Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I have a terrible anxiety when it comes to phones.

airreeekuh April 14th, 2017

No, I don't mean using social media or texting but rather calling over the phone. I have a crippling anxiety when people would ask me to call someone. I don't know why but it makes my stomach feel funny and tingly. Even if it was only to call my mother, I'd just get really anxious over it. One time, my mother asked me to call hotel services to order for our food and I was just really panicking that she got mad at me and made the order herself. Does anybody get me on this level?

ikediggy April 14th, 2017

@xAlwaysHerex

Yea I'm the same way. I never actually talk on the phone. When I order pizza I make sure I find a place where I can order online. I don't think I've talked to someone on the phone is years. I refuse to answer my phone when it rings too, I just text them back. Not sure why expect the aniexity is overwhelming

BkOc April 14th, 2017

@xAlwaysHerex

I'm the same way. I hardly talk on the phone and when I do I get so worked up I start stuttering.

HolisticLiving May 12th, 2017

@airreeekuh

sometimes talking on the phone can be awkward and you may feel like you don't know how to phrase things or fear stuffing up your words. The good news is that you can get over this fear with lots of practice. Don't let fear get in your way ❤️🌈

April 14th, 2017

@xAlwaysHerex

I definitely understand how that feels! My anxiety gets so bad when I talk on the phone, I start to stutter. I also get really panicky with different accents and I have to higher the phone's volume really loud, so I can hear them. My anxiety practically makes me deaf, not sure why. I absolutely hate talking on the phone and avoid it as much as I can frown

airreeekuh OP April 14th, 2017

@TrueArrow

Yesss! Before I have to make a call, I would play and memorize ehat I have to say over and over again on my mind

HolisticLiving May 12th, 2017

@TrueArrow

can relate to the "deafness" - it's like the anxiety cripples or distracts you away from getting the whole message! Lots of practice really helps you! I rehearse a lot too and it helps so much!

JessSnow April 14th, 2017

Hi, I'm the same! Get so nervous on the phone. It doesn't matter if I'm phoning a friend or a stranger or if they have phoned me. It's something i'm trying to work on but it's so awkward! The worst part is the guilt and inadequecy after a failed phone call. *sighs* I'll tackle it at some point, I imagine!

Jess x

HairlessCat April 14th, 2017

@xAlwaysHerex

Yes, I'm the same way! I rarely pick up the phone, and never call anyone - just text/e-mail for me.

CactusC April 18th, 2017

I'm relate to this so much. I always avoid phone calls. The only person I'll answer to really is my boss because I have to. I feel like when I'm on the phone I get so anxious that I can't even really listen to or take in whatever the other person is saying.

Duckswithmoose April 18th, 2017

@airreeekuh

Totally! Calling people is *really* hard, especially with social anxiety. Even ordering a pizza can be difficult.

EJGatsby April 18th, 2017

I need to make a call to a place I have never ever spoken to before to make an appointment to see them today... I absolutley need to do it, but yeah... Bit of struggle atm. Wish me luck!

lydiadx May 12th, 2017

I suffer from the exact same phobia and I can't tell you how amazing it feels to read your posts and realize that I'm not alone! Thank you all for sharing!

sweetSnow90 May 12th, 2017

@airreeekuh

I hope you can all gain some comfort knowing that you are not alone in struggling with phone calls <3 The most important thing is that you recognise when you've tried and are proud of yourselves :)