3rd year of medical school and I feel so drained out - should I quit?

Jessica McDaniel, LPC, LCPC

I have been practicing cognitive behavioral psychotherapy since 2005 with a diverse group of clients, all ages, races, and socioeconomic classes.

Anonymous
I definitely cannot advise you on quitting or not, you should be convinced by your decision, whichever you choose. However, kudos for choosing one of the most difficult career and sticking to it for the last 3 years. This is very brave and shows how much strength and energy there is in you so far. Maybe it could be interesting for you to research why you are feeling so drained, you might be needing some medicine or help or some rest. You could also reach out to a specialist or even one of your teacher, they must have encounter some cases like yours in the past. Good Luck!
winterseb
Medical school is really hard, I personally don't know the full experience (I'm a Politics student), but I have many friends who study medicine. Of course, mental health is always #1. If you feel that medical school is making your life a misery, don't force yourself to go through it. However, it's also important to make sure that you've tried your best to make it work first. Maybe talk to someone and try to find the source of your struggles. Is it a particular module? Are you struggling on one particular topic? Can you not get your exam technique down? If it's one singular issue, you could always ask for help and work towards fixing it. However, if it's a more general issue that you won't be able to hurdle over without completely destroying your mental health, please don't take the risk. If you do feel like opting out is your best option, then before you do so, please make sure that you have a backup plan. Think about another subject you could take, or a job you could be happy in. If you can't come up with a plan B, then make sure that you have someone who can financially support you until you find a solution. The last thing you want to do is to walk out of one bad situation just to enter an entirely new one. The main thing is, do whatever you think will be best for your mental health while also making sure that you have plans in place to reduce your stress!