What to say when quitting a job you just started?

Zeina Ghoul, LLPC

I help guide clients to create positive change in a non-judgmental and supportive atmosphere.

BellatheHappyHelper
I am sorry to inform you that I will be resigning. I don't feel that I am the right fit for this job position. - Just be honest, apologetic, positive, and respectful. - Offer a two week's notice, this gives them time to find a replacement - Don't explain why you are leaving because you are not obligated to tell them (but if you want to tell them you can, but it really won't make a difference) - Stay positive and calm on the outside even if you aren't on the inside - Let them know that you think leaving is the best choice for you
MalK
No one knows how a job is going to turn out until they start. You also don't know whether you'll like the working environment until you've started. Nobody goes into a job intending to quit. So, just be as honest as you can. "I hoped this would be the job for me, but..." It's an awkward conversation to have and no doubt you'll feel bad. But ultimately, it's just bad luck. So, don't beat yourself up about it. Breathe deep and say: 'I guess it wasn't meant to be...' You would have learned important lessons from the experience... You'll be one step closer to the right job for you/
ThePowerofKnight
It's important to have a plan moving forward before a person quits their current job. An important question to ask oneself is: "do I have enough emergency funds to support myself until I find a new job to replace this one? It would also be helpful if a person got clear on the reasons why their current job doesn't suit them. Are the reasons for leaving, truly legitimate? Is there something that could be learned or benefited from if a person stays at their current job? Rather than rashly leaving current employment abruptly, it's important to remember that current options for employment are scarce these days due to the pandemic. Also, identifying what a person is passionate about and not passionate about, in regards to the type of job desired, would also be helpful. Perhaps writing down on paper the "pros" and "cons" of quitting a new job, over staying could also be a great tool to help a person make the best decision.
Alwayshearforyou247
You should always do a job that you love. Even a job isn't making you feel good than yes, maybe you should quit. You should your manager or your boss that this job isn't well suited for you. I good response would be something along the lines of, "I know I will not be able to work here, so I am letting you know in advance that you should hire someone else". It's good that you know you want to quit, and if you know that in your first few weeks of working..It will also be easier for your manager to understand. If you would like to talk about this with me, here is the link, I'd be more than happy to help https://www.7cups.com/110869482
joyfulWinter24
You should say that you very much appreciate the effort they put into selecting you for the role but other things have come up in your life that you will need to take care of at this time. At the end of the day everyone knows these things are just business and shouldn't take them personally. Some good ideas for a polite excuse would be, I spoke with some family who are actually helping me go back to school.. or I am having a personal family emergency that I need to take care of. or I recently found that my schedule is not as free as I believed it to be. It looks like some former obligations have turned up. Thank you for your understanding.
CollegeNutrients
The easiest statement would be, "Dear sir/madam, Please accept this letter as my resignation. This opportunity was very fulfilling and I have learned so much during my time at as employee at this establishment, but due to personal reasons I regret to inform you that I cannot work at this time. Thank you very much for all that you have done for me and thank you for your time and consideration." To be honest, looking at examples of resignation documents is very helpful to get an idea of what to say. Also, I recommend that you already have a job waiting for you or some sort of plan once you resign from your current job as it helps reduce the stress you may go through.
Anonymous
This is a tough question because leaving a job is never easy. How you are quitting a job may be dependent on the reasons you are quitting. The best way to quit any job is to give minimum notice. Make sure you tie up any loose ends at your jobs. Regardless of the reasons that you are quitting, always maintain yourself professionally. Because we are living in a smaller world due to social networking etc. You never know who may pop up in the new job from the previous jobs so always end the job on a good note even with the person who may be the reason you are quitting. Great question and timely too.
8Lotuss
well when I quit my first job, I kind of looked for a job; while I was working there. It was a great job. But, I couldn't practice any of my skills that I knew. When I quit my second job, I simply stopped going. This time I didn't search for a job. Although the job was paying could, all privileges' are given. Luxuries. but I had work stress issues. I felt I was in the wrong position. I've been in that position for eight years. Second, I wanted to finish my college degree in education. which, I did after quitting. I simply didn't go for two weeks. All, the people and coworkers advised me not to leave. I wish, I listened to them back then. After two weeks at home, I simply went and wrote a letter that I'm quitting. Stating in it I haver personal reasons that motivate me to quit. and submitted it to the administrative department. And that was it.
GagaMan
That might be hard and make you feel nervous about your career future. You will find a new job. Maybe a new journey is waiting for you. You can always count on your abilities. It is better to quit sooner than never. Not liking a job and quiting right after you just got the job is not a bad thing. You can never know if you can cope with the struggles unless you experience them and one way to do that is to take a job and take it to a test. Test your own abilities, your feelings, your and others benefits in that situation and that job enviornment. It can be frustrating but finding the job that is yours and fills your soul with joy and happiness is important along the money you will earn.
Anonymous
Personally I would say something along the lines of: I think I may not be a good fit for the position and I would benefit from Seeking a position else where and you would benefit from finding someone better suited for the role. And thank everyone for the opportunity. Depending on how well the news was received I would explain myself further and answer questions the supervisor had but quitting any job at any time if difficult and people are usually very displeased to hear someone is leaving and they won’t be fully staffed. I’d also try to remember not to take anyone’s reaction personally and to remind myself that making this decision is what was best for me.
LearningMatters
I apologize that I can't continue in this position. It isn't a good fit. I appreciate the time and effort. I will keep you in mind if I run across someone who is better matched to the organization's needs. I had a lot of good takeaway moments from the experience. I'm very happy to recommend your company and I'll be your best customer. I would love it if you'd keep me posted on that XZY project in development. I've been looking to expand my skillsets in that area. You did a great job representing the organization. Thanks for the opportunity!
Anonymous
January 21st, 2021 11:19pm
If you feel like quitting a job that you just started, first ask yourself why you feel like quitting. Is it that the job is not suited to you? The hours? The type of job? Your co-workers? Asking yourself such questions will really help you to understand firstly whether you are ready to quit or not and establish the cause. But, if you are adamant on quitting then that choice is yours to make and others should respect your decision. Just tell your boss or your manager that you have had enjoyed working there or with them and that you have gained some insight into something or improved some skillsets, but you wish to embark on a new journey or try something new. You could tell them that you are interested in exploring a different sector of work, for example or that a new opportunity has arisen that you can't help but pursue.