Should I stay at a job that I hate?

Should I stay at a job that I hate?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

creativeBlanket12
I am a great fan of lists. Making a list of what you love and hate about a job can help identify what kind of jobs you might like to try. It is not always possible to take time out from working, money is needed to live, so making the most of opportunities offered for personal and professional development in your job can help you gain the skills needed to move to something you would like to try. If there is something particular you find in your list that is making you hate your job, what is it and why does it make you feel that way? Is it possible to address that issue within your job? Is it a person or a characteristic of the job? Is it the commute? Is there anything you feel you could do to help improve the job you are in while you look for another? Have you considered taking a free online course, for example on Coursera or similar platforms- they can help you explore new domains in your free time to see what you enjoy.
allnaturalUnicorns70
August 2nd, 2017 3:35pm
Depends! How much do you need the job? How hard is it to get another? Is it something which could conceivably get better? Many people find it helpful to make lists of upsides and downsides when considering a change. Good luck to you!
caringWaterfall16
The quick answerve is no. The insightful answer would be to understand why you dislike the current role and start making different decisions daily to improve your reality.
Medit8ion
Job satisfaction is a necessity for most people. Aside from family or romantic relationships, it is a very high stress inducer. You have to determine what you can live with and how to stay healthy. If your hatred of your job jeopardizes your physical or mental health, you should quit whe you have other options available.
Anonymous
Nope, there is plenty of opportunities out there, it's totally fine to switch job, especially the one you hate. It's never too late to change something in your life
Anonymous
Should you? That question, in my humble opinion, is best answered from inside yourself. In my experiences, the only one who is able to decide if your current job, career, or vocation is something you see yourself doing in the future is yourself. Consider the financial, as well as social repercussions. If a job sucks and you need to save face as well as need the money... I would suggest keeping the job temporaily. If you have better options, perhaps utilize them. Nonetheless, look at the bigger picture. Is this job detrimental to your health, as well as well being? Yes/No gives you your own answer. I don't think that there is anyone out there able to answer such a question other than yourself. Do what you feel is correct, and justifiable.
ANEZKA013
Definitely not, not unless there is absolutely no back-up plan. A job should make you happy but should also be realistic, and achievable. It should also suit your ability and make you happy. If you are doing a job you hate, take some part time off, and use it to study - or work towards the job you Really want to do, if you cannot transition straight away.
BrightHorizon484
I believe it depends on what it is you hate about the job. Then it's about figuring out if it's something that needs to change internally with you, something that needs to be addressed at the job and changed there, or if you must leave the job altogether because it is a toxic environment. One important thing to think about is if this is a pattern with jobs. You don't want to leave one job and then run into the same issue at another job. It may be that you need to increase your ability to be assertive or do an internal search to find a job that is actually satisfying your core needs. So, it all depends on you and your individual situation. Feel free to send me a message if you are in such a situation.
rosie24
It is up to you. If you are unhappy you may want to consider trying to talk to a boss before you try to quit. Maybe they can fix something. But don't feel obligated to stay at a job to please people. Being happy comes first in my book.
ComfortZ0ne
It depends whether you really need the job to survive or not. If you have difficulty getting a shelter, then you should stay with the job. When you have time, seek for alternative jobs. If you have no problem to survive without the job for some time, it's good to change the job. Men only live once, it's not valuable to give all of yourself to something you dislike.
pbandkay
Staying in a job you hate can impact you negatively. If you have the opportunity to the leave the job for something you like more I would say go ahead and do it. If not, I would try to ride it out until your able to do that, especially if it would affect your majorly financially by not having a job. Remember, if you do a job you love you will never work a day in your life. Good luck to you!
KongfuPanda
This is a tough one because it affects your financial situation greatly. There are also other issues tangled into a job. One way to analyze is to look at the cost of staying at the job, v.s. leaving the job. If you leave this job you hate, what do you lose? If you stay, what do you lose?
GirlFromTheWoods
The decision whether to stay at your current job or leave it is usually a tough one and shouldn't be made without proper consideration. There are many aspects to think about: why exactly do you hate your job? Is it something external, or has it something to do with your attitude or unrealistic expectations? Can you afford quitting financially? Do you have the next job lined up? Whatever you do, don't rush into it, but also don't let your fear of change hold you back if you do decide to quit.
Anonymous
From my point of view the answer is no. The job will possibly drag you down and stress you twicefold if you have a major distaste towards it.
Stoot
This depends on the circumstances surrounding it and can be a difficult desicion to make, however the answer should usually be no. If the job is affecting your mental health its a good idea to move on if there is other employment that you can seek,
purplegoldfish
Think about what makes you hate the job. Will you like the job if it changed? Can you make the change happen? Don't be too hasty in leaving your job. If you're set on leaving, actively looking for a viable alternative and try to only quit once you have a clear goal and new opportunity ahead.
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2017 5:23pm
Ultimately, no one can tell you whether to leave the job or not because only you know what's best for you and what you want out of your life. Every situation is different. Consider all the options and make a decision based on what feels best to you and aligns with your values. In this case, Something like a a pros and cons list may be helpful: 1) What are the pros of staying at your current job? What are the cons? 2) What are the pros of leaving your job? What are the cons? In addition, there are consequences and circumstances of each choice to consider: In the big picture, what do you want for yourself and your life? What are your guiding values and principles? Can you afford to leave this job emotionally and financially? Do you have a new job lined up already? Are you prepared to go full time into a new job search? What job options or alternatives do you currently have? Do you hate the job itself or certain circumstances of the job? What would need to change to make you stay at this job? Is there anything you can do to make those changes happen? In summary, every situation is different and no one can make the decision for you. Think about what you want for your life, and make a decision that aligns with your values and goals. :) Good luck!
Anonymous
December 23rd, 2017 7:08am
There is no easy answer to this question! It depends on what the consequences of your decision might be. I would suggest weighing up what are the good and not so good things about your job - and the good and not so good things about leaving the job! Sometimes thinking things through methodically can really help with making a big choice. In the longer term, you are much likely to have good wellbeing if you are in a job you love rather than if you are in a job you hate and that is worth thinking about. I would suggest really being open to the possibility of leaving, and keep an eye out for opportunities. Don't lose hope. You're not likely to be in the same job forever, whether you can leave in the short term, or if you need to bide your time and leave when you have things you need organized. Good luck!
Angel1011208
life is short, if you could live off of a job that you love doing why not go for it, if you love your job you'll never have to work a day in your life. with that being said people who work at jobs they hate just to pay the bills, i have so much respect for because it's not easy but they just prove to people how strong they are.
Jackson217
This is a question that is best solved by you. You know how much money you need to have made by a certain time of the month, and if you won't be able to make that without that job, then you need to keep it. However, if you see a better opportunity for a job you enjoy, take it.
Anonymous
If you hate the job and it stresses you out, likely you should consider finding a new job. Staying at a job you hate can demotivate you, and sometimes stunt the quality of your work. If you do decide to find a new job and you pay rent and stuff like that then it's advised to quit after you've found a new job.
Coffeelovertr
I've been in a situation like that before, I can't tell you what to do because what I did might not make you feel better. So you make your own decision. But when I was in this situation, I lost motivation for work, school and even seeing my friends was too much. So I looked down at myself to know what was the problems. I found out it was work so I start looking for something else. And now that I changed my job, I feel a lot better. I found a job in which I feel amazing, and that I like a lot.
Anonymous
it's never stimulating waking up and going to a job that you don't enjoy. If you have the means to quit and find a new job then that would definitely be a great idea.
Salmonellkey
Job is definitely something you should enjoy because it is something that you will do for the rest of your life. Don't be afraid of changes! Any change is for the best. You should take care of yourself and trust me - job that you hate is not a way to treat yourself. No matter what you hate - coworkers, job by itself, your workplace or something, things need to change if you feel like not doing that. Love yourself, guys. And make right choices ❤
Easylistener
January 31st, 2018 8:13pm
If you hate the job you're at, you aren't going to give your best. Rather find something you would want to do than be halfhearted at the job you're at. Being unhappy is no way to live your working life.
Anonymous
January 31st, 2018 10:34pm
You are the only person who knows what's right for you. However, always put your needs above everything else. Are you happy at your job? Probably not since you say you hate it, but why do you hate it? Are you being treated unfairly? Or is it simply just not the right job for you? You may also put into perspective that a bad job can be better than no job at all - perhaps hold onto the job until you can with certainty get another one.
saranova
When it comes to jobs, it is important to know that a job is something you will have for the most of your life. To thrive and to enjoy what you are doing will help you in many different ways; one of them being mentally. In the end, it is up to you if you feel like staying at your current job that you don't like is what you have to do, considering finances and your life situation, but remember that you are going to spend many years and hours working, and that will affect you greatly in life.
MeteorMethuselah
Money comes and goes. Friends come and go. So your happiness in your workplace is top priority. Never hesitate to leave a job you hate.
Mariaaa00
February 22nd, 2018 12:53am
I think that the number one thing that one should keep in mind is that one should really focus on doing things they enjoy. It is most important for you to be happy and feel accomplished in whatever you're doing :)
Anonymous
No. But leaving a job might be the wrong decision when having financial problems - you could stay in your hated job and meanwhile look for better fitting jobs - do what makes you happy.