Why do I keep waking up at night?

Lara Gregorio, LCSW

Therapist

I believe that depression can feel all-consuming. I have a real passion for helping my clients to reclaim their voices and lives from depressive thoughts.

Anonymous
Sometimes waking up at night can mean that you are restless or can't stop thinking about a certain issue or topic, maybe you are anxious or sad about an unresolved issue. I would try identifying any unhappy situations or causes in your life, and then try to eliminate or decrease the stress that comes from these situations by coping mechanisms
Anonymous
This is a question I've asked myself numerous times in the past. I used to have horrible sleep maintenance insomnia where I'd wake up at 3am every night and struggle to go back to sleep. I did a lot of random googling and then came up with new questions: Do I take naps during the day? How early do I go to bed every night? Do I have constant anxious thoughts that appear to plague me more in the evening/night? Do I have alcohol/caffeine/sugar before I sleep? How hot/cold is my bedroom? Do I use my bedroom as my study room/dining room/lounge and thus treat it as a space for work/eating/other stimulating activities? Do I maintain a regular sleep schedule?
Anonymous
it may be due to stress during the day and insufficient rest the night before, be sure to sleep well!
StaySafe
There can be a lot of reasons why someone might continue to wake up during the night. Some common reasons include things such as having a television on or listening to music while sleeping. These things can both affect your quality of sleep by distracting you during your sleep and can wake you up by making sudden noises.
zaix
Waking up during the night is normal and is something almost everyone does but normally we think nothing of it.
MJ1
waking up at night can be stopped by making sure you have good bed hygiene, no caffeine in the afternoon, chocolate or high sugar drinks or meals and make sure you're active during the day
Josefina93
If you wake up at night it's probably because something is worrying or stressing you. This used to happen to me, when I stopped worrying I was able to get a better sleep. But it can also mean you have some sort of sleep disorder.
moonlightpeace
You may have something on your mind, or your room may not be in the best state for your sleep. Relax and find what works for you.