
dancingMango368785
Is your mind racing of troubles that lead you to drink? If so, have you considered turning to a friend to talk through your issues rather than a bottle?
wonderfulParadise33
It's advisable to give your body time to process the alcohol you've drunk before you try to sleep – on average it takes an hour to process one unit, but this can vary widely from person to person.
rachsxo
It depends on what you're drinking. If you had something with caffeine (eg. coke, coffee, or anything with sugar) then you will be kept awake because the caffeine works quickly. If you want to drink something right before bed, water and plain milk are relaxing to have and don't contain much sugar or any caffeine.
MissyR70
Drinking dehydrates you,resulting in muscle cramps and excessive thirst that may be the problem. Passing out from drinking will not result in deep REM sleep which what is needed for a restful night's sleep.
Anonymous
Sometimes alcohol, just as caffeine, can just keep you awake in ways you wish it did not. The alcohol makes your body alive, and it can cause to have some trouble sleeping. Alcohol also can make your mind think, and wander, which can keep you tossing and turning at night.
LunaDesireeFuller
Your brain could be trying to process what's going on as it gets confused after consuming alcohol, the wires in your brain get all tangled and it could be focusing on trying to cope with the effect the alcohol has caused
HopefulJet61
Caffeine and alcohol can cause problems within in your body if you're drinking in the late evening. You should try other drinks instead like tea or milk is what I've also seen some people say helps.
bubblingLove76
If you are referring to alcohol, it contains a lot of sugar. This may be the cause of your inability to power down.
thepidgeon
November 1st, 2015 7:09pm
I don't usually drink and when I do is with extreme caution. Since I'm on medication for my treatment, I can't, but that doesn't bother me =)
Anonymous
November 1st, 2015 7:10pm
You may have trouble tleeping because you are experiencing a buzz or the effects of being drunk. Try drinking small quantities of alcohol and see if your sleep improves. Knowing your BAC (Blood Alcohol Capacity) may help you determine what is a healthy amount of alcohol to consume. You may sleep better if you do not drink alcohol by itself. When I drink, I alternate sips of alcohol with water and eat food every few minutes to fifteen or so minutes. This can help lessen the effects of alcohol and is safer than drinking on an empty stomach. Lastly, do not drink close to bed time and regulate when you wake up and sleep each day. Routine could also be a factor.