I am worried about losing my job, what can I do?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW, LICSW

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

RumpleSteeleSkin
I am sorry to hear that you might be losing your job. Maybe when you have the time and your boss does, both of you can sit down and you can share how you are feeling and thinking. Then you can get clear answers from your boss and you will worry less or none at all. I do hope the best for you.
blissfulApricot
Prepare your safety nets. That could be applying for other jobs, doing some evening training to widen your skillset, or attending meetups to build your professional network. Reach out to people you know in your industry and see what else is out there and mention that you might be looking at new opportunities if they come up. Most importantly talk to your line manager and let them know this is a concern and ask for their advice. All angles combined allow you to take control and manage the stressful situation.
AnnaB1
March 22nd, 2018 6:27pm
Make sure that there is always backup. Do a bit of research see what may be available for you. But keep working hard at your current job - that is very important!
Gimel
Imagine the worst-case scenario. What would be your options? Do you have friends or family who would support you for a time? Would it be possible to get an unemployment support for a couple of months? What sources would you use to seek a new job successfully? Try and prepare some of the back doors and write down your options. If the situation escalates, you will already have some steps made to better transition through a difficult time. This, at the same time, gives you the necessary peace of mind at your current position.
Rubyzoisite
You can help minimize your feelings of being worried by going to your job on time, keeping your phone off of you and off the floor when you are working, being respectful to customers and your coworkers and managers, giving adequate warning when you need time off. You can't control what your employers choose to do but you can control what you do and if you are consistently a good worker your feelings about being worried about losing your job will reduce
Anonymous
I think you should go and talk to your boss and ask him/her how you can improve in the job you are doing. Get feedbacka nd work on it. :)
Anonymous
It would depend on the reason why you think you are in the situation where you could loose your job. I've noticed that when it comes to people with anxiety especially, that it's difficult to communicate with your superiors about what you've completed. There are times where you will receive no recognition for your efforts just because you failed to point them out to someone important like your supervisor or even boss. So, the next time you complete something worthy of recognition, even if it has to be in a not so direct way, make sure you mention it to someone worth mentioning it to.
caringBerry61
Stop thinking of losing your job because unintentionally you will start thinking and doing things that will bring you closer and closer to that possibility. Eventually, the possibility to lose will arise for sure.
Anonymous
Just think postive and dont let your fear eat you. It will not do anything good to you. Believe you can and you will :)
FrothyFlamingo63
The best way I have found, is to have a back up offer on the table. Start looking for other possibilities, and have then on standby just in case. Or if there is something happening with my job performance, I would then do everything within my power to completely turn my performance to a positive instead of a negative. Then I would speak to my supervisor, to see what could improve. Or if there is another way to save my job, can I help myself. The supervisor can then make suggestions, and then I can turn around. I find conversation is always the answer.
Anonymous
Well you first should figure out what is causing the problems that your thinking your going to loose your job. After that is done then you focus on yourself and think that did you cause any of this to happen on your end that you might end up loosing your job. If anything happen after thinking about yourself and you feel like your honest with yourself then you need to take the next steps and talk to the boss and see if he can help you understand what the issues are that you might be loosing your job. That is the way ways I think that you take this approach for yourself here.
SimonHauser
Talk to your family about it, and talk to your boss! Maybe start looking for new jobs. You could also try and relax by, going for a run or walk, doing volunteer work. I hope this is doing you some good. We try to offer the best advice possible. Share 7cups to a friend or maybe even family. Post about us on your socials! People are going through a lot and might wanna talk. We want to help people feel like they have a safe place to go to in a time of need! This is Simon Hauser here to help!
Skybringslight
First of all, I want to recognize this fear as completely valid. In our society, your well-being has a price tag, and that puts stress on every aspect of your health. The feelings you are having are very real, and very scary. However, you must remember that this situation is temporary. Begin looking for other jobs. Staying afloat is a matter of making sure your basic neccessities are met. Food, water, shelter are the first things to check off on your list. Look for a new job everyday. Create a resume at your local library, and walk into any store/business that you are interested in. Ask if they are hiring and hand them your resume. If you do this 100 times, someone will say yes. You can do this.
katherine081902
I am sorry you are going through this! First of all, self evaluate and ask yourself if there is a reason you would lose your job. If it is because your employers have to lower the number of employees due to money then that is out of your control. Make sure you aren't giving your boss a reason to fire you, ask yourself if you are doing your work and getting enough hours in. Sometimes a simple attitude change could sway your boss from letting you go to letting someone else go. Make sure you are positive and happy to do your work everyday. If the situation is out of your control, then get your feelers out there for possible openings just in case, but if you can change something to sway that decision then try your best! I hope this helps. :)
Anonymous
There is a great many things you can do. First you have to assess if the genuine possibility exists. If so, next question is to figure out if there is way to change this outcome? If there is, is the way liveable? If so, then I think personal plans can flow relatively easily. Now if there isn't a way or ther is way to avoid the outcome, but the way is not liveable, then it's time to start looking at alternatives. You can see this window before the loss of your job as a gift of time, that you wouldn't have if you waited it out and were forced to scramble. Alternatively, you can also contemplate how to make the worst case scenario bearable, in order to keep a bit of dignity and emotional strength. If you are at the point where there really isn't time anymore, take an hour and make a schedule of how to maximize your scramble. And since scrambling is stressful and anxiety provoking, plan in little moments of time to unwind and ground yourself. Your stamina, might be important. Depleting your resources won't lend to a good outcome.
FancyNoodles
I've been attending this career fellowship program and one thing they keep urging us about is showing our interest in the organization. Try to show that you are a really enthusiastic to work with them (your boss/peers). Or you are really excited about that project they assigned you. That way they will see a growing potential in you. You need to convince them that you love your job and that you are having fun doing what they assign you. They will feel much more safer with assigning you their tasks. Show a positive and cheerful behaviour. "Be interested than being interesting".
beautifuldreamer27
If you are worried about losing your job, write down the reasons why you think this, and consider each reason individually. Try and think about the positives and negatives of the job as well. Are you the right fit? Does it make you feel happy? Does it cause you a lot of stress? Is it something you don't want to do? Consider things like this and work out if the role is something that's truly for you. Then in the instance that you're definitely about to lose your job, be open to criticism. Having your employment terminated is alot more common than people work out and can happen to anyone for a range of reasons. Always find out the reasons and ensure these are valid reasons and take it as criticism to build on for future roles.
BunteBia
January 31st, 2020 10:08pm
You could try talking to your management about it. See if there is any reason for your worries and if they truly do think about letting you go, then you could also try to see if you can work out something, on what you could work on to get better. Much like at school when you asked the teacher what you could do to get your grades up. I have been in a similar situation where my supervisors weren't sure if they wanted to keep me, so we made a list about the things where I needed to show more initiative or get better at and got six months to show improvement. They kept me. ;) So it can work.
x71102
I think we all associate ourselves so strongly to our work that the idea we could not be working feels so overwhelming and stressful. And sometimes this does happen - we do lose something we value. But there are ways around this. Have you spoken with someone at your work in HR who can help you look at alternative options within your own company? You could work out a plan that outlines what steps you would take if you did lose your job. But I think the best thing is to talk to people in a safe environment about your worry and see if you can find a suitable outcome that feels right for you.