- Community Home
- What is 7 Cups of Tea?
- 7 Cups of Tea is an online emotional support service. Through a secure, anonymous bridging technology, we connect those in need of emotional support with our network of Active Listeners, individuals from all walks of life who want to provide compassionate care. Connections to Listeners are private, one-on-one conversations initiated on demand.
- What is Active Listening?
- Active Listening is a set of communication skills that demonstrate empathy, compassion, understanding, and respect. Active Listening is different from the normal listening we do in our everyday conversations. Instead of just “waiting to talk” or thinking about what we’re going to say once our conversation partner stops speaking, active listening requires that the listener completely focus on absorbing, comprehending, and reflecting what the speaker is saying.
Active listening is a great technique to help people feel better when they are going through hard times, dealing with loss, struggling with health issues, or just need to vent. Because active listening directs all focus towards the speaker, it removes potential sources of stress, conflict and discomfort that can happen in a regular conversation.
- How does 7 Cups of Tea connect Active Listeners with people in need of support?
- Since all connections are on demand, our service is run like a marketplace. When an individual reaches out to connect, we notify our available Listeners that a request has come in. The first Listener to respond can then begin a conversation with the individual in need of support. If an individual wants to connect to a specific Listener, they can request a direct connection by visiting that Listener’s profile.
- Is 7 Cups of Tea really anonymous?
- Yes. 7 Cups of Tea is really anonymous. Listeners only know what is disclosed to them by the person they are helping. Contact information is kept strictly confidential.
- Do Active Listeners receive training?
- Yes. Listeners are required to complete an online course which helps develop Active Listening skills. The course also goes over certain scenarios in which a Listener may need to refer the person with whom they are speaking to a professional licensed therapist, counselor, or emergency contact. While many of our Active Listeners happen to be licensed professional counselors and therapists, they do not give medical or psychological advice during conversations.
- Can I become a listener?
- We’d love to have you! Anyone can sign up to become an Active Listener. All Listeners must successfully complete our online course, which includes a mock chat. Sign up here to begin!
- What’s the story behind 7 Cups of Tea?
- It’s pretty simple. The founder, Glen, was sitting at his kitchen table talking to his wife about a problem he was having. Her close listening made him feel a lot better, and it occurred to him that he was incredibly lucky. For one, he is married to a Licensed Counselor. Furthermore, she was available when he needed to talk. Glen realized that many people do not have this same opportunity.
Not everyone has a friend or family member to talk to at all times, nor do they always feel comfortable doing so if they can. The only other real option is therapy, but that can be expensive and carries an unfortunate stigma, plus it involves scheduling. Glen envisioned 7 Cups of Tea as a third space to fill the gap in between the two current options.
- Where does the name “7 Cups of Tea” come from?
- 7 Cups of Tea is actually the name of a famous Chinese poem. The suggestion is that each cup provides a different level of healing. It’s important that our community feels that 7 Cups of Tea is a place where you can sit down and have several cups of tea with a friend. It isn’t just a one-time meeting. You can touch base as much as you like.
7 Cups of Tea, by Lu Tong (795 - 835 CE)
The first cup kisses away my thirst,
and my loneliness is quelled by the second.
The third gives insight worthy of ancient scrolls,
and the fourth exiles my troubles.
My body becomes lighter with the fifth,
and the sixth sends word from immortals.
But the seventh—oh the seventh cup—
if I drink you, a wind will hurry my wings
toward the sacred island.
Translated by Christopher Nelson
- How does 7 Cups of Tea ensure that listeners are high quality?
- Our application to become a listener includes many steps. Listeners must complete the Active Listening Training Course and receive a perfect score
on the accompanying quiz. Additionally, every listener is reviewed and may be subject to a background check to ensure they are friendly, considerate, and competent. Anyone can see how well a listener is doing simply by looking at their reviews’ cumulative score, and by checking out the badges that they have earned.
- How do I contact 7 Cups for subscription support?
- For any billing issues, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (844) 755-8757
- Have other questions? Or suggestions for how we can make the service better?
- We’d love to hear from you. Please send us an email with your thoughts: email@example.com
- What are some of your most popular pages?