Why do I have trouble sleeping after drinking?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

friendlyWaterfall77
when ethanol is metabolized (after 4 to 6 hours) normal deep sleep is disputed. Sometime is hard to return to sleep, or there is not enough time to do so before the alarm clock rings. The body is dehydrated, but the bladder is probably full, and this requires a trip to the bathroom.
AbeTheOpenhearted
Alcohol is well known to both decrease the quality and length of your sleep. It's a common myth that a drink before bed can help with sleep, but that is simply untrue.
sweetRainfall12
well its because too much consumption of alcohol never help you to manage your sleep. it effects your sleep and stomach.
Anonymous
this is because when you drink something e.g a cold glass of water; your brain becomes more alert and therefore causing you to stay awake. this is the same with energy drinks.
Anonymous
After drinking, your body is trying to oxidize the fluid! your body can only do so much so fast, and as youre going through this process, its harder to sleep.
heavenslightning
Having any fluid in your body can disrupt sleep. Between soda, alcohol etc. People have acid troubles and it can irritate them and make people sick when they lie down. As if it doesn't rest properly in your stomach. Drinking something more heavy like milk would be a lot healthier for when you go to bed. :)
SafeHaven28
I have trouble after drinking because I start to think about all the choices I regret in my life or the people I have lost and it gets my mind racing so much that is becomes very hard to sleep.
blackHorizon52
I too have a same problem Its not easy after drinking. But it would be easy if u drink less & exact
Anonymous
Maybe your brain or body is all hyped up from the chemicals that you've just injected into your body ahaha idk
joyousNature19
Because your body is on drugs and need to wind off of them before you drink try pre sleeping and stuff
Anonymous
If you mean drinking by like, water, no idea, maybe its something to do with your digestive system being over-active?
HelpingHand55
some people get good sleep after drink and some face trouble to sleep because they get caught in the past memories/ incident etc future planning, everything which is more important to you is get alerted in brain after drink
Anonymous
Because the room is spinning and Ur stomach is turning all you can do is sit up and wait till it ends
Anonymous
Trouble sleeping after drinking can be tricky, you do work out your liver a lot while drinking. But not being able to sleep may be caused by you having way to much on your mind, or you simply might have just be still in the stimulant style phase of the alcohol!
RedComet42
GABA activity & norepinephrine levels have real effects but so does having to pee every 20 minutes.
BlueLettuce
It may be because alcohol makes you feel more excited and more active than you really are, your body may not understand it as like you want to sleep or is in an alert state.
Anonymous
Alcohol can act as a depressant so affect your stimulation. You can tend to overthink and overanalyse.
Anonymous
Maybe you have too much on your mind that your mind is over-reacting at night time. Try relaxing excersizes before bed.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2015 3:00am
Alcohol is a downer and dehydrates you, so naturally you would have issues with sleep. It slows down your respiratory system so your organs (particularly liver) have to work much harder than usual
DreamsOfMinerva
November 21st, 2015 10:42pm
I think alcohol forces your body to work in an unusual way, numbing your blood pressure, and confusing your brain cells to get your body ready for sleep.
Anonymous
November 22nd, 2015 7:54am
Perhaps, you may have low tolerance for alcohol, which I have observed in some of my friends before. However, to positively be sure, you may want to speak with a medical professional, who has the qualifications to help you determine why this issue keeps happening.
Anonymous
Alcohol is a depressant and will not help you to sleep, it can often make you feel dizzy or sick which doesn't help
Anonymous
Because all your emotions are wound up in your logical thinking. And you tend to not astray from it but think deeply of it
HappySun33
Drinking before bed can affect REM sleep. Even after drinking because you may feel like you can get better sleep, in the long term, you won't get a better night's sleep. Drinking can also make you dehydrated and you may toss and turn because your body is not balanced.
coolbeansforjeanne
Hello! This might be because of how your body works on a biological level. While alcohol is generally a depressant (slows down functions), interference from your biology or from external things (like medication) may be to blame. According to an article on 'Psychology Today,' alcohol acts like a stimulant before it makes you sleepy. How long these effects last before you get tired are largely variable depending on your biology. Hope that helps!
Anonymous
I'd say I have trouble because my mind is way too active still. If I've gone out dancing and drinking, I come home and my mind is still out in the bar having fun.
gracefulSunshine62
Drinking has different affects on different people depending on your genes, body weight/physical factors, and just your personal response. Drinking definitely changes and your body chemistry and brain chemistry which can impair your sleep.
positive123
because your drunk
neverLonely
I have trouble sleeping after having more than two drinks. I believe the alcohol disrupts your sleep cycle, and continual problems with sleep may happen due to withdrawal.
Jerome28
I don't have trouble sleeping after drinking, but then, I don't ever drink any more than 3 drinks and that's a very rare occasion.