Why do I wake up at 3am?

Why do I wake up at 3am?

Elena Morales, LMHC

I believe silence creates a cycle. With empathic and collaborative therapy, we break the cycle. I help clients feel validated and supported passed anger, shame, and anxiety.

Anonymous
You might have jet lagt after a trip. Or you might have slept too much in the daytime. Or you are thinking of things and your subconscious wakes you up.
Anonymous
Disruption to sleep cycles is a common cause, often caused by stress or other emotional/neurological issues that disrupt REM sleep.
shoshho
i wake up at 3 am probably from sleeping to early or from school stress and then i go to school not feeling too well
Supergirl94
It could be from a dream you were having, from drinking to much before bed or eating right before bed. Could be because of any noise going on in your house, your body temperature (if your cold or hot), adjusting how you lay. Anything can trigger you to wake up. Which personally annoys me when I am trying to get a good sleep and wake up randomly late in the night.
Anonymous
Unresolved subconscious issues scratching at your mind, nightmares, all sorts of things. The best way to handle this is to react calmly and realize where you are.
gloriousMelody16
i wake up at 3am because the thoughts of becoming a failure and letting my loved one down huants my memory. being able to have a good night rest is something i yearn for because i have allowd life to get the best of me . i have now tried mediatation and prayer to help me through because i can only allow what gets the best of me and learning how to block it has been a great deal of help. self motivation is the key always stay up never down.
Aleetsgo
The sleep can be affected for many reasons, like stress, a bad diet, bad habits, and more. "There are the individuals whose cortisol levels are out of rhythm with their internal body clock."
Anonymous
Why do I wake up at 3am every morning? It's a question I ask myself a lot. Probably because I'm stressed or anxious or mad about something that happened that day, and it keeps me awake. Find out what's stressing you out, and try and fix it. This will help stop you from waking up at 3am. :)
AliceGentleSpring
You wake up at 3am because of sleep imbalance...you should see a doctor about that. Your doctor might give you medication so you can sleep throughout the whole night or recommend you go see a sleep clinic.
AmazingEars15
Maybe you have to go to bathroom or you are scared of waking up too late, your sleep might be stressed.
emikee
You could possibly have a sleeping disorder. They're pretty common, and it's nothing to be worried about. Try talking to your local doctor about your sleeping issues. Or, you could try an "Over-the-Counter" medication called, "Melatonin." Although, I would defiantly ask your doctor before trying this.
TristanJamez
Based on my personal experience, if I consistently wake up at 3am every single night, I would think it's because of stress. Sometimes when we have a lot on our mind, we don't get enough sleep, and sometimes wake up multiple times throughout the night. If you find it's being VERY constant, you might want to visit your family doctor!!
HelpfulGuidance
October 22nd, 2015 1:20am
I wake up at three am because of stress. This is especially hard when I am nervous and my stomach starts to ache.
Abilouise
October 22nd, 2015 9:40am
I wake up at 3 am normally if I have to much on my mind, So I don't get to settle into a deep sleep.
Anonymous
I wake up at 3am when I drink too much caffeine late in the day or do cardio in the evening. Other times I'm awake at 3am is when I'm feeling anxious about my relationships or deadlines and money issues.
diligentTangerine83
I find that when I'm waking up in the middle of the night or even when I have trouble sleeping it's because something is bothering me and I haven't given myself time to work it out. When that happens the most helpful thing for me has been to write it down. Write down what I'm thinking and feeling. Usually that helps me have a better nights sleep.
mysteriousPeace21
It could be alot of different things. You may have sleeping problems that you need to see a GP about or it could be simple things like the environment your in, the noise around you, how you sleep, the temperature and many other things.
healingMoon21
Possibly could be due to unresolved stress/anxiety that was not dealt with before bed. Maybe journal before bed to get all of these thoughts off your chest before sleeping.
Anonymous
Sometimes people experience a number of reasons. Your body has something called sleep cycles and when one finishes you may wake up. Also, you may have a dream and your brain will tell you to wake up if the dream becomes too unpleasant. There are a number of reasons but these are two examples. Why do you think you wake up at that time?
wonderfulParadise33
This could possibly be due to your adrenal glands secreting various chemicals at the wrong time, however diagnosis for adrenal problems need to be conducted by a health care practitioner
Mydogted18
Sometimes you are awake at 3am because you are worrying about things, for example if i have and essay thats gotta be in I would worry about it constantly and end up still awake worrying about it and then get going on it. I wonder why I am so knackered
Marin9rose
Yes that happens me too.. I wake briefly after having rested from about 10 or 11 pm.. Can't say I know the reason except maybe the body is a bit bored of sleeping?
Anonymous
3 am is the deepest hour when you fall asleep. It can be that you need more rest during the day. Constant restless movement can cause tour body to be uncomfortable and wake you up at 3 am.
slowTime
For many people it is because that's the time when adrenal glands levels can be high enough and wake you up as if it is a new day.
TheRelaxingLewy
I started waking up so that I could start going to the gym, to help improve my physical body and boost my own self esteem. I've found that over time this new me has spread into others and generating positive energy in them. I'm a firm believer that your physical body and mental are connected and they bounce off each other in healthiness and attitude towards life and people.
friendlyWaterfall77
the time depends on when you took your last drink, how much you drank, your metabolic rate, and other factors, but the basic idea is that the Alcohol wears off and your sleep is disputed.
Anonymous
It might be for different reasons, related to either physical or mental health. Maybe you've been dealing with a lot of stress or anxiety? In that case, try Mood Boosts here on 7 cups - personally I have found them really helpful!
SparkySparkz
A quiet morning time when no-one else around is pretty awesome! It can be calming sometimes being the only one awake, it's nice to have a little "me" time in the peace and tranquillity of your own company sometimes ^_^
Anonymous
I'm not sure. Do you live in a house or an apartment? Is there a train that passes by, or a neighbor who leaves for work at that time? Does anything in your home turn on or off at 3 am? Does your bedtime change or remain consistent? Have you tried experimenting with a different bedtime? For example, if you go to bed at 12 and wake up at 3, and you start going to bed at 1, will that cause you to wake up at 4? Or would you still wake up at 3 am? if you can, try to collect data on yourself, keep a journal to see if your body/mind is waking up after a certain number of hours, or if it's specifically at a certain time. If it's the same clock-time every night then there might be something in your external environment that is waking you up. If you tend to wake up after only sleeping a certain number of hours, then it could be something internal (stress, biological, circadian rhythm, hormonal, breathing, etc).
heavenslightning
There can be many reasons but ill answer with my personal experience. Leaving the television on and drinking lots of water does not help. Cheers :) I would consult a doctor if the problem persists.