Why do I wake up feeling very sore and achey?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Anonymous
You probably fall asleep in a position that strains your muscles over a long period of time, because when we fall asleep our body paralysis and we are not able to move anymore so make sure you fall asleep in a comfortable position or consider getting a comfortable pillow
Chocovanillatwistx
Maybe you're positioned at night in a way that isn't comfortable, or perhaps your mattress isn't as oft as it could be. Do you participate in any strenuous physical activities during the day? That could play a part as well. If you look at these things and it still doesn't improve, you should probably speak with your doctor! Also, check out the 7cupsoftea guide on sleeping well :)
Anonymous
Dehydration can make you feel like you have the flu. Is there fresh air in your bedroom? Could you be tensing up while you sleep? Do you have someone who could check on your position at various hours of the night. Try meditation of some kind every day. I hope you figure this out and feel better soon.
StormyAngles18 - Expert in Sleeping Well
If you are waking up feeling very sore and achey then it may be the bed your are sleeping on. Or your daily activities are a strain on your muscles or you may be sufferin from an underlining condition involving muscle soreness and acheyness.
Anonymous
January 2nd, 2016 10:43pm
Well, I think it depends on the activity you did before you went to sleep or what kind of mattress you're sleeping on. Some of the springs in the mattresses are just terrible.
Anonymous
This can be due to restless sleep or sleeping at a later hour. Stress can play a big role as well!!!
soothingRainfall86
This could be based upon how you sleep. You should try sleeping a position more comfortable to you, this may help you feel much better when you wake up. Maybe spend a week trying different positions.
HarleyPoison
It might be because of doing a lot of physical activity the day before, however since I am not familiar with your daily routine I can not give you a solid answer. The best thing to do would be to talk to your doctor about it. Also a warm bath with a cup of epsom salts in it doesn wonders for sore muscles :)
ClareBlissfulSoul22
This would need further questions to get to an answer. Have you been working out? doing exercise? Physical activity? Have you been feeling unwell? a virus can make us feel achey and sore as can our muscles and bodies adjusting to different types of physical activity or exercise. If this persists and or you are worried seek professional advice.
Anonymous
this could be to do with exercise that you did the day before or this is also a symptom of depression or anxiety
BecomingStronger
It's probably because of bad mattress and/or wrong sleeping position. The best thing you can do is when you wake up in the morning do an easy stretching routine or yoga.
DifferentJinx
It could be due to restless sleeping, from my experiences of restless sleeping it can cause soreness and aching as well as irritability
beautifulOcean
Are you exercising before bed, or throughout the day? That's always a possible reason, I exercise nearly every day and I often wake up sore. I would assume it's because of either strenuous physical activity, or you need a new mattress.
LoveYou315
Personally, this happens when I don't get enough sleep or when I'm stressed when I go to sleep in the first place.. What I do to help it- I take warm long showers/baths, listen to music while in the shower and before / during my sleep. Hope this helped!
ListenLady91
Sometimes if you're up all night, dealing with emotional pain, or just getting no sleep, your body can experience a physical exhaustion that results in aches and pains
Herequeerandcheering
Usually it has to do with something you did before going to sleep. Like working out, lifting something heavy, pulled a muscle or maybe it's even the position you sleep in
ashbradbury42
It could be your bed or sleeping position, or possibly your pillow. Try to switch out some of those variables (I.e., if you sleep on your back, get a pillow designed for that).
EffeErc91
it's normal. Try to relax during the day and try to do relaxing things before sleeping.
kindhearted29
Are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can certainly lead to waking up feeling unwell. Keeping a regular schedule with exercise, food and sleep if also important to helping your body feel healthy.
Maddiejb202
Good question. It is most likely because you slept oddly. If you workout Alot the day before then go to sleep, you might also feel this wake when you wake up.
Amalovespurple
This could because of the position in which you lay throughout the night which could be causing the sore sensation also the amount of pillows used( e.g: too much ) can effect the neck & shoulder muscles aswell.
Anonymous
Well, how are sleeping at night? Does the position you wake up in seem uncomfortable. If so you could try to find a better sleeping position or trying to relax the nght before you go to sleep.
Ali2015
There may be a variety of reasons for this; maybe it's the position you're sleeping in, a draft of cold air from a window, anxiety or a medical issue. Take a look at some of those things just mentioned; maybe try sleeping in a different way, double check there isn't a draft before going to bed, do a mindfulness exercise and/or have a relaxing cup of warm milk (I like mine with some honey) before bed. If you think it might be a medical problem talk to your doctor.