When should I tell my boss I quit? Do I need to give 2 week notice?

Australia

Catherine Davis, Bachelor of Community Education, Major: Counselling. Founder & owner of Mental Stress Buster Facilitation Service, Author & creator of, 'Mental Stress Buster' a do it yourself mental stress release process.

Therapist

I'm Cassie. I've been a successful therapist for over 10 years. I aim to help you explore your problem so you gain insights you need to constructively solve it on your own.

crispapple71
It is important to find out what the minimum requirement is for giving notice. This will often be outlined in a contract. Breaching contract may prove more difficult than abiding by its terms.
sillyseraph002
two weeks notice is standard notice. give two weeks, unless you have been instructed otherwise.
KurtCups711
Two weeks is generally accepted to be an appropriate amount of notice however, this is something you should work out with your new and current employer. Perhaps the new company hiring you needs you in one week or not for another month. You don't own your current company anything but it's also important not to burn any bridges on the way out. Working with them on transition out of the company builds a lot of good will with remaining employees that could pay dividends later in your career.
Ky23
Generally, I think the given time is a 3 week notice. From what I've seen this can be done either through a formal note or face-to-face. It's definitely not something you want to take lightly because this job will serve as a reference later when you apply for another job. You want to make sure you leave on a good note, and leave as much of a lasting impression as you can! Be as honest as possible when you are leaving (I say as much as possible because for example, I definitely would not tell your current job that you are leaving them because you found another job that pays better. That's information they don't need to know!) and thank them for their time. I know that it can feel uncomfortable or like you are doing the wrong thing by quitting sometimes... but this is your life! If you've found a better opportunity or are no longer happy with your current job it's okay to move to the next best thing for you.
Aware52
I would say that two weeks is the least notice period you can get away with when you work part time. It is always better to extend the note period to give yourself and your employer more time to make alternative arrangements. If you work full time and have a permanent position the notice period should be longer, at least four weeks long. The most important thing here is to look at your contract for cross referencing of notice periods if you have signed one. Most company's won't worry to even work something out that suits your needs. The might let you go much earlier depending the circumstances.