How can I deal with someone that is acting like a 'diva'?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

Anonymous
Understand why this behvaiour bothers you. Evaluate your behaviour. Evaluate your behaviour towards the other person. Think about what you're winning and losing from this behaviour.
Anonymous - Expert in Relationship Stress
Ignore them. Be professional, curt and civil. You can control other people's behavior, thoughts, or feelings - this means that unruly people sometimes have to be let alone so they can be unruly unto themselves.
PaleRose12
What do you mean by "Diva" you need to explain what you are dealing with please rewrite and send again.
Millichidulinas
If you think that she's not a "diva" just move on and go away. I mean, if you don't need this kind of person in your life just go away from her/him, if you need her just accept her/him.
IrishLauren
I guess it depends on how you feel about it. I would talk to mutual friends and try to understand the reason for it.
Anonymous
Keep in mind that their behavior is a result of their insecurities. They use being a diva as a defense mechanism for hiding their secret worries. Show compassion as much as possible!
Dawn04
Let her know how she is making you and others feel. If possible, stop dealing with her - let her realize her own actions are driving away her friends.
Apollosdaughter
Deal like a diva yourself too! You're much smatter than you think. And what not can you do. Ask your heart, or hear your subconscious, to get to know the right answer.
generalanesthetiics
If at all possible it is best to ignore those around you that act in a way you might not agree with. I have often found that the people who are the most difficult for me to get along with are those struggling the most. Be compassionate and kind but ultimately it is best to keep out of situations where it is negatively affecting you.
HopieRemi
I usually tell the person what I am feeling and let them know that it doesn't come off as well. I try to say it in a kind way.
Rajnin
if your looking to fit in with their crowd then you have to go along with it. If you don't like it and want to not deal with it, stay away from them
kindheart14
You don't have to deal with her. She is the one who has to deal with it. You don't wanna worry about it until it bothers ur daily life physically or mentally. Just stay calm.
Anonymous
Give them the 'pity' look! Just kidding, but if it really bothers you, just avoid interacting with them.
indigoWest684
The best way to deal with people who you might feel are behaving in a way that you don't like is to try and not get involved with there behaviour and to focus on yourself and what is best for you. We interact with people from all walks of life. We work with different people and also have friends, family members and relationships. Just as we ourselves have off days people around us also have off days but there behaviour is not our responsibility and we can only be responsible for ourselves and what we do. Just try not to worry too much or overthink and relax, be strong and don't allow it to affect your day and personal mood. Best of luck
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 1:33am
Simply ignore them. They are not worth your time. Giving them your time is pointless because you can not change someone who doesn't want to change.
steelnerve
Say something along the lines of,'I just want to have a meaningful conversation, like 2 genuine people should', if that doesn't make them get off from their high horse, consider them done and dusted, and look for someone else to talk to.
Brandi4life
When someone is acting like a diva they are just doing it for attention most of the time. In order to get them to stop usually the best thing to do is ignore them.
Anonymous
There are a lot of different ways depending on how you want to do it. You could always be direct and just tell them, or you could just ignore them or do something subtle like roll your eyes at them.
Melody293
When I have had to deal with people like this, I've usually found that the best thing to do is to gently tell them that they're overreacting or being rude.
ItsOkayMyLove
Sometimes the best you can do is ignore them if it's a coworker, classmate, etc. If it's someone you know then, maybe you should talk to them about it. If they refuse to listen to you, then may be it's best to cut them out of your life.
CopperSkies
Maybe you should speak to this person and ask them why they are acting in that particular way. However, if after your conversation they refuse to change in anyway, the best thing you could do is avoid them.
Anonymous
Ignore the diva, it may sound impossible, but that's the best thing you can do, soon enough they will get bored of it
celerystacey
If you do not particularly like this person, I think it would be best to just avoid them rather then potentially hurt their feelings by saying something they may not want to hear.
Anonymous
don't mind his or her business and don't approach him/her about it because it may bring more problems ,let he/her be his/her self.
OrangeGlow
Divas will act like divas, because that's what they're supposed to do! Why would I even try to deal with them?
TheTripleS719
What I do is act like a diva right back. They realize you're imitating them, and most of the time it makes them stop.
BeyondEmpathy
Maybe you could spend some time reflecting on what makes you think of them as a DiVA? What are the things that they do that annoy or irritate you? In the moment its your choice as whether you choose to be around them or whether you feel it best to ignore them. Though I sometimes why are their reasons to be the Diva.
Anonymous
Try to look past the diva moments and focus on the other parts of the person. If this does not work, try telling the person they are making you feel uncomfortable.
xCaringTeenx
Keep treating them nicely no matter how much they bother you. Let them know you're a strong caring person! Don't be rude though !!
ehorncastle20
Try and keep your distance if they are irritating you. You can't change people, but you can change your response to them.