Why do I have trouble sleeping during a full moon?

Elizabeth Kincade, Ph.D.

I work collaboratively with clients because together we can make the changes you want and need. I listen and support and as well as advise and coach.

Tomislav
August 22nd, 2015 8:13pm
Scientists are still struggling as to why the Moon (or Lady Luna, as i like to call her πŸ˜‰) is affecting our sleep. For long it was thought that it was because of the gravitational push/pull of the Moon but we can say certainly now it is not the case. Moon is too far away for us to feel its gravity. Some believe it is the light from the Moon itself although the tests were conducted on people in completely darkened rooms, without them knowing that there is a full Moon. Although i too have trouble sleeping during these nights, i dont want this question answered... Because im a sexy werewolf πŸ˜‚ if you are still looking for answers, my dear questioner, i found an interesting article http://science.time.com/2013/07/25/how-the-moon-messes-with-your-sleep/ go to sleep earlier, drink a cup of mint tea and if you cant sleep, get out and howl at Lady Luna! Cheers!
Flowerthingy
it could have something to do with a tiny region of the brain responsible for the production of melatonin.
shoshho
hmmm I don't know probably from watching a werewolf movie but for me I believe its because of stress
Anonymous
No worry. Its just your brain signals telling you to wake up. Nothing to worry about. Just go along with it.
Anonymous
Full moons affect people differently. Some people act out, other's can't sleep. Thankfully no one turns into werewolves.
buttermilk
Perhaps in the past life you were a werewolf? Or perhaps you've watched too many werewolf movies and you're a die-hard Twilight fan and the superstitions are catching up to you. There are many legends surrounding the full moon, but keep this in mind: None of them are true. "They sound pretty true to -" No! they are not. The full moon is just one white ball that will never affect you in anyway unless you're on the ocean and there's some tide action going on.
RainOrShine
I have noticed that sometimes energy during full moon can have an effect on me. Especially on beautiful summer nights when the moon is shining bright through my open windows. It is a raw energy that keeps me up. On nights like this, I like to indulge in some hobby of mine to exert the energy in a positive way and I have to close the blinds to make it dark for me to sleep.
Malus
It's been proven recently to be a naturally occuring thing in humans. Even when in a dark room and unaware of the time of month or phase of the moon, the subjects in the experiments still experienced worse sleep than compared to any other time of the month.
RubyRMaryJane
A full moons amazing and powerful energy can sometimes cause alterations in our "normal" or "Everyday" way of thinking/acting, and/or feeling.. some call this lunacy, its very normal, maybe on full moon nights take extra measures to be relaxed and with stable emotion, I have always thought that if you can get sleep on a full moon it leads to some really crazy and interesting dreams ! Make sure to try balancing your energy , maybe using different aromas, herbs, or maybe even crystals so you can try to get sleep by the time you need to.
admirableParadise40
probably because you worry a lot about the moon, and hence you create a psychological stress on your brain which prevents you from sleeping. Just forget whether it is full moon or not.
ImListening2U
Maybe that ambience makes you think about someone!
Anonymous
You could be a werewolf ? It could be possible. Mythologically speaking. But speaking in scientific terms, it could be due to the improper release of serotonin. But i don't think there is any connection between a full moon and sleep. :) Happy to help
Peacefulmeditation
Sometimes the added light of the full moon is enough to trick your mind to thinking its still day time. Changing your sleep environment to keeping it dark helps.
RosiesBubble121
Study done in Switzerland showed that the body produces less melatonin during a full moon. Melatonin helps the body maintain a healthy sleep cycle.
Anonymous
A study by researchers have found that a connection between lunar cycles and human sleep patterns, finding a distinct drop in quality of sleep during full moon. Because the lunar cycle seems to influence human sleep, even when one does not "see" the moon and is not aware of the actual moon phase. This is the reliable evidence that lunar rhythm can modulate sleep structure in humans.
freshSmiles08
Having trouble while sleeping during a full moon day is one state of being over protective of ones own mind. In actual sense it is created long ago as per the sayings that few radiations from the moon are responsible for such state that happens very rare to a normal being but a person with neurological disturbances might percieve that but in fact the actual reason that even normal people also face such situations might be the constant listening of such sayings from people intimate to us creates an impression over our mind that we will not be able to sleep over a full moon night dominates the actual scientific reason of radiations from the moon
Anonymous
September 2nd, 2015 1:14am
It's totally normal to have trouble sleeping during a full moon. Some people think our bodies are in tune with the moon, and we're supposed to be awake during this period, because our ancestors were. In any case, you're not thinking the full moon is causing your trouble sleeping - plenty of others do! One obvious answer: it's really bright out with the full moon.
Anonymous
You may not know this, but the full moon definitely has affects on both the earth and people. When the moon is full, the tides are at their very highest all around the world. Nobody knows exactly why this is so, but it believed to have something to do with the moon's increased magnetic pull on earth. I think it has something to do with increased pressure on the body,just like the tide in oceans rising during the full moon. I've seen deer change their grazing patterns. During the full moon they point their heads toward the road as they graze and are 75% more likely to jump into the road. On normal nights, they graze with their heads pointed away from the road and are more likely to jump the other way.
Alexwolfiecorn
We, as humans have an internal clockwork system. Nobody's sure as to where it is, but that clock system is what's controlling your sleep cycle. It's theorized that our ancestors didn't sleep much on full moons as it provided light and they could scavenge more for food. I'm not sure as to if that theory may be true, but it's what I've read before. I know for a fact that humans do have an internal clock though.
StarrDust
Theres a theory that the moon has energy which can influence our lives and emotions. A full moon is when the moon is supposedly at its most powerful and can cause erratic behaviour, sleeplessness, intensified emotions, technology plays up, natural disasters etc.
sweetRainfall12
it is just a psychological thing. you do not think about it that way. but if still you need any guidance you can check it on internet.
youcantalktomee
some people are sensitive to the effects of the moon on sleep.We have to somehow accept that we don’t sleep as well during full moons as opposed to other lunar phases. It's a characteristic that you cannot easily change. Also, it could be that the lunar phase, besides sleep, can impact on your feeling, mood, and cognitive performance.
Anonymous
I have learned that during a full moon brain activity has dropped by 30%. It takes some people longer to fall asleep. Study participants felt as though their sleep was poorer, the results have shown that reduced levels of melatonin, which is a hormone known to help control sleep and wake cycles.
Anonymous
I think that people may generally have trouble sleeping during a full moon because of all the myths they must have heard of. I find that often those kinds of stories do affect us, even though we think they won't.
Anonymous
The only possible logical reason is that it's brighter outside. I have trouble sleeping with the lights on. An illogical reason is that there are lots of superstitions surrounding the full moon, but yes, they arThe moon has no physical effect on your body during a full moon that it didn't have during any other phase. It is no closer to the Earth during a full moon.
Anonymous
Why so many questions about sleeping? If that's your only problem just drink a glass of milk before going to bed and leave me alooone :(((
OverPouringCup
Nit sure never really have heard about some one not being able to sleep while full moon, but of you are unable to sleep may be full moon might not be the real cause but some underlying emotion that's being triggered by the presence of a full moon.
PsychologistGaz
There's just something about the brightness of the moon peeking through the blinds that keeps me awake longer than normal.
Anonymous
I can only think of two reasons: 1. The sunlight reflected by the moon is shining into your room and keeping you awake. At night it gets darker and colder so our bodies use these changes as a ques to go to sleep. Try getting some more opaque blinds/curtains so your room is as close to pure darkness as possible. 2. You are mentally stimulated by the fact that it's a full moon... so much so that you cannot stop thinking about it long enough to allow your brain to calm down. In that case you need to figure out what it is about the moon that fascinates/scares/intrigues/angers/excites/(insert feelings and thoughts about moon here) so much (books and or movies may be involved) and avoid thinking about that for at least half an hour before bed. If that doesn't work, try out different methods of relaxation e.g yoga, meditation, light reading, counting sheep, ASMR videos (whatever works best for you!) to help distract you and put you in the right mindset to sleep. Hope this helped!
beautyyyi
August 22nd, 2015 8:49pm
When there's a full moon, it throws your body off balance and it will take longer for you to get to sleep and trying to stay sleep throughout the night.