How do I tell my boss I'm leaving? (nicely)?

Cassandra Coleman-Heppler, LCSW, LICSW

I believe that problems are separate from the person having them and that our own stories and how we look at our own stories directly influences how we perceive those problems

Talkitout3
Thank them for the opportunities you have had with the company but firmly let them know that you need to seek out new learnings and adventures
courageousPower16
March 3rd, 2017 3:53am
You can google some templates that help you figure out how to word it in a professional manner. E-mail is always helpful, but if you have to say it in person, write a script for yourself based on research, practice, and there you go. Just remember to remain professional and even if they were awful, thank them for the opportunity they gave you.
SelfcareHillary
By wording it in a way that is grateful. "Thank you for this opportunity, I'ver really grown since working here. That's why I regret to inform you that I will be leaving in two weeks" Reflecting back to your time at the job and how this change will positively impact your future.
Anonymous
Explain your reasons for leaving and what you will do next and if its not personal towards him tell him so and that you have decided to leave because.... The best way is straight out with it
niceRainbows39
Say that you want to leave your job, and tell why. Say, it is not because I don't enjoy being here it is because (Whatever the reason is). Make sure you act kindly, and don't be rude in any way, or else your boss will get angry with you.
colorfulUnicorn23
According to me the best answer for this would be , I am planning to move ahead on a path of personal growth and going forward in my career with the satisfaction of having given my best and feel that there is nothing more that i can do that would lead lead to a meaningful growth of the company so i look forward to a personal growth path and leaving my space empty for another person to take my place and contribute forward to the company
damselinthisdress
Explain to them in details why you need to quit and try to sound as grateful as you can. As if you are really regretting the fact that you have to leave and you are extremely grateful to them for giving you the opportunity to work with them. Throw in sorry's and thank you's as much as you can. :)
Anonymous
Stary by thanking him/her for giving you the opportunity to work with them it was an honour and a great experience for you. Tell him/her that you think this the right time for you resign due to personal reasons.
merryschmetterling
Just tell your boss that you are thankful for the time you spent at the company and you are grateful for all they have done, but you have just found a new opportunity that you want to take advantage of.
Anonymous
If you have the same sense of humor I do, Then go to your local grocery store or bakery, buy a cake and have the baker write "I Quit." in very lovely letters. Bonus points if the cake has flowers or ballons and the writing is in cursive. Present the cake to your boss but also other employees. Have a conversation with your boss also to tell him that you have enjoyed your time at the company, but it is time for you to move forward with your life goals. Tell him that you appreciate being able to work for the company and you hope your paths cross again in the future. Try not to burn this bridge in case you need to use this boss as a (positive) professional reference. Also give at least a 2 week notice so that your boss has time to find a replacement.
Anonymous
Can you explain that you've enjoyed working there (if you have) and that it's been wonderful for you to get that experience but now you've found a new opportunity, you want to go in a different direction, etc. He/she should understand.
tent542
It is something called the sandwich method, the first you do is your introduction. it is always better to build a positive note. Tell your boss the good thing that you have gained in the company: personal growth, the people, culture, etc. Be truthful. Then, discuss why you have decided to leave the company. Be specific, non-attacking, focus on what you want to happen in your life, career, your future plans that it seems that staying with company will not give you anymore. Finish the conversation, once again with gratitude (even how minuscule). Inform your boss as well on how you will be professional enough not to leave any project of task or task hanging. Remember they are the people your new job might call ask feedback about you. Don't burn those bridges...just yet.
Anonymous
We'll be nice about it. It will be a lot to him because he'll be losing a good worker. He'll be shocked and even sad ag the news to don't rush it Explain it as best as you can. Examples: "Hey Boss I really love this job and I really think your a good boss but I think that maybe I should find another boss to maybe support my growing family" An BAD example would be "Boss I never liked this job I want a better one. One that will pay me more. So I'm leaving goodbye!"
Anonymous
Arrange a meeting privately, and explain that you want to leave - depending on your contract, you may have to continue working after handing in your notice, so make sure you stay on good terms! Also, references are useful in getting a new job, so thank your boss for their time, and remain civil.
Anonymous
I recently just resigned from a job. Write up your notice thanking them for the opportunity to work there, but explain that you're now pursuing a new position. You are not actually required to give your reason for leaving, but as long as you hand in a short, professional letter of resignation you'll be golden! Best wishes!
Theactivetherapist
I think this is a great job but it's not meant for me. I would want to look for something I love doing.
AliceCares96
October 22nd, 2017 12:39am
Put in your two weeks, if you don’t feel comfortable you can leave it in writing beings that you have to write it down anyways.
KenziiShy
I would be as professional as possible. I wouldn't worry about hurting anyone feelings. You're doing this for yourself not for your boss. If it was for your boss then you would stay and follow them. But you're doing this for you. Make yourself a resignation letter and have a plan. Tell them honestly why you are leaving and be sure to keep your emotions out of it.
Arkelight
A resignation letter. You'll have the time to word your letter carefully, it'll appear professional and you'll avoid any unwanted awkwardness.
2ears4u
You can use the "sandwich strategy"(™) ;) : -Start by saying something positive and soft (bread) -Express you are leaving (stuffing) -Conclude by saying something positive and soft again (bread) For example: "I've felt really supported in this company during my stay working here. The team is great and I really appreciate everything I've learn here (bread). Now I find out it's time for me to start a new proyect (stuffing). So I would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given me to learn and grow in this environment. I will always remember my time in this company with gratitude. Assertiveness is the key! :)
dreamBreeze18
I tell them to enjoy the rest of night/day and that I’ll see them the next time I see them. It should be simple.
allnaturalUnicorns70
Being direct, quick and professional is the best way to communicate any bad news to anyone. Thanking him/her for the opportunity and for what you gained from it is helpful in keeping positive relations afterwards.
SilverisSarah
There are no recipes. But you can state all the good things you have gone through on this position/workplace and thank him for the opportuniy, but now you need to seek another challenge that comprehends going to a new scenario.
brlann
Tom, do you mind if I speak with you for a moment ? Tom, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately as well as talking with my wife and family, and I think it's time for me to make a career change. I certainly have enjoyed and appreciated the opportunity that the company has given me and I will be forever grateful to you.
Amie1992
Write a professional letter to your employer stating you're leaving, the reason why and thanking your employer for the opportunity for working with them.
Anonymous
A letter or face to face talk shows respect and dignity. And addressing him calmly will help. If you are nervous then simply breathing before the meeting can soothe a few nerves.
originalMusic45
Assuming it's an amicable leaving, I tell the boss how much the opportunity has meant to me, how much I've learned, and how valuable the experience has been. I've been offered a new opportunity which I'm looking forward to pursuing, and though I will be sad to leave this situation, will always look back on this time with fondness and gratitude.
Anonymous
First of all, make sure you give the required notice. Typically 2 weeks. Then meet up with your boss and tell them that you're leaving, tell them why, and lastly tell them something you enjoyed while working for them. You never know when you will meet them again.
eternalKitty45
Tell your boss that you found another opportunity, you are moving, or you just need time to spend with your family more.
MandeeS
February 1st, 2018 5:29pm
I often find myself in tears thinking of this! Leaving a job and actually talking to your manager about it makes it even more of a stressful process! But stay calm, write out what you want to say, practice it, and do it! Tell them you appreciate the opportunity of working for their company but you must move on to other things