What’s the best way to study?

Cassandra Whitfield, LCSW

Social Worker

I work to help people reconnect with their inner strength and sense of hope by providing practical tools and support in a nonjudgmental and integrative approach.

IcedEthan
Personally, I find that the best way to study is to work on old exam papers. This way, you get a real feel and example of what your exam is going to be like. Once you’ve completed it, you can look up the mark scheme and mark it yourself to - This way, you’ll also see what’s best to get the most marks, and how to improve your work. Another great way of studying is to explain the subject to other people. This will help you get a clear understanding of a question and answer in your head, and will help you to realise areas where you may need to improve. The most important tips I can give, though, are to get regular sleep, give yourself breaks, drink plenty of water, and eat healthily - This will help keep your mental and physical health up so you have the bedt potential study time.
Raspberrycheesecake
There are many ways to study. Going through old exam papers can provide the type of questions would would face in your exam. Marking your past papers can also be a huge help as you can see how they would mark your exam. Doing revision with post it notes or a mind diagram can also help. It all depends on how you learn. Sometimes listening or watching videos of the topic you are studying on YouTube can help.
smauggg
It depends on the class. When I am studying math or any class that uses many formulas, I write them out and practice them over and over. If it is a class that is book based (like a textbook) I reread whatever chapters the class has gone over already. A good idea, if you have the time, is to read chapters, before class, that way you know or have an idea of what is going to be discussed, it will reinforce the material. For example, I am taking a class that goes over 4 chapters at a time, these chapters are what the test is on. So what I do is, about a week before the test, I read 1 chapter a day. Then the couple days before the test, I reread the summaries in the textbook and go over vocabulary from the chapters. If I took any notes, I review those as well. The key is to make sure you have enough time and take your time to sit and focus. THere is no single best way to study, you'll have to find a way that works best for you and what class you're in. Study groups can be very helpful. Rereading the material. Going over any notes you took from the class Repetition is very good, to help you remember the material. Seeing a tutor (if you're in college is usually free, part of tuition) )or talking to the teacher/professor is also good if you are struggling to understand any material.
hangingoutdownthestreet
Thomas Frank has some excellent youtube videos on all types of studying and general help with college!
Anonymous
Turn Off Your Mobile Avoid Social Media Study Smart instead of Study Hard Make a time table and follow strictly
Anonymous
There isn't any good or bad ways of studying because everyone has different studying strategies, but usually what we want is how you can acquire knowledge and use them in the shortest time. So like for me, the most effective way of studying is to listen what the teachers said and try to understand and digest all of them before the lessons end, so that when you are revising it for your exams, it will be easier for you as you can recall what the teachers had said in the lessons and this can also shorten your time for revising.
Anonymous
Depending on the type of learning style you tend to go with as this can be different for everyone. But the candy method on textbooks can help with reading, flashcards are extremely helpful, just being SUPER repetitive in your study, getting a study group together etc. All these help!
Anonymous
Keep you phone aside. Drink lot of water while studying. Sit in distraction free room after having a proper sleep.