Executive dysfunction

Avaria January 19th

EXECUTIVE DYSFUNCTION KEY POINTS

Executive (cognitive) dysfunction
aka executive function deficit

aka executive function disorder (EFD)

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

What is executive dysfunction?

Executive dysfunction is a behavioral symptom that impairs goal-directed behavior (actions, thoughts) and emotions. It can also be used as a reference to a neurocognitive deficit.

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

Who does it affect?
It is most common in people of any age with neurodevelopmental disorders, mood disorders, behavioral disorders, addictions, etc.
Examples include (but aren’t limited to): ADHD, depression, trauma, conduct disorder, russell-silver syndrome, cerebral hypoxia, anxiety, autism.

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

Why bring attention to it?
Executive dysfunction is an extremely prevalent symptom in many people’s lives, especially those who struggle with certain mental health disorders.
Though it is often mostly recognized and talked about in people with disorders such as ADHD, ASD and depression, I personally find executive function deficit very interesting on its own and I think it could be worth bringing attention to it in the context of educating and perhaps even people with the prenamed conditions find comfort in putting a name on their feeling, because I did.

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

Executive dysfunction and dopamine
People who don’t struggle with executive dysfunction get a set level of dopamine after they complete a task, which makes it worth it for them. The task may be hard but the reward makes them satisfied. For people who do struggle with executive dysfunction, they get significantly less levels of dopamine after they complete a task which is why their brains deem it undoable because there is no reward to make it worth it for them after. 

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

Executive functions
Executive function is a set of mental skills that include working memory, flexible thinking, and self-control.
Executive function skills fall into two main categories: organization and regulation. Organization uses skills to pay attention to details, plan and solve problems and regulation uses skills to regulate behavior, emotions, monitor thoughts, control impulses.

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

How to improve your executive functioning?
Addressing executive function difficulties as part of a comprehensive treatment approach for depression, for example, may involve therapeutic interventions, cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), and, in some cases, medication.
To improve your executive functioning skills on your own, a few examples of what could be done include visual aids such as making lists, using calendars and reminders as well as relieving stress by using healthy coping mechanisms (breathing techniques, meditating and learning new things (also: managing your time more effectively, listening to music).
However, it is important to note that what works for one person may not work for another and I am only bringing out a few general examples. If you’re struggling with EFD and you cannot manage it on your own, it’s important to see a medical professional about it.

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

My experience
For the longest time before starting to major in psychology, I thought that executive dysfunction is just me being lazy (which is a very common assumption about EFD). None of my therapists explained this feeling to me and I couldn’t help but feel like something was wrong with me. I felt anxious and stressed about things I wanted to get done but just physically couldn’t do any of it and I know a lot of others struggle with the same feeling, so I figured it might be a good idea to bring it up.

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

DEFINITIONS:

Working memory
Working memory is a cognitive system with a limited capacity that can hold information temporarily. It is important for reasoning and the guidance of decision-making and behavior.” - Wikipedia, “Working memory”

Flexible thinking

“Flexible thinking is the ability to think about things in a new or different way. It helps us deal with uncertainty, solve problems, adjust to changes, and incorporate new information into our plans and ideas.” - Child Mind Institute, “Helping kids with flexible thinking”

Self-control
Defined more independently, self-control is the ability to regulate one's emotions, thoughts, and behavior in the face of temptations and impulses.” - Wikipedia, “Self-control”

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

DISCLAIMER:
This post in no way is meant to be a diagnostic tool and I am only writing this for educational purposes. Executive dysfunction isn’t considered to be a lone medical condition or an official diagnosis by most medical professionals. It usually walks hand in hand with different disorders instead and is only considered a symptom.
If you suspect you may be suffering from executive dysfunction without having any previously diagnosed disorders, please contact a medical professional and talk it through. This also goes for people who do have (either previously named or altogether unnamed) mental health conditions and want an explanation for this symptom and/or a diagnosis regarding it.
If you do struggle with executive dysfunction, just know that there is nothing wrong with you and you’re perfect as you come.

Tinywhisper11 January 20th

@Avaria thankyou for opening my eyes. I had not heard of this illness before ❤❤ so thank you

Avaria OP January 20th

I'm glad to help. 😊❤️ I thought it was interesting, because I recently saw a video on a social media platform by a psychologist explaining it with a stove metaphor, which is why I figured it could be a pretty cool topic to bring up. It often gets mistaken for laziness and I very often label it that way, too, when in reality it really isn't me being lazy - specially when I want to do the thing in question.

The psychologist explained it something like this: "You see this hot burning stove? Physically I should have the ability and the motor skills to put my hand on there but mentally I cannot bring myself to do it, because it's painful. I could want to do it and people around me could tell me to do it but I will not do it. Executive dysfunction works the same. If you struggle with ADHd, have experienced trauma or even if you have depression, your brain gets way less dopamine from a task than anyone without these disorders would, so that's why your brain deems the task almost as "painful" or undoable as putting your hand on the stove. You have the motor skills and the ability to do it, but you just can't."

Thank you for reading! ❤️ I hope you learned something new. 😊

Avaria OP January 20th

ADHD*, sorry haha