I know something illegal happened at work, how can I report it without risking my job?

Evelyn Coker, Masters in Social Work-LCSW

You have many strengths to overcome any challenge you may face. I am passionate about assisting my clients realize and develop their strengths from the inside out!

CaitlinRose
Many jobs have an anonymous report line that you can call into if they are corporate positions. If not, an anonymous, typed letter can be left in the mailbox of a manager or supervisor.
Honey
My first instinct is to try to solve this internally (e.g. HR departments). Ideally, it demonstrates that you want to work WITH the organization to solve the problem and strengthen the organization as a whole by eliminating the unethical/illegal behavior.
Erick87
Sometimes a situation can come up where anonymity is very important, this is true especially at a place of employment. I encourage you to look up local crime tip hotlines in your area and in addition to that, there is also an online resource which I have used before http://wetip.com , they offer free services to those looking to report crimes while also protecting their identity.
Taylalou
I would report the 'something illegal' situation to the police anonymously to protect my job and identity
Anonymous
Send a letter to police department and explain what happened anonymously, for sure they will take care of it :)
Anonymous
Obviously when you report it, they will take care of your identity and would not prefer to disclose it. Or you can always tell them to keep your name private.
MattsListening
Depending on where you work, there may be an ethics hotline that allows you to anonymously report something illegal taking place. Also you may be eligible for whistleblower status depending on your position, field of work, location, and the crimes being committed. Without knowing more specifics it's impossible to give more exact suggestions.
fromthesea
You can report it anonymously. No one will know that you reported it. so you won't risk losing your job.
Jamiea8668
go to a trade union and ask for it to be kept anonymous ,you can find a trade union online easily...
braverysachoice
October 22nd, 2014 12:07am
you might want to talk to someone who could have been in the same situation or a relative or close friend. if he problem continues then you could press charges or something idk
Uniqueg
Issues like this can be difficult, you can leave an anonymous letter or tell someone who you really trust.
Kathlyng90
Human Resources usually does reporting of this type of thing anonymously. If you contact that department they can tell you if your report will be anonymous before you make the report, and you can base your decision on that; however, if something was done illegally, do not keep angry co-workers from you reporting it.
CParker
If you had no part in it, your job should be safe. It sounds like, based on the question, that it may be your boss or someone higher up. If this is the case, you have a decision to make--risk reporting it and either losing your job, or having your boss make life hell for you if nothing happens to him/her, or let it go and move on with your life as though nothing happened
LovingPhantom
You can always make an anonymous call or tip to the police without giving any information about yourself. However, I think you should start looking for another job, because if they are caught then you can get harmed in the process.
alsem
Speak to your supervisor or the person above them, or better still go to HR and fill in a confidential agreement and you should stay safe
You have to report it to some1 u think u can trust and would not throw u out of the bus. If the illegal thing done is something that involves to the police. Then tell your leader 1st to keep him aware and then inform the police.
ItsTheSheppy
Almost all reputable companies have an anonymous employee hotline for folks to call to report wrongdoing. It is in fact against the law for a company to out a whistleblower and leave them open to reprisal. The hotline is almost always managed by the human resources department. Assuming the company is small, and depending on the severity, your options vary from being brave and notifying your supervisor (being honest and forthright is usually the best way to go), all the way to calling the police. Losing a job is bad. Being found complicit in a crime is much, much worse.
KristenHR
Many positions have a report line that is confidential. I would look into seeing if this is available at your company. Some positions are reviewed by the state governing agency, in which you can make anonymous reports to some as well.