Should I stay at a job that I hate?

Should I stay at a job that I hate?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

TheIrrationalBuddhist20
Absolutely not. Spending 40 hours a week at a place that brings you negative thoughts is not healthy.
ShamanHealerSage
It may take a while, but job hunting will eventually find you alternative options. So since there's no harm in looking around, go ahead! The real question you should ask yourself is - why, or what is it about this job that I hate? Try not to carry any bad habits or baggage into your next opportunity.
Anonymous
No, you shouldn't stay at the job you hate, but sometimes it is a necessary thing to do while you figure out your next step and start moving in the direction of finding the one that you will enjoy. The key here is to understand why you are hating the job, really examine your own needs and values, give it a good, hard look. Now, how can you use that information to define the job that you would actually love?
Anonymous
That's up to you. What does your heart tell you. Do you feel there's any way of improving your work situation. Or do you feel it's time to try something else. It's a big decision and one you should speak to family about.
RobinSchebatzki
No, but you should't quit immediately also. Find another job you like and then only leave the one you hate
electricPomegranate21
The short answer; NO! The long answer; Noooooooooooooooo! We spend so much time at work within our lives. All of that stress, negativity and anger towards a job will NOT help you in the future. You will find a new job that you will enjoy. It may seem scary to quit, but, you can find it before while you are still working.
uniquecreature41
What's in it for you? Is the money good? Are the people nice? Is the work enjoyable? Are there good opportunities to move on to better things? Is the daily journey bearable? If your answer to those is a resounding yes then you're probably in the 1% of the population who feel that way. But if you don't feel like that then the best thing to work out is how you'd feel if you suddenly, for whatever reason, couldn't do that job. If the answer to that is; 'jump for joy with endless happiness and relief' then maybe it's time to look around. We all do a job at some point in our lives that we loathe, just remember that life is a bit too short to spend 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week doing something you absolutely detest.
Coloursofthesea
Life is too short to be doing something you hate. I've worked in areas where I felt miserable and honestly there is not enough money that would make me go back there.
philofelist07
Ask yourself these questions :- 1) Do you hate the job or your colleagues? 2) What do you hate about the job? Is there a better way to do the same work? 3) If your job is boring or monotonous, what other things can you do after work or on holidays that will help you have a good balance and won't make you hate the job as much? 4) Why did you take up this job? Was it for a particular reason or goal? Is that reason still relevant or existing or has it passed? Have you achieved that goal? 5) If you want to quit, do you have a plan to get a new job? How much research have you done for it? Do you need to acquire new skills for the new job or will your experience be enough? 6) Set timelines and goals if you want to get a new job. And evaluate them at regular intervals.
KNikolas
No. Life is short and there may be other opportunities waiting for you. I would take a step back and write down what your passions are and what you really want to do. Go after it!
sereneWaterfall24
Taking the decision to quit a job will depend on several factors: sometimes, we have to put up with things we don't like due to other factors. Only a thorough analysis of your emotional and financial situation will make you take the best decision for you.
HelpWisely
No. You should try to find a job that you will really enjoy and be interested in. A job is not something you just do and get it over with, you have to be totally involved with it and it should make you feel excited and enthusiastic.
jeffwbipolar
It's probably not a good move to just say Take This Job and Shove It without giving a lot of thought about where else you might work and what kinds of other work might be more fulfilling. If you are really unhappy and it really is not working out you probably need to start planning on how to find the exit and looking where that exit might take you. More training might be needed in order to end up where you want. Also, it is best to give a job a certain amount of time to see if problems can be worked out. Also, in professional positions, it is often good to have a solid tenure in before quitting for the next assignment. If the fact that you hate your job is affecting your performance to the point you might not have a job anymore, you probably need to start looking sooner rather than later, but in general staying somewhere longer is viewed as more positive by potential employers.
IntellectualPenguin123
I hate my job, too. It's just so draining to have a job where you'd rather do anything else except go to work. Sometimes, I fantasize about getting sick so I can call in. I'd rather be at home barfing than at work. So, I can relate. What's helped me is looking for a new job and investing my time in things I enjoy outside of work. Perhaps a question to think about is what is it, exactly, that you hate about your job? Then, look for opportunities to counteract that somewhere else. For me, I hate being micromanaged and treated like I'm incompetent. So, outside of my job, I seek out opportunities where I can use my talents and do something productive without anyone looking over my shoulder.
Anonymous
I've recently had this experience and you shouldn't stick in something where your not happy, your current situation is not your final destination
JJia530
Figure out what are the reasons why you hate the jobs, if all the reasons that you find out that really don't match your personality or you don't enjoy working, you should change a new working environment.
AiTheZenNinja
That depends on your financial state. If you don't need the money than just quit. If you need the money then you should stay. What you can do is look for a job while still working there. And if you find a new one you could quit your current job.
PeaceInEveryStep00
I hated the first job I had. My boss treated me unfairly and would make me work overtime without paying me. I wanted to quit so bad but I didn't quit immediately since I knew I wouldn't have money if I quit right away. I started looking for other jobs, interviewed at 3, and finally secured another job before I called it quits. I wouldn't have left my awful job if i didn't have another one lined up. Negative emotions from work will of course cause great anxiety in personal lives as well. I was fortunate to move into an office with coworkers who were transparent and friendly. Having a healthy workplace environment is important for overall well being and mental health. However, if you are in a job that you hate, but you don't have any other options, it might be best to wait it out. Not having a job and not earning money might be worse for you than sticking in a job you hate. Try looking for other places that are looking for new hires so that you can find a job that you will enjoy doing. Good luck :)
1musicloverever
That's completely up to you. If you don't like it and you have a passion for something else, then pack your stuff up and chase that passion! More power to you, doing the things you love. If you don't like something, then change it.
Anonymous
I don't think you should stay at a job you hate but if it's bringing in money than it's good to stay at that job till you find another one that pays just as good if not better. It's better to wake up excited to go to work than to wake up wishing you were doing something else.
warmWaterfall22
That's a hard question. Sometimes we stay in a job because of the benefits or other responsibilities. However, you can look for another job that provides the same benefits. If you hate something that badly about your life, you need to do something to change it.
Philhere4you
I would not stay at a job I hate, which doesn't mean leave the job I hate tomorrow without having a plan "B", another job that I will take the time to choose wisely. Since work can almost count for 1/3 of your life, if it makes you feel hatred, sooner or later it will affect the other two-thirds of your life. That's why your goal is more than money, it's happiness. Happiness is the key. As soon as you are ready to make concessions in order to find balance between all spheres of your life, you will successfully achieve it.
Anonymous
The main thing in life is to do what makes you happy of course. With barely any experience in this area I would express to someone with this barrier to look around your daily essential needs and evaluate your options in a simple form, and not just leave without second thought as you most likely don't need the added stress & pressure of having no income. Don't worry about the personal opinion or what people think if you are a person who finds yourself in that thought bubble sometimes, if it does comes to leaving. Again it's what makes you settled and happy. Look into resources, online, applications and actually go and explore what is around you in your community & town. Expand your perspective by doing so and speak to people. (Word by mouth is always a positive when it comes to work, express your skills!) You will have a higher chance at finding the occupation that you feel is right for you. Do what you love & enjoy, follow your dreams!
liludallas
There might be two ways to cope with a job you hate. Or more. But two main ones as I see it. 1. Find a better job and leave. 2, Stay and learn to love it Both require tolerating your circumstances for a shorter or longer time. #1 requires a lot of research in what you want to do, maybe building new skills, or maybe just applying to new positions. #2 requires more of inner work, learning to find things to love, even when at first it seems that there are none. it might be quite an interesting discovery of yourself and ways to adjust to complex situations. it all depends on many factors. there is no right or wrong, and no one can really tell you whether you should stay or leave. it is something you decide for yourself.
FeriWitch
Entire career books have been written for that question. It's scary to consider leaving a job, even if you don't like it. And you may not have the financial option to leave. If someone at the job is actively abusive to you, or the job is dangerous to your health, especially in ways that are illegal, you should strongly consider leaving, especially if you have the resources to do so safely. If, however, you just hate the work or don't get along with your coworkers or your boss seems to "have it in for you," it's less obvious what you should do. Are there parts of the job you like? Can you focus on how you like those, and spend less of your personal energy on the other parts, even if they take up more of your day? Can you put a limit on your job - "I will work until X happens, and then leave," whether X is getting a promotion or finding a new job? Are there things you could change, that would make the job less unpleasant? If there aren't, what things that are outside of your power could make you ok with the job? If the job doesn't change, in three years, would you be more likely to be kicking yourself for staying, or for leaving, and walking away from whatever income and opportunities it currently has? The answer may not bring you a definitive "yes I should stay" or "I should leave tomorrow," but it may help you sort out what to consider while you decide.
KaringKat22
In my experience, I would say no, simply because any amount of money is not worth being unhappy. To me, I would much rather adore my job and make a little less money than another job.
JustAL0s3r
Currently going through this also. I'm actively looking for work while keeping at a dead-end job, and it is DIFFICULT. 50+ applications sent out and very few responses (mostly just rejections). This is making me glad I didn't quit this job that I hate because in this unresponsive culture where the employers have the upper-hand, who knows how long I'll be looking for the next job. However in the case of abuse then of course it's probably best to leave (assuming the proper authorities have been notified first). Always keep your health and well-being as top priority! If there is no abuse/misconduct, then I advise to keep the money coming in while job-searching (as I'm doing). It's quite the self-esteem drain but let's hope in due time it will pay off.
adaptiveSunrise22
Yes and no. Try looking for better jobs while still working the hated job. Also, try to make time for other things in your life that you do enjoy, such as volunteering, education, or hobbies. Perhaps there is a perfect job out there that you will love, going out and doing these fun, productive activities may help you find it. Improve yourself and expand your social network to help find that perfect job in the future. In the meantime, remember, not everyone loves their job. It's ok to hate your job. Make the rest of your life fulfilling and your job won't matter so much.
Anonymous
No, life is way to short. Start looking for other jobs. If you're really unhappy, I'm sure you can find something else.
BeenThereTu
Many people feel compelled to remain at jobs that they despise because money is needed to pay bills. The problem becomes when people end up remaining at the job they hate, feeling like the idea of moving to a fulfilling job is beyond their reach. I think it's very important to enjoy the vocation or job that you choose to do. When you enjoy your job or business, you put your energy and passion into it and do it well.