Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What makes you binge?

AlwaysUpFromHere March 2nd, 2015

Does anyone else NOT know why they binge. Sometimes it's cause I'm stressed and sometimes because I've been relieved of stress.. but other times I don't even know why I do it, I just can't stop eating.

itenco March 11th, 2015

I think I'm binging because of stress. I scared and nervous about a lot of changes going on in my life. I feel disgusting though, it has to stop.

Jrv562 March 16th, 2015

Emotions make me binge. I feel like I can't control them and I go crazy. I new help!

AlwaysUpFromHere OP March 26th, 2015

Have you reached out for help?

Jrv562 March 16th, 2015

*need

scarlett777 March 16th, 2015

stress causes me to binge.

Xtina7 March 20th, 2015

Any emotion makes me binge especially sad or bored. I mindlessly eat all the time. I either am eating healthy and exercising and am obsessed with losing weight or I am completely the opposite and don't care about what I put in my mouth frown

Mike511 March 25th, 2015

Usually stress does it for me. What makes it worse is I already have a sweet tooth, so even if I'm not binging, I still look for sweets. I try to just avoid them altogether that way if I do binge, at least I won't have the huge pile of calories and sugar. Not easy but its been helpful.

reallyhappyface April 5th, 2015

Its the same for me! sometimes i know why it happend but other times... i just dont know, it like i was another person and i just cant control myself :s

Bethbear April 17th, 2015

Anger

taranis May 4th, 2015

I binge eat whenever an inkling of negative emotion arises in my head.I justneed an escape. My thought process is "ok, this isn't going the way I want, I'm going to go eat whatever I want to feel better." I eat throughout the day more than I should. I'll go raid the pantry and the fridge in even the most fleeting moment of stress. I can't control it.

Marie0006 May 4th, 2015

Much like you, sometimes I can pinpoint cause, other times I have no idea. So frustrating.

betterdayswillcome May 10th, 2015

I understand you. I've been struggling with binge eating for awhile. Stress, boredom, being alone, it being the weekend or any type of vacation are all factors for me. Oh and special occasions to.

venttome88 May 11th, 2015

I usually binge when I am lonely....which is a lot. I try to keep my hands busy by doing art projects, but it doesn't always work. It also doesn't help that I do a lot of work and homework on the computer, so it's way too easy to eat at that point. I just wish i could find a way to fill the loneliness when I can't go anywhereor really change activities.

markj7511 May 11th, 2015

I binge for comfort. My mom and grandmother were great ladies, but used food to make me feel better. As an adult, when I'm upset, I reach for comfort foods to ease the pain.

grace999 June 6th, 2015

I usually binge whenever I have a lot of emotions, or just when I get bored! It doesn't help that I've always loved food :)

MetalheadMoMo6 June 26th, 2015

Being bored or tired. I mean, I have to do something either way so for some reason binging just happens.

wiggy31 June 29th, 2015

I thought it was just me that didn't have any solid idea of why I binge. Sometimes I think it's just because I like the way food feels in my mouth. Sometimes I find myself in a cycle where I need to get "sweet" tastes out of my mouth with a "savory" taste and then another "sweet" and on and on and on. It doesn't matter if eating has reached the point of painful that time. I can always seem to force it down.

simplyhappy June 29th, 2015

I binge when I havesomething in the cabinet or fridge I'm excited about.

Mostly I like to taste and eat so I order more food than j should when I go out or order delivery. Instead of just an entree, I get an appetizer because it sounds delicious! Instead of a medium pizza, I get a large. And breadsticks because they both sound yummy

Basically, I need someone to control my portions the way I control my dog's portions.

wonderfullShell26 July 15th, 2015

i binged to make me feel myslef content,and i hate i did it

SettledBreathing July 21st, 2015

Guilt, usually. A need to punish myself

uglyPandaMan July 22nd, 2015

To escape my depression, agoraphobia, and life in general.

SkyUnicorn July 28th, 2015

Sometimes because I'm anxious or upset about something, so I'm eating to numb the pain. At other times, there doesn't seem to be a reason for it, it just feels like my body is so used to it that I have to binge, even if I don't feel upset...

Fatvegan July 28th, 2015

I feel the same way. I eat for stress, sad, happy, alone, depressed, eat, eat, eat

friendlyMaple4604 August 2nd, 2015

i don't know if this will help but, i purge when i'm sad or stressed out, when i feel alone...

courteousWalker1799 August 2nd, 2015

i binge when i am sad

helpmyhealth August 23rd, 2015

Can anyone tell me the physiological harm I am doing my body by binge eating? Am I at risk of diabetes, GI problems, etc? So much of the literature is about the risks associated with obesity (not to say that those people aren't suffering and don't need our compassion).

I am a normal weight and binge once a week (approximately 3000 calories excess). I feel like all the tips are so commonsense (e.g. substitution, healthy eating, stress relief) but so hard to implement in my time of need. If I knew that what I was doing serious long term damage to my body hopefully this would be the wake-up call I need!

Anomalia August 23rd, 2015

@HelpMyHealth - There can be a multitude of dangerous effects of binge eating. To get a real sense of what's going on, you would have to talk to a doctor, but this link has a list of some of the things you might be at greater risk for.

In the meantime, you're right, that it's really hard to put to different elements of recovery into place, even when they sounds logical or simple. If you ever need to talk through it or want some extra support, feel free to reach out to me or to another listener. You can absolutely beat this! Take care

MeaningfulLives February 6th, 2016

@Anomalia

hi

i don't know how to use this app. So I'm not sure if I will even be able to find this string again.

I just got back from holiday 8 lbs heavier. Dunno how that even happens. And now I feel out of control. It occurred to me that feeling out of control makes me want to eat more. Being afraid is scary and scared or bored are my triggers to "fill up"

Any ideas?

Not sure if I'm supposed to post directly to a person and it goes into the forum or ? So please forgive if I'm doing this inelegantly 😊

Anomalia February 8th, 2016

@MeaningfulLives - Welcome to the site! Tagging you in this will hopefully mean you can find it again, but for future reference, if you go to the general forum, you can find the Eating Disorder Support area, and underneath that are subforums for different eating disorders, and threads within those that you can post in.

It makes sense that feeling out of control or afraid is a big trigger for you - I think that's quite common among people with eating disorders. But are there other coping mechanisms you can use that might help you calm some of those feelings down? What has worked for you in the past?

If you want to talk directly with me, you can PM me by hovering over my name or clicking on my profile and then clicking to message me.

Hope you're doing well, lovely!

politeCup86 December 30th, 2015

I don't even know why i binge any more, my mother is the main reason for me to binge, anything she do or say makes me binge, nowadays it's only the feeling of little empty space in my stomach annoys me and i feel i need to fill it up so i fill it up till it hurts! thinking of food all the time makes me binge. to forget all horrible feelings i binge, when i feel lonely which is a lot i binge, when i can't express my self with words :( i binge , i don't think i love food so much, i know that i don't love my self very much.

Bklea February 8th, 2016

To fill a Lack of something maybe love

politeCup86 February 9th, 2016

@Bklea it's a very ture and honest answer, i relate a lot, thanks for sharing with us

jstm February 14th, 2016

Because the stress.. And because I am lonely.

politeCup86 March 2nd, 2016

@jstm i'm sorry you are feeling this way, thanks for being honest and sharing with us, and i hope these feelings will fade , Hugs heart

0noser February 16th, 2016

This is my first post in here.

I'm trying to get to the root of this problem.

I guess I'm not very mindful when I eat. Growing up I had to eat really fast very often because my parents were always in a rush.

Eventually I found myself binging because I didnt realize how much I had eaten in a certain period of time.. Because I was eating too fast.

I have found that I can reduce this stress by choosing to eat by myself in a quiet environment where I can concentrate on the food, and no one is rushing me. But it is hard, because there is a social responsibility to eat with my family and all. I love spending time with them but I wish we could bond in other situations, not necessarily while eating. Also I don't know if isolating myself is the right answer.

The other important issue with binging is that obviously I'm not binging on fruits and vegetables, but on greasy, sugary, salty, excessive food. The last few times I've caught myself binging I went like "No, stop for a minute.. Really think about the flavor.. Isn't it kind of intoxicating.. You don't want this, you don't like this overwhelming flavors.." and I am surprised at how difficult it has turned out to be. It is like I am seriously addicted to them. I am a junkie of junk food. Today I bought some chips and as I opened them I thought to myself "but why? I dont even like them that much" I wished I had spent my money on bottled water instead of those chips, but for some reason I didn't!

Anomalia February 22nd, 2016

@0noser - I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with how self-aware you are. Both in terms of recognizing where some of it stems from for you and in finding some ways to help combat the binging. It sounds like you've taken some important steps already towards recovery. If you ever need someone to talk to or some extra support, feel free to PM me. Take care and stay strong!

BluX February 25th, 2016

I binge because I feel that's the only place where I'm safe because it's the only thing that makes me feel whole no matter what after eating I always feel OKAY!

I've gained 10KGs and I don't know what to do because I've been diagnosed with hypertension but I still cannot stop eating. The more I eat the more insecure I feel the more depressed it makes me feel but the more I still want to eat.

Someone please help... Anyone

politeCup86 February 25th, 2016

@BluX I'm very sorry for this unstoppable cycle you are experiencing, i really truly understand how you are feeling.....

It's really the main key to try to analyse your true feeling before binging food. And try to embrace those feelings and understand it very well, easier said than done. But it get easier every time you try it. And you will feel like everytime you are discovering something in you and you are removing a layer till you hit the core of the real feelings.

Thanks a lot for sharing with us and seeking help. You are doing a brave job and a very wise one.

Sending you hugs :)

BluX February 29th, 2016

@politeCup86 thank you so much.

i try everyday to get better it's extremely difficult but hopefully things will get better

ZamZam February 28th, 2016

Urges to binge lead the binging.

Mine seem to be brought on during times of stress although sometimes I binge because I perceive the pleasure of binging to be better than the pleasure of stopping.

This week I have had 3 whole dayd without binging

Woop woop!

Self love and kindness towards yourself is very important in recovery!