How do I tell my boss I'm leaving? (nicely)?

Cassandra Coleman-Heppler, LCSW, LICSW

I believe that problems are separate from the person having them and that our own stories and how we look at our own stories directly influences how we perceive those problems

wonderfulEyes78
It would be best to write them a letter and also let them know how much you appreciate them and working there but you have to do what's best for you and leave.
Anonymous
Bake them a cake that says "I quit" OR "Sorry for your loss (it's me, I quit") That way, they get cake.
ReassuringRey
First off, I'm so proud of you for thinking about how to approach your boss in this type of situation. It can be hard to explain this choice nicely and effectively and for you to stop and think about how to do it is truly something to be proud of. What I would encourage is for you to make a list on the reasons why you're leaving and go from there. Maybe it's for mental health reasons, pay, other commitments, etc., but telling your boss these reasons in an appropriate, calm, matter-of-fact manner can help you organize your thoughts, give clear reasoning on your departure, and show that you truly thought through how to approach this situation and that you still cared about the job you're working for.
vroomvrooom
An ex boss once told me "don't burn bridges mate" and I regret doing that. You never know how and where you will require the help of an ex boss. Coming to the question, you can share your enthusiasm and how much you have loved working in this place and under him. However, growth/ remuneration/ other is not as i would have liked to be and hence would like to explore better options. Basically, show gratitude to your current work and your manager and leave with a positive note. I believe this should ensure that you leave with smiles around :).
Hereforyoualways96
I would just thank them for the opportunity. I was honored to be part of your team. There are just other avenues I feel I want to pursue in my life. And I wish you continued success in the future. Thank you again for the opportunity I appreciate it. Short and sweet, I've always just gotten straight to the point. Thank them for the opportunity wish them continued success and went on my Merry way. No use in dragging it out and making it awkward. If you didn't like the job there's no need to criticize it, unless you're asked ways you think the job could be improved.
uniqueEars20
Tell them in a polite way that i am feeling professionaly challenged an i could not handle it more it is making me feel bad about my work so i need to quit
MoonChild17
Tell him that working with him had such an amazing impact on you and you've learned a lot from this job and gained a proper amount of experience but you got a very nice opportunity that you think it's much better for you so you have to go get it, he will appreciate it and will let you go wishing the best for you.
GoLobster
Simply say "Hey, I wish to write my resignation letter to leave". This indicates you are leaving your position of your job, be sure to try to be professional and supportive (NOTE: always give two weeks notice!)
Oniichan
June 2nd, 2016 10:22am
You should just thank them for all the time that you've been there with them, and assure them it's not a personal issue but you just felt the need to move forward with your life, and in order to do that you have to pursue other opportunities. I'm sure they'll understand!
lifewarrior19
tell him that he is nice boss and everything , compliment him on how great boss he is (even if he is not) maybe it will help you find a better new job , and try to be gentle and calm , and confident as well !
InfiniteSelf
Honesty is the best way to leave any relationship, professional or personal. Authenticity of self is all you can give and ask for.
IoanaAdriana
If it were me this is what I would probably do: Start by making sure that the choice of leaving is the right one for me at that exact moment. Relax, take a deep breath and smile, talk to him about the positive sides of working there - the experience and knowledge I gained while working in that company, the people I worked with, the birthday parties etc. - and say I feel it's time for a change in my career. If the reason for my leaving is not quite a positive one and I'm unhappy at your workplace, unless there's the case of abuse or harassment of any sort, again I'd start with the positive side, followed by what makes me unhappy, but without getting angry or losing my temper and keep the conversation withing the business boundaries.
KristenHR
In my opinion, what I would say depends on why I'm leaving. I might share that I've found another position that is closer to home or offers more benefits and salary. While I've enjoyed working here, I really need this other position. Maybe I'm upset with the position I'm in. I have a couple options - talk it out to see if the problems can be addressed, but sometimes that isn't possible. To be respectful I might be very general in my resignation. I always write a resignation out so I can show what was said. Perhaps write that I've been offered another position and it's in my best interest to take it. Two weeks today will be my last day. Thank you There are so many reasons for leaving - moving, personal issues, medical issues, etc. These are just some thoughts.
ItsTheSheppy
Be honest with them! Treat them with respect and clearly explain your reasoning. All anyone truly wants is to be respected and to be spoken to like they're an adult. Frame your feelings clearly, couch them in honest, direct language, and leave emotionally hang-ups at the door. Your supervisor likely likes to think of him or herself as a professional, so treating them like one will make things go much easier.
Dazzle28purvi
June 22nd, 2016 5:09am
You might want to sit down, have a little friendly chat and then come to the point of why you wanted to have this conversation, letting him clearly know you used this way to tell him something important. You can be truthful about it, you don't need to have any ego. Let him then know what is in your mind. Be as polite as possible and bring in your personality to this! You don't have to show your working side anymore!
AutumnLeigh
Request a 1 on 1 meeting with your boss. Then tell him/her that you appreciate how you've learned and grown under his/her direction. Say that you are sorry, but for 'XXX' reason, you need to leave the company. Finish by saying that you are very grateful for the experience working for him/her has given you and that you hope he/she will recommend you in your future employment endeavors.
Flawlessinsanity21
Leaving, as in quitting? Well, very nicely would be to write a letter of resignation (usually a 2 week notice) and hand it to him. Just tell him that you are resigning because _____ and ______ and it was a pleasure to work with him and the company for the time you were there.
Passionflow
Just be as normal by sharing the real reason behind you going for an external option.You might want to avoid saying that this company is not a good option fr you though.Avoid hurting his ego
Ballard
My own experience was to tell my boss the reason I was leaving. She was angry at first but promised to hear me out nonetheless: it was then easier for her to let me go knowing I had this all figured out.
GoldenJoy47
Many of us had to face the situation of letting your Boss know you are leaving. However, when we want to keep the relationship going or just want to do it in a nice way,We tend to stumble upon our own tounges. So in order to tell your Boss you are leaving and do it nicely,: 1) Write down keypoints for the conversation 2) Make an appointment 3) Be assertive, compliment your boss on his support over time, praise the workplace and tell them you are leaving with heavy heart. 4) Avoid apologizing and go strait to the point 5) Leave good impression- perform your duties the best you can before leaving- you will be remembered by your actions good luck.
Redr
Well, in most cases what 'needs' to happen on your leaving employment is writing up a letter; this can provide a great basis for a personally crafted 'thank you' for the time you've spend there and opportunities you've had.. Make it obvious that it's you intention to leave but be nice about it; A letter provides the perfect means of saying exactly what's on your mind whilst remaining professional.
mayodibari9
Start by thanking your boss for all the things you learned and for his/her support and patience. Tell the truth and try to leave open doors. You never know when paths are going to intersect later in life.
SweetSoul26
Sir It was very wonderful experience working with your firm. It gave me an immense pleasure learning many things while working. In this regard, it is very hardest thing to convey you that I must leave my present position. Due to practical approaches and challenging working conditions I got here, I am sustainable and discovered my potentiality, as I am establishing a new business firm on my self. Whatever the courage I got to make on my new business has possessed by working with your firm. There is no doubt that you and your firm made me what I am today. Thank you once again for awakening a giant in me, and kindly accept my resignation. Your's politely , XXX
Oreo
It's usually protocol to give about two weeks notice of your resignation before you actually leave your job. That way your employer has time to look for a replacement or get your final paycheck together. It might help to give them the reason for your resignation (they'd probably understand if you had a better job offer or if you were moving away), that way it wouldn't be a mystery why they're losing an employee. At all times, remember that your boss can also be a reference; a future potential employer can ask you for their contact details or for a letter from them about your competence as a worker. As tempting as it might be for some people, airing out your bad feelings towards them or your co-workers should be avoided, because it might make you seem unappreciative or rude. Good luck!
SaturnineSG
I was a wreck for days before tendering my resignation due to workplace politics and general anxiety. I went around asking seniors who have had experience in resigning from different workplaces and even did a role-play with my counselor. Rehearsals would help with calming some of the nerves which come with such an announcement. I started off by thanking my boss for the opportunities and learning experiences gained at this job. Then I said unfortunately, I have decided to tender my resignation for health reasons. Without giving away too much details, I elaborated slightly by saying that my health has deteriorated over the past months (which is true) and I would like to seek treatment and recuperate. I also mentioned I would assist in the transition process as much I could for my replacement. No matter what kind of person your boss is, they cannot dispute health reasons or force you to stay on longer.
ComfortingForest
August 3rd, 2016 12:12am
Its good to be upfront but polite about your intentions. There is no need to beat around the bush. Be direct and but show respect since they are still your boss. If you show respect, even when you are leaving, they will more then likely show respect to you to.
Anonymous
You can tell him and talk to hm about the situation and actively listen to what he says.. Provide reason for doing so and not beat around the bush.. :)
superpoppy14
Be honest and open. They cannot be annoyed or angry, because you have a full right to leave whenever you'd like. Tell them your reason for leaving, and try to make nice comments about how you've enjoyed working for them, but don't lie. Honesty really is the best policy.
DoodleGuitar94
You can see you are looking for other work experiences, to try out new things. Something in the line of this
Supergirl94
Turn in a professionally written letter of reassignment and politely let them know what the letter is when you hand it to them and your last day there.