What do I do when my coworkers are harassing me?

Australia

Lauren Brody, Bachelor in Psychological Science, Advanced Diploma in Counselling and Psychology

I work in supporting individuals in reclaiming their lives from overwhelming thoughts and emotions and help them to take control

GlowingAngelfish111
First of all, harassment at work can be reported to your superior. In most countries this is in the working rights and law. You can communicate that you are annoyed and they should stop, but even though you wouldn’t do it, your colleagues are in the wrong. If they are having a bad behavior this should be reported in your interest, the interest of your company and theirs. Now some workplaces are better than others in that matter and employees can fear to make a step and denunciate someone. Note aside, the harassers are probably counting on this fear to continue to bully as they please.
MomoListens
When coworkers are harassing you, the best you can probably do is to immediately report it to your employer. A workplace is supposed to be a safe place for every individual and any kind of unapologetic behavior must be reported directly to the authorities concerned. Remember, the harassing has nothing to do with you or your personality. Don't let their behavior affect your mental health. Also, try not to confront them or avoid getting into a conflict that might expose you to situations that are unfavorable, no matter how much dirty it gets. No one deserves to go through all this.
Anonymous
I first try to deal with the issue myself. Is there something I can say to this person to show them how I am feeling? Can I say something that will stop the behaviour? If this doesn’t get through to them, and the harassing continues, then I would try to have a meeting with management to tell them what is happening. If needed, I would file a complaint about them. If this still didn’t solve the harassment, then I would ask if I could move departments or work in a different environment. Hopefully after making threats of moving, management would take the problem more seriously. If I don’t feel heard at all, then I would consider changing jobs, as this type of environment isn’t good to work in.
Anonymous
I think the best thing you should do is speak to the person in charge about this matter. Harassing someone isn't professional or a good thing anyone can do! I also thing that you should talk to a trusted person about this. Sometimes telling someone how you feel will make you feel better. Always remember sometimes their harassing isn't your fault. There must be something going on with their lives and they want to put that on you. But that is not fair! That is toxic behaviour. Everyone try to give safe, I know it's sometimes hard in this day and age
Anonymous
Sorry that happened to you. It should not be happening. You can report it to your HR department,if it is a large company. If it is a small company,you can report it to your boss. If neither of those's work,then you can file a police report. There are laws against work place harassment. You could also sue the company you work for. If your not comfortable with all of those things, I mentioned above, then you might want to start looking for another job. Also, you could ask the person who is causing you problems, to stop doing what ever they are doing, that is making you feel uncomfortable. I wish you a lot of luck. Hope things get better for you.
yassin2023
I would leave them alone and try to tell the big boss who is working there so she can deal with them. Also, I would try to make them see I am not affected. This reason will be that if they see me not affected they will try not to bother me. This experience happens usually at work, people do it when they are bored and they will bother other people. So, it is important to keep the manager involved and if some one is bothering do not hesitate and ask the manager so they can stop.
SS2328
If you are being harassed by your coworkers always let someone else know of the situation, your friends that are not from your job or your bosses. Never stay quiet when it comes to something as serious as harassment. If you feel like you are being harassed all jobs have a number to call to report the situation. If you feel that your immediate supervisor is not helping you then reach out to his bosses or HR to provide a number to call to report the harassment. Just remember that you are never alone and speaking to someone is always the right thing to do.
Anonymous
First, you inform the coworkers to stop. You will have to inform your coworkers about how you feel when they are harassing you. Strictly tell them that you do not feel comfortable when they do certain actions that can portray as harassment to you. Then if it does not stop, go directly to your HR manager. Strictly go to the manager and inform that the coworkers are harassing you and explain to her/him the details of the actions or statements that they are saying that makes you think that they are harassing you. You have to be very detailed to officially file a complaint to your HR.
EmpathicPikachu
Harassment can never be a good experience and I feel for you. You need to understand where to draw a line since your mental and emotional well being must be your top priority. If its something affecting your mental health, dont hesitate to reach out or even ask for help. Deliver the message to coworkers in straight and clear voice. If its something we call bullying, deal how you deal with bullies. But if its more than bullying i.e. any physical harassment, go for help. Complaint to competent authority or even Police to make it stop. Asking for help never means you are weak or coward. I hope you stay strong and do the right thing for your emotional well being.
Misskhan01
"Some behaviors, albeit making someone uncomfortable, can seem so harmless – there are no physical signs of abuse – that few people want to report them for fear of being seen as petty or as a snitch," Chancey told Business News Daily. Although broaching the subject of workplace harassment can be uncomfortable, nervousness is a normal feeling. Harassment claims should be taken seriously and addressed quickly and thoroughly, with as much discretion as possible. "If you are being harassed or think you may be, but are too scared to go forward, educating yourself on the facts is a great way to gain confidence to stand up for yourself," said Becca Garvin, executive search consultant at Find Great People. "The sooner you act on it, the easier it will be to put an end to it."
peacefulLight8704
It is not allowed for coworkers to harass other employees on the job. Your work place has a responsibility to you and to others to provide protection from this in order to make the work environment safe for everyone present. Does your work place have a Human Resources department, also known as HR? If so, these are likely the people to go to. They deal with current and prospective employees, including harassment cases like this. Let them know what is going on, which is that you are being harassed. Let them know what is being said and how long it has been going on.
Anonymous
Taking the time to separate yourself from your work environment can be difficult, but necessary. Bringing your issues to someone at work and expressing how they make you feel can be the first step towards resolving the situation. If possible, you could also attempt to let your coworkers know how you are feeling. By calmly letting them know that what they are saying and doing is hurting you, you could be opening a line of communication with them. If this does not work, finding compassion in your friends and family when not at work can be helpful. Focusing on the positives around you can help you put aside the negatives at work.
brightbubbles88
If your coworkers are harassing you, there are multiple things you can do depending on what you feel most comfortable with. For instance, confronting these coworkers and expressing the consequences of their actions/words, in addition to what you would like to see change moving forward. However, if the harassment continues, you should absolutely connect with your supervisor/manager regarding the situation, the steps you took with them previously, and again what you would like to see moving forward. I realize that reaching out for help can seem scary and you may think that you are weak for not being able to figure things out on your own, but you absolutely do not deserve to be harassed. You deserve to be treated with respect and you are stronger than you know and you do not have to figure things out on your own (because there are people who care about you, support you and want what is best for you)
Calmwaters2246
Harassment from anyone can be very distressing, let alone from the people you work with. Staying calm is key, and you should make sure that you are standing up for yourself with firm and short sentences, making it clear that it is not okay for your coworkers to speak to or about you like that. Escalating to your superior for help is also a good idea, to make sure that you are being protected and that people are held accountable for their behavior. Go as far up the chain as you need to in order to get the issue resolved. You deserve to have a work place where you feel safe and can thrive :)
MaryGamer
The very first thing to do is address the situation with your co-workers, if possible using "I" statements. For example, "When you speak to me using that tone, it makes me feel hurt." This will make your feelings explicit. If this does not do anything, the next thing to try is to speak to your direct manager. Make sure to formally log the complaint. If you have already tried that or you are not comfortable doing so, then HR would be the next best place to head. They should be able to offer an open ear and assist with the issue. If you've tried both of these routes, sometimes you can speak to your manager's manager or your coworker's manager (if it is different than your own). In the very worst case, try to begin looking for new opportunities in your free time if you need to get out of that company. It is helpful to have a role already lined up.
Anonymous
Working in a toxic environment can be really tough, it could be challenging and might be jeopardizing your professional development. Reporting it to HR would be the first recommendation. Make sure you document everything that had happened to you with this coworker, write down on paper any situation, including date, time and specifics. Do not leave anything out. Sometimes we are not allow to record or don't have written proofs like emails, or even camera footage of the harassment, and even sometimes witnesses are not helpful, this is why it is recommended to basically have a diary to cover your back in any circumstances.
Anonymous
Try to explain to your co workers that you do not like what they are doing. If they do not listen or if it is something that cannot be fixed with simple words, you need to speak to management because harassment is a very serious matter. If that does not work, try to contact Human Resources or the Better Business Bureau. They will find a way to help you and make you feel safe. No one should ever be harassed in the work place or in any place for that matter. Do not let it get out of hand.
GraceJoy93
I remind myself first that what is happening to me is not my fault- and then identify what is in my control and what isn't. It is in my control to find out what my workplace stance is on harassment. I then would check my workplace policy on bullying and harassment and talk to my line manager about what is going on. Depending on the severity of the harassment, I will either approach the coworker directly or arrange a formal conversation to put an end to the treatment. I am particularly sensitive to bad treatment within the workplace and will bring up the experience with my therapist as well.
Anonymous
Federal law prohibits sexual harassment in the workplace. According to the Equal Rights Advocates website, the legal definition of sexual harassment is “unwelcome verbal, visual, or physical conduct of a sexual nature that is severe or pervasive and affects working conditions or creates a hostile work environment.” This happens when a coworker makes lewd sexual comments about you or someone else in your presence that you find offensive. It could relate to him telling you lewd or dirty jokes that you don't like. A person who attempts an unwanted sexual advance is guilty of sexual harassment. So is a supervisor who infers you could receive a promotion for sexual favors.
nashdoitsohHeart8548
Being harassed at work can come in many forms and shapes and often is not obvious, even to the victim. If you start feeling unhappy, nervous and uneasy, you should listen to your inner voices and be on the lookout what triggers these feelings. Nobody deserves to be treated in a negative way. You should talk to a person you can trust, your supervisor, HR representative. Hopefully your company has a helpline where you can report the issue anonymously. But always speak up, your company only can help you if they know of the issue! You deserve to be happy!
Anonymous
I speak to them about how I feel. If they do not care about that and they continue with harassing me, I would communicate with my manager. I can also contact human resources if my manager does not seem to be helping me out. I am a manager myself and although I have never had someone come to me with this sort of issue before. However, I do have the training in case I have to do it. My position has to be completely unbiased and only I can make a decision of what to do once I speak to both parties.