What’s the best way to study?

What’s the best way to study?
Australia

Raifiel Cyril, Masters in Applied Psychology

Everyone needs a little support from time to time to take the next step. I am here to listen and help you achieve what your heart desires.

IcedEthan
Personally, I find that the best way to study is to work on old exam papers. This way, you get a real feel and example of what your exam is going to be like. Once you’ve completed it, you can look up the mark scheme and mark it yourself to - This way, you’ll also see what’s best to get the most marks, and how to improve your work. Another great way of studying is to explain the subject to other people. This will help you get a clear understanding of a question and answer in your head, and will help you to realise areas where you may need to improve. The most important tips I can give, though, are to get regular sleep, give yourself breaks, drink plenty of water, and eat healthily - This will help keep your mental and physical health up so you have the bedt potential study time.
smauggg
It depends on the class. When I am studying math or any class that uses many formulas, I write them out and practice them over and over. If it is a class that is book based (like a textbook) I reread whatever chapters the class has gone over already. A good idea, if you have the time, is to read chapters, before class, that way you know or have an idea of what is going to be discussed, it will reinforce the material. For example, I am taking a class that goes over 4 chapters at a time, these chapters are what the test is on. So what I do is, about a week before the test, I read 1 chapter a day. Then the couple days before the test, I reread the summaries in the textbook and go over vocabulary from the chapters. If I took any notes, I review those as well. The key is to make sure you have enough time and take your time to sit and focus. THere is no single best way to study, you'll have to find a way that works best for you and what class you're in. Study groups can be very helpful. Rereading the material. Going over any notes you took from the class Repetition is very good, to help you remember the material. Seeing a tutor (if you're in college is usually free, part of tuition) )or talking to the teacher/professor is also good if you are struggling to understand any material.
hangingoutdownthestreet
Thomas Frank has some excellent youtube videos on all types of studying and general help with college!
Anonymous
There isn't any good or bad ways of studying because everyone has different studying strategies, but usually what we want is how you can acquire knowledge and use them in the shortest time. So like for me, the most effective way of studying is to listen what the teachers said and try to understand and digest all of them before the lessons end, so that when you are revising it for your exams, it will be easier for you as you can recall what the teachers had said in the lessons and this can also shorten your time for revising.
Raspberrycheesecake
There are many ways to study. Going through old exam papers can provide the type of questions would would face in your exam. Marking your past papers can also be a huge help as you can see how they would mark your exam. Doing revision with post it notes or a mind diagram can also help. It all depends on how you learn. Sometimes listening or watching videos of the topic you are studying on YouTube can help.
lovelyHope20
According to developmental psychologist Howard Gardener, there are 9 basic forms of intelligence. That was his initial theory. I think he found up till 20 different kinds so far. Every type of intelligence requires a different way of studying in order to use this intelligence. All those different types of intelligence are connected to different brains. Every type of brain also uses different ways to gather and store information. What I am trying to say is that whatever works well for your friend may not work for you. You have to get to know your own brain and what it contains. That is tho only way that you will find out what way suits you best. However, there are a couple of guidelines that apply to everyone when it comes to studying. first, do not give up quickly, but also allow yourself to rest and take breaks. second, if you cannot explain it to someone else, you do not understand it yourself. this is a good way to test yourself. Third, no one remembers stuff the first time perfectly. repeat stuff and repeat it in different ways to make sure you don't get bored or block stuff out. Fouth, no one has the motivation to study if you don't find it interesting. find a way to make the topic or at least the studying interesting. pretend you are the teacher and you have to teach, pretend you are giving a speech, pretend you are in a competition and you are winning. Do whatever you have to do to engage yourself with what you are learning. It will make a big difference in how long you can keep going and how well your brain picks it up. Lastly, know when to stop. Everyone has a limit and your brain needs time to process information. It can do that when you rest and sleep. allnighters might seem like dedication but in fact, you are beating up your brain and depriving it of everything it needs to function properly. Do not do that to yourself! Plan ahead and make sure you have enough time and stop when you need to. It will be okay. Take care of yourself. Grades are not everything. You will be okay.
Anonymous
Turn Off Your Mobile Avoid Social Media Study Smart instead of Study Hard Make a time table and follow strictly
Anonymous
Depending on the type of learning style you tend to go with as this can be different for everyone. But the candy method on textbooks can help with reading, flashcards are extremely helpful, just being SUPER repetitive in your study, getting a study group together etc. All these help!
Anonymous
Keep you phone aside. Drink lot of water while studying. Sit in distraction free room after having a proper sleep.
AddictedTealover98
It depends on the personal preference. Some like to go through old exam papers since there's a high chance of repeated questions done in the following exams. Others like to take notes and pay attention to class, absorbing the lecture and interpret them into a simpler way of understanding the topic personally. For extras some would also even search videos or any articles relating to the topic for better understanding of the subject. But even with all these methods, personal health is still the most important because it might effect the efficiency of your memory processing of the subject, like being too tired and couldn't continue, being sick, etc. Take care of yourself and it's up to personal preference of what you think is best way to study :)
Anonymous
Studying works different depending on the individual and how they learn. You can have different learning styles for example being Kinesthetic so hands on learning vs auditory and visual learners. I know for me I am a Visual learner so when I am studying I try to use graphs, charts and diagrams so that I am able to visualize the material that I learned in class. I find that when studying having a quiet space can be very helpful. For Auditory learners it could be helpful to record yourself saying what you need to learn so that you can play it back and listen to what you need to learn. The benefit to this way of studying is that you are able to put in headphones and listen to it while you for example bus to school. Another way to study is writing what you need to study over and over again so that you can memorize it in that way, this is all dependent on how you learn.
Anonymous
Everyone has their own way and technique on how to study and how to remember what you have studied. Trying a few methods till you find a method that suits you will be a good idea. For an example: Maybe you learn better when there are colors or pictures. Then you can either highlight the things you need to remember with colors or picture to make you understand better. Just remember trying is not wrong and you only fail when u give up.