I don't like my job anymore. Should I quit or continue doing it?

★ This question about Work Stress was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Meredith Seltzer, LPC

The therapeutic relationship can assist you in accomplishing your goals and clarifying your wants and needs. As a skilled counselor and therapist I will help you along the way

Anonymous
First, identify aspects of your job you don't like. Think if there is any possibility any of the aspect you dislike can be changed. Talk with your supervisor. Ask for new experience. Consider secondment (temporary or permanent) while keeping your job. If all else fail, and you feel demotivated going to work, then you should really start considering getting a new job. It's better if you keep doing your job until you secure a new job, because it is harder to get a new job if you are no longer employed, somehow it is viewed negatively by prospective employer.
Anonymous
I am going to continue whether I like it or not. There are many people who depend on this more than many others realize, but I realize this. So I help.
ImHere01
I should not do something that you are passionate about that or else would be wasting your time. Be happy
realisticsolutions2
i think u should look to options u have . if u love something which can help u to improve ur life u can change ur career slowly trying not to lose everything be a wrong decision.
originalLion57
Continue doing it while you look for other jobs so you still make money to take care of yourself, but know that you will do something else in the future as soon as it's possible for you to get another job.
BeAwesomeUK
The ultimate goal in your life is happiness and if you don't like your job any more, then it might be time for change. Don't just quit, see if you can talk to your boss about working in a different department. If there is no opportunity to move to another department, then talk a look at job postings available. Work out whether changing your job will still sustain how you live or if you can cut back.
Anonymous
Considering quitting only when it poses a health or mental health issue, I have been to to multiple jobs and it seems most work environment is the same.
Anonymous
Life is too short to do something that makes you miserable, seek alternate routes and find your path to success!
Varee
Think about why it's wrong for you - the tasks, the location, the people, the company culture, etc. Write them all down. List what you do like about the job. What have you liked about previous jobs? What are your general life values? Does your job or company match them? Think about ways to increase what you like about the job. What are pros and cons for staying... or for leaving? Deep down, is there something you'd rather be doing? What do you really want from your career and does your current job offer opportunities to meet that? By now you may well be getting closer to the right answer for you. Feel free to message me for a chat about it.
thesecretkeeper1115
Ask yourself," why did I take this job?" Then, try to outline your priorities. If quitting doesn't alter your priorities, then, follow what makes you happy. But, in case you have obligations to others that for the meantime ONLY this job can suffice, then outline what makes you NOT like this job anymore, and what can you do about them.
SoulfullAshley
You should maintain that job while you search for another one. It's always better to have a safety net when looking for another job. So do not quit until you have another job lined up.
kindPeace15
I suggest you keep that job until you find a job what works for you. Don't quit until you have found another job that interests you and you happy with it.
Anonymous
if you don't like your job anymore or your uncomfortable with it, then whats the point in continuing. Your life is too short to stand a pathetic job. Find something thats fits you and live happy. You should quit and find a better job.
emb987
It really depends on the impact your job is having on you. If you are feeling like there is no way to make your work environment more positive and healthy for you then putting effort into finding a new career path may be the right choice.
ahelpinghand100
If you're in the position financially to leave your job, leave and find something that will make you happy. A lot of people don't like what they do as their job, but they learn perseverance and know that the job they have is putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads. Don't leave knowing that it puts you and your family in jeopardy.
TrustTheDoctor
You need to think it through carefully.Consider all the pros and cons of this action.What is it that you don't like about your job?Can you change it?If not yes quit.But before quitting you need to find somewhere else to work.Is your new job going to fullfill you or after a while you'll feel the need to change your job again?Before everything you need to make clear to yourself what is it that you are looking for in your job!If you have found what fulfills you and you have a backup job already..then i suggest you quit and take that other job!Think carefully!Don't make decisions you might regret!
Madelenemariee
There's no point in doing something that doesn't make you happy! However, make sure you have steady grasp on another job you might enjoy, before letting go of this job. Pursue Joy! :)
heartfulApricot25
if you dont like your Job you shoud quit if your current circumstances allow you to.. life is too short as it is already to spend it doing something you dont enjoy doing.. instead do something you rahter enjoy :)
LyricalBabin
If you plan on quitting make sure you have another job to go to . If your truly unhappy at work then find one you feel happy in don't do something you don't feel good about.
tranquilOwl
Quitting without a back up could leave you with more stress than before. Having a back up plan helps
Anonymous
Maybe Try looking for another Job, But if you cant find one, Then Maybe even start your own Online company for what you like to do
Harquinn909
I feel like the answer to this is entirely based on whether or not you are getting more positives than negatives from your job. I'll explain - I think that if your job is providing you with things that you need in your life that are greater than the things you don't like about your job, then staying might be best. On the other side, if the negatives outweigh the positives then perhaps it's time to quit.
Anonymous
If you no longer job continue working there and loo into a job you are more interested in. Invest time into your job switch and then you may quit your job. Its easier to get a job when you already have one.
IAmJoe
Keep doing it till you have enough money to last you a while, so when you start looking for the job you love, you don't live on the edge
ItIsANewDay
If you don't have an oppertunity to find another job and you don't have enough money to survive some time unemployed then you should stick around and look carefully if there is another job offer that would work out fine for you.
niamh333
I guess that depends on whether you are able to leave your job financially speaking - do you have another job to go to or do you have savings? If not, you may need to stay working until you can afford to leave. I know it can be tough working somewhere you don't enjoy but unfortunately responsibilities are important too.
Anonymous
Maybe you could look for another job, and once you find one that you really love, quit the other, because you still need money to live, so quiting your job if you don't have any back up plan, might not be the right thing to do
Anonymous
it depends on the situation if you feel like you don't need your job and you can quit then quit it and follow your heart, because only your heart can lead you to the perfect destination :)
plushSeal41
It depends. Did you used to like it, but just lost interest? Or did you never like it to start with? If you never liked it and you still don't, chances are you won't like it later either. But if you used to like it, there's a good chance you can get that back. See if you can remember when you stopped liking it, especially if there was an event that started it all, then see what you need to do to solve that event. Perhaps your boss yelled, and it might help to talk to them now (even though you might have to initiate it). Or maybe you haven't been looking after your energy - it's hard to like anything when you're tired. If you used to like it, it's worth salvaging!
seesarrow
I think you should first evaluate what it is you do not like about your job. If it is something you are not passionate about, it might be worthwhile to seek something that is more in line with what you enjoy. You can also consider what kind of growth potential you have and if it is worth it to stick around for a bit even though you are unhappy, for a greater outcome in the end.