Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Upcoming Holidays

InternalAcceptance November 20th, 2023

The holidays are quickly approaching, which can be an incredibly difficult time for many of us.  For those of us in the United States, Thanksgiving is this upcoming Thursday with Christmas/Yule/Hanukkah closely following.  Rather than assuming what would be helpful for everyone in the community, I wanted to ask and give a few options.  

In the past, we have opened the Addiction Support Room on the holiday as well as the day before and after.  While I can't guarantee that I'll be able to keep it open all day, I'd be happy to keep it open as much as I can.  I generally have open discussions so that we can all share what's on our minds, though if you feel a guided discussion would be beneficial, please let me know that as well!

Another option would be to have activities here in the forums.  I'm not entirely sure what that would look like right now but I'm working on getting that coordinated as well.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know!  You can post them here in this thread or you can PM me directly.

Thanks!

IA

Kristynsmama November 20th, 2023

@InternalAcceptance

I would love to brainstorm this with you.  I can be available in the evening on Thanksgiving night.  And I'm usually around on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.  Feel free to reach out to me if you want to brainstorm some ideas.  

As Always,

Kristy

BeCreative1967 November 20th, 2023

Maybe talking about Christmas worldwide could open up a bit the bothersome anxiety of the family and church holidays stirring up old traumas?

Storytelling is always a great way to help the soul, to my experience.

We could also do something like we do in Germany, wich is called "Raunächte". It is like The twelve Days of Christmas  in England. (25th to 5th of January). The tradition stems from ancient times (like the easter bunny and the Christmas tree).

I normally do some journaling these special days. When "between the years" the intuition is said to be heightened, and if one believes so, the dreams in those 12 nights represent the months of the next year.

We could offer some forum "open journal" for the "time between the years"?

Just some (I must admit rather different) ideas - but maybe this is a bit to pagan for here?

@BeCreative1967

Just some German folklore explained: https://germangirlinamerica.com/what-is-rauhnacht/

InternalAcceptance OP November 20th, 2023

@BeCreative1967  I don't see anything wrong with doing that at all.  It sounds like a wonderful tradition.  Would the journal entries be public like this forum post or would it be better to do it in our private journal on our profile, do you think?

@InternalAcceptance

I guess both? Like a public post explaining it with options to contribute their expierences and giving the idea to keep your private things in your private journal, maybe? (I actually prefer a handwritten journal for that purpose).

Michelh1996 November 20th, 2023

Interessting to hear there have been addiction chats during these difficult/stressful times where there can be a lot of stimulation or pressure on people. When it comes to addiction, does this include any kind or is this scoped to for example alcohol/drugs?

I am especially interested in food/eating in this scenario, since I am also struggling very much with this. That's why I was wondering.

@Michelh1996  The chats are open to all addictions, not just alcohol/drugs.  I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling.  I hope that you can join us.

communicativePond1728 November 20th, 2023

@InternalAcceptance

Have you had any ideas come up about the games or other type things yet?

@InternalAcceptance

*Oops! I mean activities.

Holding a brainstorming session in one of the rooms might help. People love to feel and be useful! 

@communicativePond1728  We haven't come up with any games or activities yet but that's a great idea!  Could we use a forum thread to brainstorm or do you feel one of the chatrooms would be best?

@InternalAcceptance

I feel live is best a brainstorm as people can work together, and as they say many hands make light work this also goes in a spontaneous and collective, live environment.

I'd also leave the forum open for ideas and keep the ball rolling with the results and energy from the brainstorm so the opportunity is maximized.

purpleTree4652 November 20th, 2023

@InternalAcceptance

I was going to start a thread of, what would be your theme music if you could have that music play when you enter a room?  You're welcome to use this and I won't use it.

tree

AnnaBanana06 November 21st, 2023

@purpleTree4652 Good idea

InternalAcceptance OP November 23rd, 2023

@purpleTree4652  That's a great idea.  Thank you!

scarletBeach7579 November 21st, 2023

Good evening, word game suggestion using the 5 Senses - Sight, Smell, Hearing, Taste and Touch describe Holidays or your Emotions associated with the 5 Senses. i.e. Christmas lights bells ringing brings me joy. 2nd game describe your Emotions using Colors, Holiday Songs, Hoilday Movies or Holiday decorations. i.e I am blue but Dreaming of a White Christmas.

LovingPeacefulHeart November 21st, 2023

@InteralAcceptance I’m not sure what my availability before, during, and after thanksgiving but I’d be happy to provide support in the room or forums when I can. ❤️ It might even give me a healthy distraction as well. 😇

GlenM November 21st, 2023

@InternalAcceptance this is very much needed. i was just watching youtube with my kids the other night and was very aware of all the alcohol commercials. seems they dial it up for the holidays. thank you for this thoughtful idea 🙏!