Why do I keep waking up too early in the morning?

★ This question about Sleeping Well was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

JaNaè Taylor, PhD, LPC

I work to provide culturally tailored services to my clients through support, advocacy, and reflection.

Anonymous
Your sleep schedule is probably off. Try using a melatonin supplement or drinking cherry juice before going to bed. It will keep you asleep.
MotherWillow93
Possibly because you are going to bed too early. Could be a light sleeper. One thing for sure is that is the time your body chooses to naturally wake itself up. Naps during the day also can cause you to wake up earlier in the morning.
ImHere01
Maybe not you manage to reconcile sleep well, you should relax more before bedtime. This is my opinion.
castleofsleep
I often wake up too early because of light. It can help a lot to make sure your curtains or blinds are covering the entire window and experimenting with how you lie down so that you may sleep longer.
nthngbttrth
bcoz. of the fast food that has ruined the stomach nd the activities we do thats unfit for our body act as reasons
Ieatkrogans
You may have a sleeping disorder or be in need of more exercise. There are many possible causes, including psychological ones.
AcornCactus
Circadian Rhythm maybe? Or the room may be too bright for you. In some extreme cases, it might be insomnia, but probably not
MaOh
When I'm stressed and worried about missing something, I wake up too early in the morning. It's really about fear.
Chevy81
Because I'm stessed over something or because there will be something big happen in those days, such as: wedding, graduation, final exams, long trip away from home, etc.
adoredEndfoftherainbow33
You have some unanswered questions and worries that you can't get a good long term answer for them.
Anonymous
You need to go later to bed, that should help. Don't drink coffee, because coffee makes you sleep less.
RamBamTheBeast
Well i wake up to early because i take naps in the middle of the day because i stayed up late so the naps take away from that making me wake up far too early than i would like, unable to go back to sleep
Anonymous
You're physically disturbed either due to hunger, temperature, noise or you are emotionally disturbed and cannot rest peacefully due that.
optimisticKoala39
Perhaps you are going to sleep too early. If you are an early bird take as a gift not a curse. get ahead with your day. Prepare your breakfast, plan out your day, etc. If you feel you are not getting enough rest try to exercise some hours before bedtime.
adoredSunshine93
Whenever I wake up too early in the morning, I am usually under a lot of stress and cannot switch my mind off completely. I find it helps to keep a notepad and a pen next to my bed so I can write down everything I think needs to be done throughout the day. Also, for me personally sleep masks work wonders as I am very sensitive to light.
Anonymous
because you woke up early in whole school time and in summer you body is acustomed to woke up early and you automatically woke up :) but its my opinion
CharlotteBanana97
Maybe you could try going to sleep a little later, or doing more throughout the day to use up a little more energy.
Anonymous
Perhaps it's a force of habit (internal clock), perhaps you slept too much, too deep and this is your body's way of reacting, perhaps you're anxious or looking forward to something
sighnomore
I wake too early when I my mind is full, whether it's school or my relationship, distraction is key!
Anonymous
our bodies biological clock being set for a certain time so we automatically wake up when the "alarm clock" hits. However, you can always try to re-trick your body and telling it that it's not the right time by consistently sleeping after being woken up.
Anonymous
If your on vacation from school it's because your body has gotten used to the usual time if your awakening if you get up early for school.
beautifulHand49
You might not be getting enough activity in the day, so your not burning a lot of energy, which means your body needs less sleep.
usefulSoul33
Could be down to many things, I find a tend to wake up earlier than normal when I have things weighing on mind or if I know I have a lot to do that day. A lot of it could be dependent on the time of year, I always wake earlier in the summer compared to the winter due to the time it gets light.
goldenPresence66
Because you got used to it for quite a while just as if u wake up for school,your brain has something similar to an automatic alarm clock which enables the body nerves to be more alert at a certain period of time and as long as you start alerting yourself everyday , you shall wakeup at the same time :)
seesarrow
You keep waking up too early because your stress hormones are increasing, causing excess brain activity which wakes you up.
Tiger2279
My reason for waking up is that my body is telling me that LIFE is worth living and not sleeping. I need to live each day as if it were my last day, if I slept too long it would make my "last day" shorter. Enjoy life for what it is!
KfindingSpeaceK
There's many possible answers to this question. If you go to sleep too early you may find yourself waking up early as well. If something disrupts your sleep cycle every morning you may also find yourself waking up early. Things like stress, anxiety, and depression can also cause sleep cycle disruptions. If you used to wake up at a certain early time every morning due to a job, school, etc. your body may still be following that sleep schedule.
HopeDaviss07
your mind is probably telling you to wake up and start your day. Even if you don't want to listen to your body, it knows best!!
peachysunny
because you have an early body clock that is not a bad thing but can be avoided by relaxing more on a whole
AngelMom29
I wake up early in the morning because I have to fix my daughter for school. I cook breakfast and make sure that she has food to bring.