I don't like my job anymore. Should I quit or continue doing it?

★ This question about Work Stress was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

KrishnaLove11
One day, one step at a time. Sometimes we may become intolerant of a job we no longer wish to work. When this occurs, we must first evaluate the reasons why our current job is no longer providing the satisfaction we are looking for, and the feelings surrounding those reasons. This is important because it helps us to see if we can salvage the current job we have by making changes in our perspective, or perhaps in our search for a new job, which will help us not to choose something which will only prove to perpetuate those qualities we are seeking to leave behind. When we do begin our search for another position, remember that our current job is still a priority, and we must maintain it until we have secured a new one. Sometimes we may become impulsive, and quit that job which we believe we can no longer abide, without the security of a next job. This may only add stress as we may now worry about financial concerns due to a lack of income. Sometimes we may go as far as to burn bridges with a company and our coworkers that we no longer wish to work for, but it is always desirable to leave in a professional manner, so that one may be able to count on a reference for the time that was put in.
Anonymous
All jobs wind up becoming monotonous. The issue is, is it simply cause it's boring and it's a job, or is it because of other issues such as disrespect, a bad atmosphere, etc? Weigh the negatives against the positives and that can make a decision. For me, I decided to quit a job based on certain things: immoral issues (I got sexually abused or bullied and then my job was threatened when I complained) and illegal issues (Abused for having a disability and all men were paid more than the women regardless of experience), etc. Jobs always become boring, even when you love what you do. It just depends on whether you need stability or a certain amount of money; etc.
tarrycastle9053
It's hard to leave your comfort zone and rise above. People will tell you happiness is a lie and that to survive you have to work hard. But do you want to survive or LIVE? There maybe financial problems holding you back, but doing what you really love will bring you more happiness and naturally you'll do better at it.
Livelifehappy
I would continue your job until you have another job setup,
afi
While learning to stay with uneasy emotions, I realized that I didn’t need to find a speedy resolution for the difficult feelings. It’s okay to feel lonely; it’s just one of our many human emotions.
Anonymous
I would first try to make sure there is another job set up seeing that there are financial, social, and health related ramifications the could occur.
Anonymous
You sound as though you are at a cross roads in your life/career, and are unsure as to what to do next? Perhaps you could construct a pro/cons. List this may help you to focus on the situation? Good luck.
lilleah2
You should never stay in a job that makes you unhappy. however you need to be able to live, have food, water a bed and if that job is giving you this you may need to stay in it until you have another option to support yourself financially.
theknight1
يمكنني التغلب على كل المشاكل النفسية , بأستخدام التفكير المنطقي , وجعل الهدف في الحياة ليس العيش فقط , و إنما اكثر من ذلك ..
KrinkTheMellowUnicorn
Unless you can afford to live without work for a while, or your job is intolerable and making you severely unhappy or ill, consider keeping the job while you start looking for a new one. Also, think about why you don't like it anymore. Did they job change? Or have you changed? Maybe both? This will help you find a job more to your liking.
Anonymous
January 21st, 2016 12:44pm
You should never ever ever continue doing something that you are not happy with doing, so my advice is quit it, and find another one which makes you happy and relaxed and not stressed
Anonymous
January 23rd, 2016 1:43am
quit it . happiness is more important than money. pursue something that you love doing. find a job that is more meaningful for you and makes you happy.
ReniK
It depends. If your salary is not worth the job then quit but before that ask yourself- will you find a better job that this one and if yes then- where/ How? + will you be happier than you are now?
Anonymous
I suggest you take a break and find what you like, before quitting you should be sure about what you wanna do! figure that out and BIngo! you can then surely quit your current job! ALL THE BEST!
Anonymous
You shouldn't quit your job until you have found yourself another replacement job. Jobs are hard to come by.
creativeMemory88
It is important to know what you do not like about your job, without which changing a job might only transfer the problem to your new job. however by establishing the problem in you current job, you might have a better chance at resolving the issue and starting to like the job again or at-least you may be able to choose your next job looking out for the conditions,which makes you not like the current job.
RatherHaveCoffee
It can be very difficult to work a job you don't enjoy. It can result in you doing your job not as well, or getting very stressed out. I do not recommend quiting your job in an instant. A good employer will try to help you if you tell him/her how you feel. You can also look for something else you will enjoy more whilst still working at your job. It is not a good idea to quit when you have nothing else to transfer to in a short term. I hope this advice helps.
Anonymous
Well, I'd say keep it until you have another job lined up, so at least you'll make some income and not go without income for a while, however if you don't need the income then quit your job.
MsLorax
Keep this job for now and look around for other job opportunities. If something good comes up then leave your current job if you wish.
ChitChatBug
If you think you can financially support yourself for an indefinite amount of time while you look for a new job - you could quit! Realistically, I think the best option is to take some time after work or during your lunch breaks and research some new opportunities and apply to them. When you get a job offer that you're interested in, you can put your notice in your current job that you don't like - and upgrade to the one you do! One piece of advice, though. Try not to burn bridges with your colleagues at the job you don't like. Leave gracefully and on good terms - you never know when a rainy day comes along and you might need to back track!
devilsOrchestra
maybe you should look at why you don't like your job? is there another department you can move to? if not then how about looking for something else while your working, it looks good on your CV and you will have something to move straight on to rather than regretting it later on.
greatfulBraveheart
Continue until you find another job you would like to work in. If you quit that would be a wrong move, you will lose money, money that would help you with clothing,food,rent etc.
JesusLovesYouStill
Oh that's rather simple but take a deep breath. Ok Dear. then consider what is this job giving you for now. You normally get some positive things from this job. You need to itemize those things that are pros on your job. Also weigh in with the Cons, it will help you to make a better decisions if you should quit the job or not. It is not the end, you have a lot of good things on your side. You can work, you have skills from the job. Best of luck
Anonymous
You might want to consider whether you are willing to take a risk here and sacrifice this financial security that you have with your present job. At the same time , having passion for the job is also important ... it makes it easier and also improves performance. It can also be the makeover your life needs at the moment, especially if you feel depressed or dissatisfied with the current job that you have. Ultimately this is a decision only you can make, after weighing the risks and benefits.
Anonymous
I wouldn't suggest quitting your current job until you get a new job that you actually enjoy doing..
Anonymous
It all depends on how possible it is for you to lack a salary for the time period it takes for you to find a new job. A better choice is always to look for a better one while you're still in the old one.
Anonymous
Here are some questions to consider about quitting your job or continuing with it: Can you find new ways to enjoy your job? What aspects of your job do you dislike and can you change them? If you do decide to quit, have you got another job, better than your current one, you're fairly certain you will enjoy for a long period of time lined up? If you haven't gotten a job lined up and you decide to quit do you have enough money for bills to last you at least 6 months of unemployment while you look for a job? Take a look at these things before deciding what's best for you :).
Anonymous
This has to be your decision, is it the actual job you do not like or the company or the people? Are the reasons for not liking it something that can change? If so then maybe the changes can happen and you will be happier there.
Anonymous
Do what you love!!! But have a backup plan and a job ready for you to go to once you've quit. Just to be on the safe side!
BrokenDefinition
What is it that makes you dislike your job? Discussing things with your employer can often relieve work place issues and boost a positive environment for everyone. Though the choice to leave is ultimately up to you.