Why do I always wake up with a headache?

Shawndean Hutchison, LPC

My work with clients seeks to help them create a life that feel is worth living rather than just surviving. I help people manage problems and reduce stress.

VioletL
I used to always wake up with a headache and I found it's because I was always dehydrated! Try filling up a water bottle in the morning, and drink enough that you refill it at least once during the day. Keep water next to your bed in case you wake up thirsty as well. Hope this helps!
PashT007
The most common reason for a headache is stress. If this is the case, slow down and take time. Don't rush into making decisions and stop your thought process at some point during the day.
newbeginnings3
You should see a doctor; they are professionals and will have the best and most accurate answer for you. Good luck!
Anonymous
I wake up with a headache because my baby is a infant she dont sleep very well and i have to be alert incase she wakes up so i dont get very much rest
Anonymous
Air conditioning units and heaters can dry out the air, allergies can be year round indoors, other medical issues may exist causing a headache when waking up. Or you could grind your teeth like I do.
SilentSerenityy
If you sleep in a lot or don't get up quickly after you wake up, it can be from that. It could also be from dehydration or hunger. If it's bothering you a lot, you should see a doctor.
February 22nd, 2016 3:23am
Maybe you should get that checked by a doctor. It could be something your going through mentally or physically either way best to get it checked.
wonderfullEndfoftherainbow27
November 21st, 2016 3:54pm
You might need to ask yourself a few questions about you health and habits: 1. Is your sight reduced so that in bright light it sometimes hurts? You might need an eye check to determine whether you need glasses. 2. Do you spent a considerable amount of time online? Frequent use of electrical devices like PC's and mobile phones can cause headaches if you are not taking breaks or are looking at a small screen. 3. Have you been worrying about aspects of you life? Sometimes low mood manifests are physical ailments. Ask yourself which one you might be then take steps to plan and implement changes or seek the advice of a medical professional.
gigglePuppy25
Monitor how long you've been having headaches. They can be caused by various factors including lack of sleep, mental/physical/emotional stress and health problems etc. Try to get a good night's rest of about 7 hours each night. Turn off electronics, stop using them within half an hour before going to bed. See if this makes a difference. Stay hydrated.
ElectricSky202
I used to wake up with headaches until I invested in a really good quality pillow with excellent neck support. The blood was constricting at my neck, I'd wake up with stiff neck muscles, and be in pain for the entire morning. Neck support while sleeping is key. Also, if you aren't already, be sure to be hydrated enough before bed! You're asleep for several hours without any water. And chugging a full glass of water first thing in the morning wakes you up much faster.
Anonymous
There could be multiple reasons behind waking up with a headache. Some of them being medical, however some can be psychological such as stress or feeling overwhelmed. Try to take time in the mornings to sit down and relax with something to drink. Just think about positive things coming in your day.
ElaineSaysHello
Sometimes dehydration can lead to headaches or vertigo. Try drinking some water, friend! :) but if these headaches get worse or continue, please seek medical help! We're here for your emotional needs at 7 Cups, but we want you to be physically healthy too!
kindRose56
Waking up with a headache could be caused by many things from stress, dehydration, lack of sleep, too much sleep and more. If it is something that is concerning to you then you may want to consider checking in with a professional such as a doctor to help in case it is something physical. If you think it is more psychological then maybe try some destress activities that work for you, or talk to someone. If it is very concerning to you then you may want to consider seeking help from a therapist. Headaches can be caused by many things. If you think that it is not a serious thing then just keep taking care of yourself. If it is concerning then you may want to check in with someone.