Why do I keep waking up too early in the morning?

★ This question about Sleeping Well was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

Anonymous
I understood that you wake up too early in the morning. How does this make you feel? Is it a real problem, or could you turn it in to something useful?
Anonymous
Good question. This is a subjective question that only the individual can answer by self reflecting and insights in one's own behaviors, actions, and cognition.
Anonymous
Well, it depends! It may be that you are feeling stressed and wake up so early because you have many things to do during the day and many things on your mind! But from my experience, mostly people wake up early due to their biological clock! Your body has got used to waking up early or you are just an early-waker type so your body wakes you up too early! If you feel that waking up too early affects the rest of your day you can discuss it with an expert such as a phsychologist or a doctor and see what you can do to solve your problem! :)
inplantDDT
Sometimes if you are stressed about something in your subconscious, you can wake yourself up without realising, try to do some deep breathing before you go to sleep and sort things out the night before to avoid being stressed in the morning.
Anonymous
It may be from stress that you are feeling that hasn't been resolved or poor eating or a set time schedule your body is used to in life.
PileOfRubbles
The brain got used to a certain timetable and your internal clock follows it. Its mostly biologically. But it can be changed. Don't know why you would want that tho
leanonme93
If you're prone to anxiety, chances are thoughts can bring you want to get the day started early. If not, think about your alarm, if it's too early, or your health life. processed foods can upset the stomach even in deep sleep. And lack of exercise can leave the body without enough melatonin for the body to use for a good night's rest.
calmingPresence26
There are a few things to consider when trying to figure out why you are waking up too early. First of all, are you under a lot of stress? If so, try to find a way to decompress. Take a daily walk, catch a yoga class, practice sitting quietly before going to bed and notice the rhythm of your chest rising and falling with each breath. Try a little stretching and/or take a warm bath soak to soothe jangled nerves and relax tired muscles. Modern environmental stresses can affect your circadian rhythm, too. TV and mobile phone usage before bedtime can definitely upset your body's natural rhythms so why not try turning off the devices, dim your lights and/or enjoy the flames of a candle dance about? And avoid junk food, too. That can disturb your biological functions. Another idea is to listen to a meditation to re-train your body/mind to release tension and heal anxiety. These are just a few ideas to start with.
Anonymous
I usually wake up super early when i’m either hungry or too warm. Make sure to never go to sleep with an empty stomach. Also make sure you leave the window open at night so you are able to receive fresh air along with a cool breeze. When you’re cold you tend to sleep more/stay in bed.
Anonymous
It is great, you can use that time for procrastination or work. Enjoy it ! most people go to bed late and wake up late. Much love :). Ps. close the blind's it cud be just morning light :P
Anonymous
Sometimes I wake up too early because i'm used to my school routine, so I'm used to waking up at 7am in the morning. It can be frustrating, but such is life! :)
Anonymous
You might be going to bed too early. If you usually wake up early for school or work, your body has a natural rhythm. This means that your body has gotten used to waking up early, and just does it automatically. It's like a natural alarm clock!
Anonymous
In my experience, I wake up early because of a couple of reasons - Jet lag Bad sleep cycle Insomnia etc
Dillion
August 2nd, 2015 11:59pm
Sometimes you wake up early in the morning because its a routine thing for your body to realize its time to get up, a lot of people ask this question when they are on vacation, or have a day off from work. Other times it could be an underlying medical condition, you would want to see your family doctor for this.
Anonymous
Maybe its because if a nightmare you may have forgotten once waking up. It may possibly be because of something you faced during the day, such as too much stress or maybe a fight with someone close to you.
Aryore
It's possible there might be some kind of outside disturbance waking you up, like your neighbour mowing the lawn or a light (even a small one like thr air con timer) turning on in your room. Apart from that, you could be sleeping too early or too late, so that you're always entering light sleep around that time and get easily woken up. You can try calculating your ideal sleeping times with an online calculator like this one: sleepyti.me
CoffeeTeaAndHonesty
There can be multiple causes for this, such as: insomnia, anxiety or depression provokings, sleep apnea, or some other circadian rhythm disorder.
Snakefoxbox
My body remembers what it was like to wake up early for school, so maybe your body's clock works like that
Anonymous
Well, when I had that problem, it usually meant that I was hungry because I hadn't eaten before going to bed.
Supergirl94
If you go to bed to early than your body gets the rest it needs and will wake up when its replenished
Supporter0498
Your body could be used to waking up at that time possibly. Try to set a sleeping schedule up.
igetcha
I wake up too early when I'm nervous about something. I tend to naturally sleep less when I'm anxious & more when I'm depressed
introvertedwolf
Stress and depression have this common symptom. Before going to bed, make sure you are relaxed and relieved, drink a tea, have a hot bath, it will help.
littlefawn93
You might be feeling restless when you fall asleep, which can cause you to get less rest. While sleep aids like ZZZQuil can help you get a good night's sleep, you should also be wary of becoming dependent on these medications, especially if you have issues with addiction. This may not work for everyone, but try to avoid eating anything sugary or with lots of caffeine at least 2 hours before bed, and turn off electronics at least 1 hour before. Make sure your room is dark and quiet, but if silence bothers you, some soft music or audiobooks playing is okay. I personally like to listen to the podcast Welcome to Night Vale to put me to sleep when I'm having trouble.
Anonymous
Assuming you are an early riser, try going to bed later at night. It might be you are getting too much sleep and your body forces you to rise. Or it could be simple, for example you have the sunrise shining on your face in the morning.
sweetSun27
I wake up early in the morning because it makes me feel a lot better about myself and I can get a lot more things accomplished.
wave
It's I because I haven't build enough sleep drive or I have too many things racing through my mind that need to be resolved.
RocketClouds
It is your body's biological clock. It has for some reason set itself to wake you up early, which isn't always a bad thing! But you if you feel that you're getting less sleep, you can always try and go to bed early. Early to bed, early to rise!
YouMatterMost710
Honestly, I wake up for my sweet feline Bella, she is the positive energy in my life for now. Responsibilities are important.
Anonymous
1. Preserve the darkness. Keep the room dark when you wake up. Keep a small book light or mini flashlight next to your bed and use it to navigate your way to the bathroom, or put a dim night-light in the bathroom and leave the door cracked, so you can find your way there. Whatever you do, don't turn on the overhead light in the bathroom once you're inside. 2. Move the clock out of reach. Constantly checking the clock and calculating how long you've been awake only feeds your anxiety: "Oh no, now I'm only going to get five hours of sleep." Set the alarm, then move the clock where you can't see or check it. 3. Write it down, then let it go. On your bedside table, keep a notebook and pen devoted solely to nighttime "worry lists." Using a dim night-light, write down each thought that's bothering you. Then, after you write it down, make a conscious effort to cross it off the list in your mind. In the morning, transfer the action items to your to-do list. Over time, you'll develop faith in yourself that writing down your worries equates with getting them done.