Should I let my professors know I've got anxiety?

Netherlands

Caroline Middelsdorf, MSc.

I am a warm hearted, patient, calm and open-minded therapist. I am here to dedicate my expertises to my clients and their individual challenges, thoughts and feelings.

RodneyGab
Yes. This will help your professors adjust their teaching styles and techniques that could help them teach better. They can offer flexible strategies for you and their students to learn even better.
MikkiWhistler
Instead of telling your professor, it might be more helpful to check out your school's medical services -- like my school they usually offer consellors and if you talk with them they can usually make accomodations for you like giving you extra time during exams. So yeah definitely definitely let someone know, they will help you out for sure.
nathdrash
Yes! I used to think it was embarrassing to let others know, but it's not. Anxiety could stop you from doing many things, and if your professors don't know about it they won't be able to help you. You'll feel much better after you let them know about your anxiety! (:
WolfGirlKari
Yes. I would meet with them or email them and explain it to them. It will make classes easier, and if you have presentations you may be able to discuss it with them and be able to figure out a way to go about the assignment in a way that doesn't set off your anxiety. Also, as a tip from a fellow student with Anxiety, Find a place even if it's in your dorm to relax after class for a bit before you go hang out with friends and relax for a bit before going to sleep at night. It'll help.
helloimanna
I think it depends, but I also think that it can really help you. Especially if your anxiety is interfering with your grades or class performance.
sillyllama
Yes but don't feel obligated. Professors don't need to know but it might help. If you're having a bad night anxiety-wise and weren't able to finish homework, they might be more lenient if they know you have anxiety ahead of time.
SunshineCeline
That would be a great idea. I know from experience that professors and teachers in general want the best for you, and you're probably not the first student with anxiety for them to encounter, and if you feel like it would help you to share it with them, I think you should.
sereneHoliday36
As a former Full Professor at a major university, I say absolutely YES! Most of your good professors will want to know and to help you. Accommodations can be made. You could talk to your favorite professor and discuss some of your anxieties. Perhaps they will give you some advice that will help you overcome your anxiety and nervousness. Believe me, they have seen anxious students in just about every class. You will be the bravest one because you're honest.
HopefulSprings
Letting your professor know you have anxiety can help you out because they will know that they have to treat you differently. Most colleges and universities also have a place on campus where you can register disabilities and anxiety counts as one. With that, they will send an email to the professors and say that someone in their class has anxiety. And they will also give you accommodations.
calmHemlock64
I don't know how the system at your college works but if you think it affects your work significantly you should inform your tutor or at least someone responsible for administration in your department so you can request for extended time and/or coursework extensions and may explain any sudden changes in performance.
Maude221
January 22nd, 2017 6:00pm
Yes, This will help your professors to understand what your feeling and they can adjust themselves to teach you better!
Laraland
March 3rd, 2017 10:17pm
When I wrote my thesis, I was very anxious about getting it right. I tended not to start stuff because I was afraid I couldn't finish it. I told my thesis supervisor about this, and together we came up with a way to divide the thesis into smaller, manageable parts. If you have a teacher who you think can help you find a way to make your college life more manageable, it's a good idea to ask them for help with specific things!
LetsThinkPositive
Absolutely! Every professor I have ever know has always been more than happy to help their students. In fact almost all of them love having the opportunity to give a little extra help. If you are feeling anxious they may be able to point you towards additional support and it will also help to form a more personal relationship with them if you need help again in the future.
Anonymous
its ur wish if u want them to know u should if u dont u should not see what help will it do like how them knowing abt ur anxiety will affect things
Anonymous
Absolutely. This way you can set boundaries with them and they won't keep trying to call you out or put you in even more stressful situations.
Anonymous
Yes you can But what important is you should overcome all this and anxiety and be a normal person As soon as you can