7 Cups Teen Safety
Last updated: May 4, 2019
Welcome to 7 Cups!
7 Cups offers anonymous emotional support to anyone aged 13 and up through a volunteer base of active listeners, community resources, and self help. 7 Cups has specialized supports for its teen user base of 13-17 year olds.
We take the safety of our teen population very seriously with a series of processes and protocols in place to support this mission and differentially handle topics including general safety, reporting of sexual abuse, crisis, and crime reporting.
Our supports span
- product functionality to support safety and well-being
- specific referrals for professional support when active listening is not sufficient, and
- in-depth training of listeners to help users manage related emotions.
In product support
7 Cups helps individuals in situations where people need to talk about a genuine problem and manage related emotions.
In instances where issues reported are inappropriate or offensive, 7 Cups has blocking capabilities to block the offender and end the chat immediately
Sometimes a person needs more help than just listening. In these cases, we refer them to appropriate resources externally.
- You feel like the person needs more specialist help than you are able to offer as a listener.
- The person is seeking professional advice.
- The person is in a significant amount of emotional distress.
- A listener has spoken with a person several times and there is no change or improvement.
When child abuse, sexual assault, minor abuse is brought up - If the member/ help seeker reports they are a harm to themselves or others, the listener is trained to refer to crisis resources (or any other relevant/ related resources) and professionally end the chat.
General crisis referral resources
- National Suicide Prevention Line
Our formal partner organizations have custom referral resources to county mental health services and other specialized services for screening, assessment, referral and crisis counseling by phone.
- Serious issues and referrals
- Your Safety & Well Being
- Inappropriate Chats