I have been laid off twice within the last year. I'm worried about how the job gaps look on my resume. Jobs that I'm qualified for aren't calling me back. Is my career doomed?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Anonymous
Of course not. Being laid off is very stressful and searching for another job can be just as anxiety inducing. However, if you are willing to put in the time and effort, there are always opportunities. So, there are really only three possible outcomes. Where you were laid off from might hire you back when they have more work - and they completely understand why they had to let you go the first time. Or, what you get may not be your first choice, but all work experience is a learning opportunity and something you can grow from. Or lastly, maybe what is next for you is better then anything you have worked at before! So, keep positive and keep confident. Things will work out!
bubblyFaith17
I'm sorry to hear about being laid off. It is a lot of stress and causes so much anxiety. For a lot of people who have been laid off or had gaps in their resume, they will use a different resume format. If your local employment security commission has a resume writer (where I live they do), you could go and ask them to help you with a professional resume that will help with employment gaps. If you happened to have gone to school while you were unemployed, you could use that to fill in the gap on your resume. For me, going to the employment office was the best solution to my resume issue. If you're not getting calls back from your resume, it might be time to update and revamp your resume also. I was having that issue but after getting the rep to help me at the employment office, I have been called for every job I've submitted to. Have faith! You can do this!