Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Ideas to help others - If you live alone, do you cook for yourself?

User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 August 12th, 2018

or is it too much hassle for one?

If you do, what do you cook?

Lucy2 laugh

5
User Profile: ReadBooksDrinkTea
ReadBooksDrinkTea August 12th, 2018

@lucy2 I do. It saves money, I can customize as i like, etc. But I won't lie, sometimes it's a genuine hassle, it takes a lot of time, etc. I own stuff like an Instant Pot and what not but I am not above buying "prepped" foods like rotisserie chicken or already chopped veggies to save myself time. My kitchen also isn't that big so there's also space for prepping to consider.

1 reply
User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 OP August 12th, 2018

Hi @ReadBooksDrinkTea laugh

Sometimes I think it actually costs more to buy the ingrediants for some dishes if you want to try something out for instance. I do like using a slow cooker and one pot meals, throw it all in, with care of course, and it cooks itself and that usually covers at least 2-3 meals, so you can freeze what's over, now that does save money!

Lucy2

load more
User Profile: CalmWhisper22
CalmWhisper22 August 12th, 2018

I don't live alone however what I do is try to make double batches of stuff and then save the left overs for another night. Sometimes things go into the frig and other times I freeze stuff and then pull it out weeks later. I also try to do casseroles or crockpot items which sometimes are different than the normal old stuff all of the time. This also saves me time each night tring to get dinner ready or come up with an idea on what to cook all the time.

1 reply
User Profile: lucy2
lucy2 OP August 12th, 2018

That's a great idea @DanaMHlaugh

You can even mix and match if you fancy it. I've been trying not to waste any food and it's amazing how resourceful we can be if we try, and how great to just go to the freezer and take out dinner, great!

Lucy2

load more
User Profile: Axalotal
Axalotal August 12th, 2018

@lucy2

I live alone and cooking for one is a total hassle.

My solution has been to make a huge amount of something and then freeze them for meals later.
A tip, squeeze all of the air out of the freezer bag and lay the bag flat in your freezer. It takes up less space and dethaws in minutes without any worry of a frozen centre.