Why does it take me so long to fall asleep?

14 Answers.
Top Rated Answer
chanelsdaisy
you think too much. You can't let your thoughts go.Maybe you are afraid of the next day, something you are afraid of at school?
Newest Answer
elfieee2
Focusing too much on how long it takes you to sleep creates anxiety around the subject, ironically preventing sleep... If you try to focus your attention instead on relaxing muscles one by one, as if releasing their energy, you will with practise feel heavy and relaxed. I find that this combined with deep breathing helps me sleep immensely. Try searching sleep meditation videos to listen to on Youtube. I really think this helps with anxiety, relaxing and falling asleep quickly.

Want to better understand yourself?

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
ChocoholicMouse
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
KatieWhite
Do you Think a lot, that can cause unrest. Do you watch tv. Or play on a phone before bed? The light can cause strain on your eyes making it harder to sleep. Also if you had caffeine too close to bed time.
WillBC23
This is a very common problem. Sometimes it can be caused by exposure to too much light, especially blue light, before bed. If you're looking at screens a lot in the evening, a program like flux may be able to help. I also have found taking melotonin to be very helpful when trying to fall asleep, I used to stay awale for at least an hour but after I started taking it I usually fall asleep within 20 minutes.
Anonymous
Because all of the thoughts or things I have worried about, decide to clog up my brain when I want to go to bed.
Anonymous
Sometimes your brain is wired from different activities like playing on your computer or on your phone, or maybe drinking sugary drinks before you go to bed. But also at times, you may not feel tired enough for your body to naturally fall asleep, hence why it takes a while to fall asleep.
Anonymous
maybe you've got too much on your mind add the time. try relaxing more or doing relaxation exercises before going to sleep it might help you. there is something I do, i repeat in my head don't fall asleep multiple times and eventually I do because your brain will try not listening to what you want
Anonymous
Maybe you think about things and that is keeping your mind busy thinking instead of being busy resting.
LoveNotHate
A lot of times when you're laying in bed, you have nothing to keep you distracted so your mind likes to race endlessly. It's worthwhile to take time out of your day and find ways to manage your racing thoughts, so when it's time to lay down at the end of the day, you aren't stuck thinking for hours.
Recent Answers
patientFriend96
If you drink caffeine before bed or have a lot on your mind, it can keep you up at night! Avoid caffeine before bed and try to calm your mind before bed (listen to music, read a book, etc.)
MilaMaric1
Because your brain is very active. You should do something to calm your brain before you go to sleep. You could play sudoku, drink thee or hot milk, massage your head, write your thoughts down,...
EnlightenedLux
This is likely because you're simply not tired. That's all. You spend your day doing physical labor for 8 hours and you'll sleep like a rock
Anonymous
Even now, I have this problem also. There are many reasons why it may take you so long to fall asleep. The most common one I have come across is anxiety. Throughout a person's life, it is incredibly often that worry consumes your thoughts, JUST at the wrong time! Sometimes when I lie in bed unable to sleep I find it useful to just breathe and count each breath I take. It also helps if you drink a glass of water before you go to sleep, and staying off all devices for roughly an hour previously! Lavender is also a natural smell that can be used for getting to sleep faster.
ShinyAegislash
Well, whenever I feel like it's taking me too long to fall asleep, I first try to stay as still as I can and focus on my breathing. After a while I focus on one thought, and eventually I'm asleep. Listen to some soft piano also really helps.