Sometimes I hear a voice in my head that tells me negative things like everyone hates me or I should kill myself. What should I do?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW,

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

Anonymous
Figure out who your support group is: trusted friends, family members, school counselors, a doctor, and reach out to them with this information. Tell them, "Sometimes I hear a voice in my head that tells me negative things like everyone hates me or that I should kill myself. Can you help me? I really need some support." Those people who are really good for you will stick around and help you find the right treatment path. It is okay to find that path without a support group if you do not know many people! Reach out to a local therapist or an online therapist for support. Look at the self-help guides on 7cups and determine if one of them matches how you feel. I cannot tell you how you feel, but it sounds like you might be experiencing depression, which is treatable and can be recovered from.
KrisisKontrol
Go to a specialist who can diagnose you properly then take the necessary steps they recommend. Try to reassure yourself and get support from the people in your life.
CourageousCaramel
I understand that you'd be very afraid that this is happening to you. You are the best judge on what you are to do. I seems to me that you should contact someone who is an expert in this sort of thing (therapist, psychiatrist etc.) while trying to ignoring those negative things. Here's something positive from me: you are a strong person despite all this.
Anonymous
Focus on positive thoughts, remember the people you know love you and that there is always some-one here who can be there for you.
Anonymous
You should try to consult your parents about this, you could get professional help on it that a listener may not be able to provide
originalbraveheart63
You should meet a therapist and talk to him about it. They are specialized people that would help you.
smoltimes
You should tell a trusted adult or health professional about it. You should take this seriously and tell someone as soon as possible.
WorkInProgress11
It sounds like it may be time to see a doctor. There are some things that we can handle ourselves with a good support network, but there are some things that we just can't do on our own without some professional intervention.
CourageousSunset30
I'm sorry you are going through a challenging time at the moment. Can you tell me a bit about what is going on around you?
lyricalSunshine89
Don't listen to that voice. Ignore it, I know it is really hard but try listening to the positive voice. There are people that love you and care about you by listening to that voice maybe you're just distancing yourself from them. Try hanging out with positive people, it helps and also don't forget to smile.😊
TheRealMadison
i used to go through the ssme things. i went to seek professional help, it really got me through it.
Butterfly121
Consult with a therapist or doctor to figure out the best options for you to deal with this issue, there are many different therapy options both online and in person and hotlines as well.
Anonymous
Write them down in a journal and if that doesnt work then I suggest maybe talking to a therapist about it
Anonymous
The best thing I can say is to talk to someone, whether that be a counselor, a parent or a therapist. It may seem like you can't do anything but try not to listen to them. They might not go away entirely but they will quiet down I promise. I deal with it also so I know how it is. But please don't kill yourself, i know its easier said then done but it will get better, just talk to people and try not to bottle it up. Find what makes you happy and hold onto that for dear life. Even if that's the only thing that makes you happy, its still something that makes you happy. Good luck I know you can do it!
Anonymous
You should go see a doctor and you should contact one of the listeners on 7cups. Were here to listen
rinkuandriku
Try to build confidence in yourself in whatever way you see fit. Ignore the voice in your head and take some time to appreciate yourself for who you are. You might also want to seek professional help if you have thoughts of suicide and/or if the voice interferes with your daisly life greatly.
BronaghJD
There is a milder aspect of this that poses no immediate threat, most of the time anyway, and then there is a reoccurring voice that really gets to you, no-matter if it is mild or harsh you should ALWAYS talk to your GP or a close relative or someone you trust about this. Nothing to do with voices in your head wishing you and others harm is normal x Even if you have no family members or close ones, I would very highly recommend going to a GP or even just walking into the nearest hospital and telling them. Until then, please fight the voices. You are stronger and more powerful than you think! I truly wish you the best xx
Anonymous
You need to see psychiatrist because this could be depression or schizophrenia, so you need to make sure
Anonymous
Find your nearest therapist or psychologist and seek help. You could be experiencing schizophrenia or just depression.
AsianDumpring
March 3rd, 2017 7:10pm
Find what shuts that voice up. Read a book, go for a run, do everything in your power to get that voice to stop. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life
Anonymous
First, please don't listen to that voice! Talk to someone on here, or at crisis text line (741741). If you are suicidal call the National Suicide Prevention Helpline (1-800-273-8255). If you are in danger of hurting yourself, please call 911. Regular therapy may be able to help you. Call 211 to be connected with resources in your community.
cuddlyJoy42
April 2nd, 2017 10:57am
Talk to a professional. Therapy is incredibly helpful, even if you think nobody can help you. The first step should be to tell someone that you trust.
Anonymous
Using your support system for these types of thoughts and feelings can have beneficial outcomes. A support system typically includes friends, family and partners. Share these thoughts with someone you can speak with out the matter. Another support system is a professional support,such as a therapist or counselor. This website has a link for finding professional help in your area. You do not need to go about this all alone, we have listeners here and they can provide resources for more long term aid. Please reach out to someone and do not face these types of thoughts alone.
Anonymous
You should probably go see a therapist. They are professionals who will be able to help. I'm not really allowed to give advice on this but know that the voice is wrong. You are loved and cherished and you should ignore the voice. Go to a therapist and get some help.
Convktion
I'd highly suggest you seek professional help. If you're hearing voices, find a psychologist, psychiatrist, or a therapist and speak to them.
Anonymous
You need to talk to someone about this because it could take a turn for the worse and begin to influence you. Talk to a family member and get an appointment with a psychiatrist/psychologist.
CaptCereal
We all have that little voice in our head that helps us make choices that are for the good, and thats what i should dot. But in some cases it does the opposite, and if someone is going through this this person has to look for help before this person, or someone else, gets hurt.
HeyImGwen
Remind yourself that you are important and that you matter. Do not listen to that voice! Call a suicide hotline if you need to, and there are plenty of text lines as well if you have trouble talking on the phone like I do. I have used these several times and they really do help. Everyone does not hate you. Even if you think everyone does, and that everyone is against you, I'm here for you any time :)
SearchiT
Hi! I'm not going to say that I'm sorry for you hearing that voice, 'cause I think it could be a great springboard to you. Even if the temptation might be to try at all costs to cover that voice, my advice is: play with it but with no arms, no harming; just truly listen. What is beyond that voice, when does it comes out? What feelings are connected to it? Aren't there any other voices? I bet there are. Remember though that if you often feel a sort of tension to do harm to yourself, the very thing you want to do is seek for someone who can help you with expertise. Wish you all the best for your journey
HattieMae
Recognize that the voice isn't real. And that you don't have to believe the negative thoughts that you have. Everyone deals with critical voices telling them things that aren't true. The trick is to recognize that those voices can't hurt us if we don't give them the power to do so. They may sound really intimidating, and we may fear them. But if you really study them, they can't actually make us do anything.
Talk to an expert therapist about social anxiety
Talk to a Therapist