Why do I think, toss and turn when I try to sleep at night?

Romania

Maria Anisia Dascalescu Cocan, Ma

Therapy slogan : confidentiality, respect and professionalism!

Lieke
There can be multiple reasons to toss and turn when you are trying to sleep but one of the main reasons people are experiencing trouble sleeping is bad sleeping hygiene. That may sound a bit strange, but it basically means that you keep your bedroom or bed-area clean and devoid of things that might wake you or distract you. There are some great tips on this website on how to improve your sleeping rhythm: http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/getting/overcoming/tips A second thing that might come into play is your cellphone. Cellphones send out blue light that our brains see as "daylight" so looking at your computer screen or cellphone will make your brain feel like it's day. Hence you will not sleep. To battle this there are several apps that apply filters on your phone, you can find them by searching for daylight filters. Good luck! :)
thelightisinside
Because your mind is super active. When you lay on your bed, you need to turn off everything. Cell Phones, worries, thoughts. If you are in bed and it's been a while since you're trying to sleep, get up, make chamomile tea, do some meditations and try again.
davidedwrd
Maybe because I work too hard all the time working 50 hours a week and going home cleaning then house and all I want to donis watch Tele
Nisee96
I think the reason for this is because at night we are finally just taking a breather and resting so everything that is on our minds just start coming up and then we end up over thinking and then we toss and turn instead of sleeping.
AstralShadow
I get those sometimes as well. My reasoning is because i turn alot because one position just GETs too uncomfortable. As for thinking, you just have alot on your plate. Think of something you want to think of before you idealy want to sleep. And naturally you will fall asleep. BY THE WAY, dont use any technology before you sleep. once you hit the bed, sleep on it. Dont start texting cause someone notified you. IT won't help you sleep if you use your tech. :) Sleeping is a wonderful awesome thing
Anonymous
Hello! I'm here to share my answer about that question :D Usually these toss and turns happens to me when i'm overthinking things or whenever I feel really guilty about something... These also happens when I feel jittery about something. But, on the positive sign, this happens when you think about something particular or someone that was present during your day. The human works in ways and when you can't sleep, it's usually because your brain still doesn't process that your body is ready to sleep. It's excited about what has already happened and it keeps hanging on to that moment that it almost refuses to let you sleep, no matter what you do. NOTE-Based on a personal experience. Not scientifically proven (I think so) xxxxx
simran14
because thats the only peaceful time that you can think...other times we are too occupied. its normal...what you can do to avoid bad thoughts is that counter them with good ones
EmLemBee
I think a lot of people, myself included, are feeling very overwhelmed by uncertainty, especially with everything going on in the world right now. It can be hard to “turn our brains off” to go to sleep sometimes. Personally, when I’m tossing and turning, I will often be thinking about events of the past day or week, wondering how they could have gone better, and what else I could have done. I also find myself thinking about the future and find myself wondering what will happen and how I can best prepare myself to deal with whatever comes my way.