Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Should I go to the hospital for unhealthy eating habits?

118 Answers
Last Updated: 02/19/2022 at 7:44pm
Should I go to the hospital for unhealthy eating habits?
1 Tip to Feel Better
United States
Moderated by

Jill Kapil, PsyD


I have over 9 years of clinical experience, specialize in anxiety, and am passionate about my work. My approach is collaborative, empathic, supportive, and goal-oriented.

Top Rated Answers
October 2nd, 2016 7:17pm
Of course you should actually you MUST. If your illness goes worst, your life will ruin. I can understand what you went through and you have some help in your life, a help from doctors not help from your brain which filled with dangerous thoughts. Remember you're not alone.
October 7th, 2016 4:17pm
A hospital can be a great place to get help but it is not the only option out there. if you feel that you have an eating disorder, it could be a very good place to go to but if your main problem is you are having a hard time making the switch between healthy and unhealthy habits, maybe a therapist and a nutritionist can be just as helpful.
October 13th, 2016 9:15am
yes definitely. unhealthy eating is an issue that people usually underestimate. it can cause impact to a person life direct and indirectly.
October 22nd, 2016 4:50pm
No. Instead, try consulting with a registered dietitian to help you get on the right track. You can get a referral from your doctor, or schedule on your own time.
November 11th, 2016 3:03pm
This is a very interesting question, and it could have a few different answers. In terms of "unhealthy eating habits", what exactly are we talking about? If you're someone who likes to eat a little bit too much and is a little overweight, there is no reason to necessarily go to the hospital, although as a health and fitness enthusiast I can tell you eventually you will be doing harm to your body by being overweight. In the same way, if you're someone who tries to eat less than they should because you feel you are overweight, this isn't necessarily a bad thing either. A calorie deficit will definitely cause weight loss; however, when taken to extremes, a heavy calorie deficit will certainly cause negative effects on your body due to the lack of nutrients your body receives. I think the key phrase here is "everything in moderation". If you are significantly overweight or significantly underweight and you suspect you are having physical and/or mental problems due to either of these things, seeing your primary care physician would be the first step. A hospital is for more immediate problems where people need care quickly, and an unhealthy eating habit is negative for your body over a longer period of time, and usually doesn't cause immediate complications.
December 1st, 2016 3:48pm
I would go first to your family care dr and tell him or her what the unhealthy eating habits are and what you are concerned about. He or She then can refer you to a nutritionist or dietion or maybe a hospital for help
December 9th, 2016 12:32am
if you are struggling with an eating disorder or disordered eating, you should seek help. if you are more comfortable, you can research and eating disorder clinic which can diagnose you and treat you correctly. it is best to treat eating disorders early before they get worse.
February 4th, 2017 9:50pm
Going to the hospital for unhealthy eating habits can be a good idea. It can also be helpful to see a nutritionist or someone trained to help with eating habits.
February 15th, 2017 8:28pm
You most definitely should! They will be able to answer all your questions, guide you in the most correct way and tell you what your mistakes are. The tracks they will put you in will also be healthier ways to attain desired results and decrease your chances of getting sick due to bad eating habits.
February 16th, 2017 8:23am
If you feel your unhealthy eating habits are getting out of control, I think that you should see a specialist doctor
March 8th, 2017 2:50am
This depends on your definition of "unhealthy eating" habits. Are you meaning junk food? Fried foods? Or do you mean not eating at all? This would be starvation and the resulting outcome would be anorexia and/or bulimia and therefore would require specific counseling.
March 15th, 2017 7:55pm
Yes, if you have unhealthy eating habit that could cause serious health problems. Consult a medical professional immediately to help you get to a healthy place. Also find someone supportive to talk to (whether it's a counselor or a friend)
May 11th, 2017 1:57am
Would you feel comfortable doing so? That's what seems more important to me. Yes, help is very important, and you should seek it if you think your eating habits are becoming a problem. But what matters the most is how you feel more helped and where you would like to reach for said help. From a hospital, a therapist or maybe just a family member or friend. If you feel it's a problem, or something you don't like, then it's totally worth and valid asking for help.
June 4th, 2017 11:37pm
Some hospitals have different offers of nutrition counseling and sometimes even nutrition therapy, but often you can find these consultants having small practices where you can just show up and talk to them and get to know their point of view. If you struggle with eating because of your way of thinking it can really help to go and see a therapist!
July 20th, 2017 11:03pm
Depending on how severe the eating habits are. If you constantly eat all the time maybe try asking a friend or family member to keep you accountable. Ask them to make sure you aren't eating too much. Eating too much can be bad for your body and you may have to go to the hospital. You usually don't have to go to the hospital unless your eating habits are very bad.
August 9th, 2017 2:36pm
I don't think it needs a hospital but if you think it is very urgent you can go to the hospital and explain to the hospital in full details
August 17th, 2017 2:56am
If you feel you really need to. Do you mean like not eating properly, like making yourself throw up or overeating until that point, just overeating, being underweight or overweight, then you may do so if you need. But if you mean like you eat fried, greasy foods, or you eat processed foods a lot, no nutrient foods, etc... You may just change your diet if that's the case unless you would like someone who can help you out in that area like a dietician or nutritionist. Its very much up to you.
September 1st, 2017 2:05pm
Hi! I believe you can go to the hospital if you want to check first your overall health and have yourself tested for any possible sicknesses. If your hospital offers dietary consulation services, then you can check that out. Eating habits are normally the result of choosing the right foods, but if you believe that the cause of you eating unhealthily comes from a psychological trauma, then you can also schedule an appointment.
September 14th, 2017 4:53am
It depends. If your eating habits are getting out of control - then yes, see a doctor. If you think you can control it, a therapist might be a good option as well.
October 14th, 2017 7:13pm
It's great that you recognize you may have unhealthy eating habits, and I would definitely recommend going to a therapist, doctor, or nutritionist. It's extremely important to put nutritious, wholesome foods into our bodies to live our best life and the easiest way to do that is by building a diet that is sustainable and reasonable. It's completely normal to need help along the way!
November 10th, 2017 12:10pm
no you dont need a professional help.u can do it yourself i guess or you can ask someones close help..goodluck
December 9th, 2017 2:08pm
Depends. If it's something that is effecting your life for a long time, you feel sick after every time you eat (any type of food) or had food poisoning, you may be admitted to the hospital under direct supervision. If you only feel a discomfort or deal with constipation after consuming food, make sure you revaluate your diet patterns (food to have and those which better to be avoided).
January 4th, 2018 2:18am
I would advice going to your GP OR calling 111 before going to the hospital about your concern. They will listen to you and decide what the best course of action is.
January 14th, 2018 11:39pm
It's up to you depending on how serious your case is. I would go to a doctor to talk to them about it and see what they think is best for you.
January 19th, 2018 8:18am
Talk to someone you trust, arrange to consult with a GP and gain a referral from a professional for advice and help to overcome this. In cases of emergency, please go to the hospital if you require it.
January 24th, 2018 8:55pm
Yes please do, as someone who has suffered from an eating disorder, you don't get better on your own. It may be scary but you should get help before you've suffered for so long that your disorder consumes you. Get help before it is too late
February 4th, 2018 12:19am
I believe that you should seek help for anything you feel like you need guidance in, anything that is troubling you at all. Never fear seeking more support! If you are considering, perhaps it is your answer.
February 15th, 2018 9:12pm
If by unhealthy eating habits, you are referring to a diet of mostly processed and high fat/high sugar foods you should set goals to personally change your eating habits. That would not require a trip to the hospital unless you are having a heart attack as a result of your diet. If you're referring to unhealth eating habits in the sense of an eating disorder, you should go to the hospital if you feel extremely unwell. Otherwise, you should visit your primary care doctor and a psychiatrist to help with your problem.
February 23rd, 2018 11:50pm
Sometimes yes. If you are purposefully making yourself not eat or eat a ton or think there is a health concern, you should go to a hospital or clinic. In my experience, my eating disorder started small but grew. If you believe that it could be dangerous or hurting you, then yes.
February 28th, 2018 6:42am
I don't believe a hospital is necessary. Perhaps a therapist. Or go to a group meeting for eating disorders.